West Findlay, Pa., Washington co. Watered
by branches of Wheeling Creek. Surface hilly;
soil loam. 231 miles W. from Harrisburg.
Westford, Ms.. Middlesex co. This is a good
farming town, on elevated ground. The surface
and soil are well adapted to the growth of grain,
grass, and fruit. Quantities of fine granite,
called Chelmsford granite,'' are found here,
quarried, and transported. Westford is watered
by several beautiful ponds, and by Stony Brook,
which rises in the town. The village in the
centre of the town is handsomely situated on a
swell of fine land. 28 miles N. W. from Boston,
and 10 N. W. from Concord.
Westford, N. Y., Otsego co. Elk and Cherry
Valley Creeks water this town. Surface hilly;
soil productive sandy loam. 8 miles S. E. from
Cooperstown, and 68 W. from Albany.
Westford, Vt., Chittenden co. Westford was
settled soon after the revolutionary war, by
Hezekiah Parmelee and others. The town is
well watered by Brown's River, a branch of the
Lamoille. The surface is rough, and the soil
good for grazing. 13 miles N. N. E. from Bur-
lington, and 35 N. W. from Montpelier.
West Goshen, Pa., Chester co. Drained by
branches of Chester- Creek, and of Brandywine
River. Surface gently sloping ; soil sandy loam.
Westhampton, Ms., Hampshire co., was first
gettled about the year 1767, and formed the W.
parish of Northampton, until its incorporation in
1778. The features of the town are generally
rough, but pleasing ; the soil is good. A number
of streams rise in the high lands, among which is
the Manhan, affording a water power sufficient for
domestic uses. There is a neat village near the
centre of Westhampton, which lies 8 miles W. S.
W. from Northampton, and 98 W. by S. from
West Haven, Vt., Rutland co. West Haven
was set off from Fair Haven in 1792. It is well
watered by Hubbardston and Poultney Rivers,
and Cogman's Creek, on the former of which are
handsome falls and mill sites. 19 miles W. from
West Hempfield, Pa., Lancaster co. Bounded
W. by the Susquehanna River, N. by Chiques
Creek, and drained by Strickler's Creek. Sur-
face hilly; soil calcareous loam. 8 miles W.
West Liberty, Ky., c. h. Morgan co. On the N.
E. side of Licking River. 107 miles E. by S.
Westminster, Md., Frederick co. This village
is situated on the road from Baltimore to Cham-
bersburg. 30 miles N. W. from Baltimore, and
a similar distance N. E. from Frederick.
Westminster, Ms., Worcester co. This town
lies on the range of high lands which separate
the waters of the Connecticut and Merrimac.
Several streams, rising from large ponds in this
town and its neighborhood, produce a considera-
ble water power. The town was first settled in
1737. There is a handsome village in the centre.
50 miles W. N. W. from Boston, and 20 N. by
W. from Worcester.
Westminster, Vt., Windham co. The surface
and soil of Westminster are favorable for agricul-
ture. The principal and oldest village is delight-
fully situated in the E. parish, on the bank of
Connecticut River. It is enclosed by a semi-
circle of hills, which touch the river about 2 miles
above and below the town. It is this barrier
which, while it contributes to the natural beauty
of the place, has, by turning the watercourses in
another direction, deprived it of all those facil-
ities of access and of water power which have so
much contributed to the rapid growth of some of
the neighboring villages. The earliest perma-
nent settlers came from Northfield, Ms., and
from Ashford and Middleton, Ct., about 1741,
and were soon followed bv others from the same
states. 82 miles S. from Montpelier, and 13 N. E.
from Newfane. This town lies a little below
Bellows Falls, and is in the vicinity of two rail-
West Monroe, N. Y., Oswego co. Watered by
Bay Creek, flowing into Oneida Lake, which
bounds it on the S. Surface level; soil sandy
loam. 25 miles S. E. from Oswego, and 147 N.
W. from Albany.
Westmore, Vt., Orleans co. Westmore con-
tains Willoughby's Lake, a handsome sheet of
water, surrounded by Mounts Hor, Pico, and
other elevations. Branches of Barton, Clyde,
and Passumpsic Rivers rise in this and other
ponds in the town. Westmore appears to be too
high for the habitation of many people, or cattle.
The settlement commenced here about the year
1800 : it was abandoned during the war of 1812,
but resumed on the return of peace. 12 miles E.
from Irasburg, and 52 N. E. from Montpelier.
Westmoreland, N. H., Cheshire co. This town
lies on the E. side of Connecticut River, and is
watered by several small streams, which empty
into it. The one issuing from Spafford's Lake,
in Chesterfield, is the largest, and affords some
of the best water privileges in the town. The sur-
face is less varied than the neighboring towns.
First settlers: four families settled in 1741. 65
miles S. W. from Concord, and about 10 W.
from Keene. A railroad passes through the
Westmoreland, N. Y., Oneida co. Oriskany
Creek and one of its branches water this town.
Surface level; soil chiefly fertile loam. 12 miles
W. from Utica, and 105 N. of W. from Albany.
Westmoreland County, Pa, c. h. at Greensburg.
Somerset is on the S., Washington W., Alle-
ghany N. W., Armstrong and Indiana N., and
Bedford E. This county is well watered. The
Monongahela forms its extreme western border,
near'which it is traversed by the Youghiogany.
Its entire northern limit is formed by the Kis-
kiminitas, and its north-western by the Alle-
ghany, whilst its surface is drained by the numer-
ous confluents of these rivers. The country is
hilly, and in part mountainous; soil productive
in grain, pasturage, and fruit.
Westmoreland County, Va., c. h. at Leeds. Po-
tomac River is on the N. E. of this county, King
George co. N. W., Rappahannock River and
Richmond S., and Northumberland S. E.
West Newbury, Ms., Essex co. This delightful
agricultural town was taken from ancient New-
bury in 1819. It occupies an elevated situation
on the S. bank of the Merrimac. The soil is
excellent. The town is connected with Rocks
Village, Haverhill, by an excellent bridge over
the Merrimac. West Newbury lies 4 miles W.
from Newburyport, and, by the railroad from
Newburyport, 38 N. from Boston.
Weston, Ct., Fairfield co. Weston was taken
from Fairfield in 1787. It was settled in 1738.
The town is watered by Saugatuck and Mill
Rivers and a pleasant brook, which, furnish a