ga River waters this town. Surface undulating;
soil argillaceous mould, and calcareous gravel.
12 miles N. E. from Cortland, and 131 W. from
Trydriffen, Pa., Chester co. This township
adjoins Montgomery co. on the N. E., and lies
between Charlestown and Radnor townships.
Tuftonboro1, N. H., Carroll co. There are sev-
eral ponds in this town, together with many small
streams, running into Winnipiseogee Lake. The
soil is various. There are several arms of the
lake stretching far into the town, and presenting
from the elevated parts a succession of beautiful
views. First settlers, Benjamin Bean, Phinehas
Graves, and Joseph Peavey, about 1780. 50 miles
E. by N. from Concord, and about 8 W. from
Tully, N. Y., Onondaga co. Watered by Onon-
daga Creek and some small lakes which are the
sources of the Tioughnioga River. This is
mostly a level town, with a soil well suited to
grass. 16 miles S. from Syracuse, and 128 W.
Tuckerton, N. J., Little Egg Harbor, Burlington
Co. This village and port of entry is situated on
the Atlantic Ocean, at the head of Tuckerton
Mill Creek, which empties into the Bay of Little
Egg Harbor. It is handsomely laid out, the
streets crossing at right angles, and shaded with
poplar and willow trees. From Philadelphia it is
52 miles. 6 miles from Little Egg Harbor Bay,
and 69 miles S. from Trenton. The manufacture
of salt is carried on here, and wood and lumber
are exported. The place is resorted to in the
summer for sea bathing.
Tunica County, Mi., c. h. at Peyton. Bounded
N. by De Soto co., E. bvDe Soto and Ponola, S.
by Tallahatchee co., and W. by Coahoma co.
and the M ississippi River, dividing it from Ar-
kansas. Drained by Cold Water River and
some smaller branches of the Mississippi. There
are several small lakes in this county.
Tunkhannock, Pa., c. h. Wyoming co. Bounded
S. W. by the Susquehanna "River, and drained by
Tunkhannock and Meshoppen Creeks. Surface
uneven; soil fertile on the margins of the streams.
154 miles N. N. E. from Harrisburg. 55 miles
Tuolumne County, Ca., c. h. at Sonora, stretches
across the valley of the San Joaquim, into the
mountain ranges on both sides.
Turin, N. Y., Lewis co. Watered by some
small streams flowing into Black River, which
bounds it on the E. Surface rolling; soil rich
loam. 6 miles S. from Martinsburg, and 121 N.
W. from Albany.
Turner, Me., Oxford co. A tributary of the
Androscoggin meets that river in this town, and
finely waters it. The soil of Turner is good, and
its surface pleasant. There is a number of thriv-
ing villages in the town; there are considerable
trade and some manufactures, but the business
of the people is generally agricultural. It has
Livermore on its, N., Leeds and Greene on its E.,
Minot and Auburn on its S., and Bucktield and
Hebron on its W. 38 miles W. S. W. from Au-
gusta, and 14 E. from Paris.
Tuscarawas County, 0., c. h. at New Philadel-
phia. Stark bounds it on the N., Harrison and
Carrol on the E., Harrison and Guernsey on the
S., and Coshocton and Holmes counties on the W.
It is watered by Tuscarawas, Sandy, Conoton,
Stillwater, and Sugar Creeks. Emigrants from
Pennsylvania and Virginia settled here about the
year 1803 or 1804; they were mostly of German
Tuscaloosa County, Aa., c. h. at Tuscaloosa.
This county is .bounded N. by Jefferson, E. by
Shelby and Bibb, W. by Pickens, and S. by Perry
Tuscaloosa, Aa. City and shire town of Tusca-
loosa co. On the left bank of the Black Warrior
River. 123 miles N. W. from Montgomery, and
about 250 miles N. from Mobile. It is at the
head of steamboat navigation from the Mobile
Bay. This was the seat of government of the
state until recently, when the capital was removed
to Montgomery. The city is handsomely laid
out, and contains, besides the county buildings,
several churches, a masonic hall, an academy, a
lyceum for boys, an athenaeum for young ladies,
the Alabama Institute, and the halls of the Uni-
versity of Alabama, which is located here. The
university buildings are situated about a mile E.
of the centre of the city. They are 5 in number,
besides professors' houses, and make an imposing
appearance. See Colleges.
Tuscumbia, Mo., c. h. Miller co. On the N. W.
side of Osage River. 35 miles S. W. from Jeffer-
Tuskegee, Aa., c. h. Macon co. On a branch of
Tallapoosa River. 152 miles E. S. E. from Tus-
Twiggs County, Ga., c. h. at Marion. Wilkinson
is on the N. E., Pulaski S. E., Jones N. W., and
Ockmulgee River, or Monroe co., W.
Tyboine, Pa., Perry co. A township joining the
S. E. side of the Tuscarora Mountain.
Tyler County, Ts., c. h. at Woodville. In the
S. E. angle, on the W. side of the Neches.
Tyler County, Va,, c. h. at Middlebourne, has a
fertile soil, but broken surface. It is bounded
N. W. by the Ohio River, N. bv Ohio co., S. E.
by Harrison, and S. W. by Wood.
Tyngsboro1. Ms., Middlesex co., was formerly
attached to Dunstable. It was incorporated as a
district in 1789, to enable it to receive a donation
from Mrs. Sarah Winslow, daughter of Ebenezer
Tyng, for whom the town was named. This is a
pleasant town, on both sides of Merrimac River.
There is not much water power in the town, and
the soil is light and sandy. The name of the first
white inhabitant was Cranwell, originally from
England, but last from Boston. Tyngsboro', by
the railroads, lies 8 miles W. by N. from Lowell,
and 34 N. W. from Boston.
Tyre, N. Y., Seneca co. Watered by Clyde, a
branch of Seneca River, which bounds it on the
E. Surface level; soil calcareous and sandy
loam. 8 miles N. E. from Waterloo, and 171 N.
of W. from Albany.
Tyringham, Ms., Berkshire co. This town was
first settled in 1739. It is said to have received its
name at the suggestion of Lord Viscount Howe,
a few days before he fell in battle at Ticonderoga,
July 6, 1758. who owned lands in Tyringham, in
England. This town is twice crossed by two
heavy ranges of hills. In the hollow between
these ranges, the Hop Brook, rising in a small
pond in Otis, flows westerly, and discharges itself
into the Housatonic, in Lee. It derives its name
from the wild hops which formerly grew upon
its banks. In this town are a number of ponds
and small rivers, whose waters fall into the
Housatonic. Although the surface is rough and
uneven, yet the soil is strong and productive.