of Susquehanna River. 31 miles from Harris-
burg. A bridge 5690 feet in length connects this
place with Columbia, on the opposite side of the
river. It is connected by railroad with York,
Gettysburg, Baltimore, and Philadelphia.
Wyal using, Pa., Bradford co. This town lies
adjacent to and includes the mouth of Wyalu-
sing Creek. 50 miles N. W. from Wilkesbarre,
and 30 S. W. by W. from Montrose.
Wyoming County, N. Y., c. h. at Warsaw.
Formed from Genesee co. in 1841. It is bound-
ed N. by Genesee, E. by Livingston, S. by Alle-
ghany and. Cattaraugus, and W. by Erie co. Its
principal waters are Silver Lake, Allen's, Tona-
wanda, and Cattaraugus Creeks, and the Gene-
see River, which courses its S. E. corner. Sur-
face undulating; soil well adapted to grass and
grain, and in the valleys of the streams remark-
Wyoming County, Pa., c. h. at Tunkhannock.
Formed from Luzerne co. in 1841, and is bounded
N. by Susquehanna co., E. and S. by Luzerne,
and W. by Lycoming and Bradford counties
Drained by Susquehanna River and branches.
Wyoming, Pa. See Wilkesbarre.
Wyoming County, Va. New. Taken from Lo-
gan. S. W. part. Includes the upper waters of
the Guyandotte and Sandy Rivers. Mountainous.
Wythe County. Va., c. h. at Wytheville. This
county occupies the countiy between the head wa-
ters of Tennessee and Great Kanawha. It is
bounded by Grayson S. E. and S., Washington
S. W., Tazewell N. W., and Giles'and Mont-
gomery N. E.
Wytheville, Va., c. h.'Wythe co.
Xenia, 0., Xenia township, c. h. Green co. A
pleasant town, situated on Shawnee Creek. 3
miles from the Little Miami River. It is sur-
rounded by a highly cultivated, fertile country.
Yalabusha County, Mi., c. h. at Coffeeville.
Bounded N. by Ponola and Lafayette counties,
E. by Chickasaw, S. by Choctaw and Carroll, and
W. by Tallahatchee co. Drained by the Yala-
busha River and branches.
Yam Hill County, On., c. h. at La Fayette.
Between the Willamette and the coast.
Yancey County, N. C., c. h. at Burnsville. Bound-
ed W. and N. by the Stone Mountains, which
separate it from Tennessee, and by Ashe co., E. by
Caldwell, Burke, and McDowell counties, and S.
by Buncombe co. Drained by the Nolachucky
River and its branches. This county contains
the highest land in the United States E. of the
Rocky Mountains, Black Mountain being ele-
vated 6476 feet above the ocean. Copperas is
Yanceyville, Va., Louisa co., lies 14 miles N.
from Caroline Court House, and 60 N. W. from
Yarmouth, Me., Cumberland co. A pleasant
town on Casco Bay. 10 miles N. of Portland,
with which it is connected by the Portland and
Montreal Railroad, and 42 S. E. from Augusta.
There is a fine stream of water, on which is a pa-
per mill and other manufactories. It was for-
merly called North Yarmouth.
Yarmouth, Ms., Barnstable co., was first settled
in the year 1637. It was called Mattacheeset, or
Muttacheest, by the Indians. It was incorporated
as a town in* 1639. The soil in many parts is
quite productive. There are large tracts of salt
meadow in the town, which is very valuable.
German's Hill, 136 feet above the sea, is the
highest land in the town. Yarmouth extends
across Cape Cod, and has good harbors on each
side of it, of ample depth of water for fishing and
coasting vessels. In this town are a number of
large and beautiful ponds, of pure and soft fresh
water. From one of these ponds issues Bass
River, affording a small water power; at its
mouth is a good harbor. The government of the
United States have recently erected a breakwater
for its protection. There are a number of pleas-
ant villages in this town : those called Yarmouth,
Yarmouth Port, South Yarmouth, and West
Yarmouth'are the most important. The second
temperance society ever established was organized
in Yarmouth, in 1817. a short time after the es-
tablishment of that in Boston, which was the first
in the world. In and about the numerous ponds
and large salt meadows, in this town and Barn-
stable, are found an abundance of fowl and fish
in their season. Yarmouth Port lies 4 miles E.
from Barnstable, and 69 S. E. from Boston.
Yates County, N. Y., c. h. at Milo. Formed
from Ontario in 1823. It is bounded N. by On-
tario co., E. by Seneca Lake, S. by Steuben, and
W. by Steuben and Ontario counties. Surface
pleasantly diversified ; soil various, but mostly
very fertile. This county contains an inflamma-
ble gas, a sulphur, and a salt spring. Seneca
and Crooked Lakes lie partly within its limits,
and are united by the outlet and Crooked Lake
Canal. It is also watered on the N. W. by Can-
Yates, N. Y., Orleans co. Watered by John-
son's Creek and other small streams flowing into
Lake Ontario, which bounds it on the N. Sur-
face level: soil sandy and clay loam. 12 miles
N. from Albion, and 267 N. of W. from Albany.
Yell County, As., c. h. at Danville. Bounded
N. by Johnson and Pope counties, E. by Perry,
S. by Montgomery, and W. by Scott co. Drained
by the Petite Jean, La Feve, and other branches
of the Arkansas River, which runs on its N. E.
Yonkers, N. Y., Westchester co. Watered on
the E. by Bronx and Saw Mill Rivers, and
bounded on the W. by the Hudson. Surface
somewhat rough and uneven; soil clay and
sandy loam. 10 miles S. W. from White Plains,
and 130 S. from Albany.
York County, Me., c. h. at Alfred. In the S. W.
corner of the state. Watered by the Salmon
Falls on its W. border, and the Saco on the E.
The soil is hard and rocky, yet with some good
land; surface rough and uneven, with occasional
mountains. The seacoast is without harbors,
except two or three inferior ones. The railroad
from Boston to Portland passes through it, par-
allel with the coast.
York, Me., c. h. York co. This is an ancient
maritime town, on the coast between Kittery and
Wells. It is bounded W. by South Berwick
This was for many years the shire town, and the
place of holding the courts and keeping the
records for the whole province, until the counties
of Cumberland and Lincoln were set off in 1760.
York has a court house and jail, but all the
county courts have been, within a few years past,
removed to Alfred. The principal harbor is
York River, about 6 miles from Portsmouth, N.
II., with water sufficient for vessels from 200 to
300 tons' burden. The entrance, however, is dif