Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
374 GAZETTEER OF MAINE.
one or more arms of the lake is a group of numerous hills; and a little
south-east of these are the twin peaks of Spencer Mountain, one of
which rises to a height of 4,050 feet above the sea.. In nearly the same
direction 40 or 50 miles away, Kahtahdin, the loftiest of Maines
mountains, lifts his granite head. Not far from the lake, on the south-
west, Squaw Mountain looms grandly; and beyond this, somewhat
southward, are the high peaks of Franklin County,—mounts Abraham,
Saddleback and Blue, with the New Hampshire group in the horizon.
But most impressive of all is Mount Kineo, an abrupt elevation at the
head of a peninsula that almost divides the lake in the midst. It is
composed almost entirely of hornblende, presenting the largest mass of
that rock known to geologists. On the side next the lake its precipi-
tous front rises to tbe height of 800 feet above the water. The surface
of the lake itself is 1,070 feet above the sea, giving to tbe summit of
Kineo an altitude more than 1,800 feet.
From the south-western arm of the lake issues the noble Kennebec,
forming its outlet. As a reservoir for a great river, the lake is of re-
markable character. The increase of depth in the spring is about 7
feet, and a dam commands a head of eight feet over the entire 120
square miles of its surface ; while the elevation above tide at which the
river issues gives a succession of falls of great value for manufactures.
The shores and islands are now gaining a sufficient number of good
hotels, telegraphic communication is being established, and three dis-
tinct railroads are nearly approaching the lake.
Moose River Plantation, in Somerset County oc-
cupies a tract at the junction of the angles of Dennicetown, Holden,
Altean and Jackman plantation. It is 81 miles N.N.W. of Skowhegan,
on the stage-road to Canada. The large ponds in Attean township here
have their outlet in Moose River, which flows eastward through Long
Pond into Moosehead Lake. At this plantation the stream affords a
good water-power, which is occupied by a saw-mill and grist-mill.
The first settlement was made by Samuel Holden in 1820. The.
settlement here was at first called Holdentown. It was organized as a
plantation October 16,1852. The plantation has a union church-edifice.
It has one public schoolhouse, and other school property to the value
of $400. The population in 1860 was 135. In 1870, 104. In 1880 no
separate return was made in the census.
Morrill is situated in the central part of Waldo County, 6£
miles west of Belfast. It is bounded on the north by Knox, east by
Waldo and Belfast, south by Belmont, and west by Searsmont and
Montville. The surface of the town is uneven, but with very little
waste land. Morey and Rowe hills are probably the highest eleva-
tions, though these have no great altitude. The soil is sandy in parts,
and in others clay loam. Hay and potatoes are the chief crops. The
usual forest trees of the region thrive here. Cross Pond, in this town,
contains about 100 acres, and another—Dolliff—about 50 acres. The
chief water-power is at the village on the east on the Passagassawakeag
Stream. There are here shingle and stave mills, and a horse-rake fac-
tory. Morrill is on the Belfast and Kendalls Mills stage-line. The
nearest railroad station is at Belfast. The town roads are very good.
There is one bridge 120 feet in length, constructed of stone and timber.
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2