Gazetteer of the State of Maine With Numerous Illustrations, by Geo. J. Varney
BOSTON. PUBLISHED BY B. B. RUSSELL, 57 CORNHILL. 1882. Public domain image from
busy and cheerful aspect, from the shipbuilding that is almost con-
stantly going on in the warmer season. Drives up and down the river
and across the country in either direction afford some very pleasing
views. This town formed a part of the Pemaquid Patent, and was first
settled about 1640 by some persons who left Pemaquid in search of new
and easy fields for their enterprise. The land titles in this town shared
in those controversies wTith which the Pemaquid Patent was harassed.
During the Indian wars the settlers were frequently driven off by the
savages, and sometimes massacred. Damariscotta was apart of Noble-
boro from the incorporation of that town until 1847, when it was set
off and incorporated. A part also was included in Bristol. It was
named for Damarine, the Indian sachem of Sagadahoc (called Robin
Hood by the English), but is now generally spoken of in the country-side
as Scottie. Another esteemed citizen of a later date was Hon. Ezra
B. French, representative in Congress in 1859 and 1860. Hon. Ec
Wilder Farley also was a member of Congress in the years 1858 and
1854. The first national Bank of this town has a capital of $50,000.
Damariscotta is a port of delivery in the Waldoboro District.
The Baptists, Episcopalians and Methodists have churches in town.
Damariscotta sustains an excellent high-school, the schools in the vil-
lage being graded. There are seven public schoolhouses, the school
property having a valuation of $3,250. The valuation of estates in
1870 was $669,719. In 1880 it was $592,208. The rate of taxation in
the latter year was 20 mills on the dollar. The population in 1870
was 1,232. In 1880 it was 1,142.
Damascus, a village in Carmel, Penobscot County.
Dais forth is situated in the extreme north of Washington
County, 88 miles from Bangor on the European and North American
Railway, which has a station in the north-eastern part of the town.
An unnamed township (IX.) lies between it and Schoodic Grand
Lake, on tbe east; the Hot-Brook Ponds lie on the western boundary;
Bancroft Plantation and Weston, in Aroostook County, bound it on
the north. The principal stream is the' outlet of Baskahegan Lake,
lying in the adjoining township south, which runs through the town from
south to north, emptying into the Mattawamkeag River. One of its
powers is occupied by a lumber-mill. The place has the other manu-
factures usual in small villages. The soil is quite fertile, and farming
is the principal occupation. The crops principally cultivated are
potatoes, hay, oats and wheat.
Danforth was incorporated March 17, 1860. It has Methodist and
Baptist churches, each of which sustains a minister. There are four
public schoolhouses; and the entire school property is valued at
$3,300. The valuation of estates in 1870 was $50,696. In 1880 it was
$106,934. The rate of taxation in 1880 was 1^ per cent. The popu-
lation in 1870 was 313. In 1880 it was 612.
DailVillC (Danville Corner, or Junction), a post-office and
station on the Grand Trunk and Maine Central Railroads, in Auburn,
Androscoggin County. These are in what was formerly the town of
Danville, now a part of Auburn.
PREVIOUS PAGE ... NEXT PAGE
This page was written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2