Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON: PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
country, of whom may be mentioned Orville, an able lawyer in the
Southwest, Roscoe G., formerly surgeon in the navy, later in resident
of Arkansas. General Oliver O. Howard, well-known in the whole
country, is a native of Leeds, together with his brothers, Rowland B.,
a minister and editor of ability, and Charles H., now publisher of The
Advance, a religious journal in Chicago.
The first religious meeting held in town was in 1794, at the request
of Thomas Francis, a resident. In 1800 a Baptist church was organ-
ized, and Mr. Francis was ordained pastor. The Quakers formed an
organization and erected a meeting-house about 1807, but the sect now
appears to be extinct. The first Free Baptist church was erected about
1836, and the Methodists in 1851.
The number of schoolhouses in town is twelve, and the estimated
value of school property, $4,000. The value of estates in 1870 was
$456,348. In 1880 it was $415,486. The population in 1870 was 1,288;
in 1880 1,194. The rate of taxation is about one cent on the dollar.
A number belonging in town rendered service in the war of 1812 ;
and 161 were furnished to the national forces in the war of the
Letter E. Plantation is situated in tbe south-western
part of Franklin County. It is bounded east by Madrid, north by
Sandy River Plantation and No. 3, and south by No. 6. The town-
ship is triangular in form, about ten miles in length from east to west,
and 5 miles in width at the western and widest part. Sandy River
and its branches drain the eastern part. It is on these in the south-
eastern part of the township that the settlements are located. Thorn
Hill is the only elevation which has a well-known name; but there are
other considerable hill ranges. At the north-west corner is a group of
ponds of which the largest are known as Benns and Swift River ponds.
There are other small ponds in the east.
This plantation was organized in 1861. In 1872 a section of the
eastern part of the town was annexed to Madrid. These contained all
the largest bridges and interval farms, so that there are now in the
plantation only six farms occupied by residents, and only eight polls.
The forest trees are largely spruce and hardwood, with some hem-
lock and fir. There are plenty of ledges and bowlders to be found.
The soil on the upland is generally good for hay and grazing. Two
falls on a branch of Sandy River are worthy of mention for their
beauty. The plantation has one schoolhouse, costing about $235.
This serves for civil and religious meetings. The valuation in 1870
was $12,931. In 1880 it was $14,545. The population in 1870 was
93. In 1880 it was 27.
Levant is an agricultural town located in the middle of the
southern section of Penobscot County. It is 8 miles from Bangor, on
the Avenue Road to Exeter. The surrounding towns are Corinth
on the north, Kenduskeag and Glenburn on the east, Carmel and
Hermon on the south, and Stetson on the west. The surface is uneven,
yet without high hills. The soil is fertile, and suitably rewards the
tiller. The thriftiness of the town is apparent to all who allow them-
selves the pleasure of a drive over its main roads. The Little Kendus-
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2