granite into various forms for building, which,
when prepared, is transported by water. The
granite is of excelleht quality, and is found in
large quantities on the river. This is a fine town
and the neighboring country is very pleasant and
fertile, and well cultivated. 36 miles S. E. from
Augusta, and 37 E. from Wiscasset.
Thompson, Ct., Windham co. This town was
formerly a part of Killingly, and was first set-
tled about the year 1715. The surface is hilly,
but not mountainous; it presents a pleasing
variety of elevations and valleys. The soil is
a gravelly loam, strong, and productive of good
crops of corn and hay, and affords excellent
pasturage. French River meets the Quinebaug
near the centre of the town, and Five Mile River,
issuing from several ponds, waters the eastern part.
These streams give to the town a valuable water
power, and on their banks are the pleasant and
thriving villages of Masonsville, Fishersville, and
New Boston. This town is large, and very
pleasant; it contains a class of enterprising and
intelligent agriculturists and mechanics. The
Indian name of the place was Quinnetessett. 47
miles E. N. E. from Hartford, 27 W. N. W. from
Providence, and 53 S. W. from Boston.
Thompson, N. Y., c. h. Sullivan co. It is
watered by Mongoup and Neversink Rivers.
Surface rather hilly; soil gravelly and sandy loam.
113 miles S. W. from Albany.
Thompsonville, Ct., in Enfield, Hartford co.
At the junction of Freshwater with the Con-
necticut, and on the railroad from Springfield to
Hartford. 20 miles N. from Hartford. There is
here a large manufactory of carpets of the best
quality. See Enjidd, Ct.
Thornbury, Pa., Chester co. Drained by Brandy-
wine River and Chester Creek. Surface level; soil
sandy loam. 87 miles E. by S. from Harrisburg.
Thornbury, Pa., Delaware co. A township be-
tween Egmont and Birmingham. 18 miles W.
S. W. from Philadelphia.
Thorndike, Me., Waldo co. An inland town-
ship. 59 miles N. E. from Augusta.
Thornton, N. H., Grafton co. This town is wa-
tered by Pemigewasset and Mad Rivers, and sev-
eral small brooks. On Mill Brook there is a cas-
cade, at which the water falls 7 feet in 2 rods,
and then falls over a rock 42 feet perpendicularly.
The intervales on the Pemigewasset are produc-
tive. There are many elevations, but none dis-
tinguished for a remarkable height. First set-
tler, Benjamin Hoit, in 1770. 12 miles N. from
Plymouth, and 55 N. by W. from Concord.
Three Rivers, Mn., St. Joseph co. 145 miles
S. W. from Detroit. It lies on St. Joseph River,
between the junction of Portage River and Stony
Creek, and has great water privileges. Boats of
30 tons come up the river to this place.
Ticonderoga, N. Y., Essex co. Watered by the
outlet of Lake George and by some small streams
flowing into Lake Champlain, which bounds it on
the E. Surface mostly level on the E., and hilly
and mountainous on the W. In the S. E. part is
the peninsula, on which are the ruins of old Fort
Ticonderoga. 97 miles N. N. E. from Albany.
Tiffin, 0., c. h. Seneca co. On Sandusky River.
85 miles N. from Columbus.
Tilden, Me. Hancock co. Anew town taken
from Mariaville in 1850.
Tinicum, Pa., Bucks co. Bounded on the N.
and E. by Delaware River, and drained by Tini-
cum Creek. Tohickon Creek also runs on its S.
boundary. Surface level or undulating; soil
sandy loam. 12 miles N. E. from Doylestown.
Tinicum, Pa.. Delaware co. This township
consists mostly of grazing farms. It lies on the
Delaware, below the mouth of Darby Creek,
about 6 miles from Philadelphia,
Tinmouth, Yt,, Rutland co. This town is sep-
arated from Wallingford by Otter Creek. Fur-
nace Brook rises from a pond in the south part
of the town. This stream has been noted for
great quantities of fish of an extraordinary size.
The surface of Tinmouth is hilly, in some parts
mountainous. There is good land on the streams,
and the high land is good for pasturage. There
are several quarries of beautiful marble in this
town, and iron ore in abundance. The settlement
was commenced here about the year 1770. The
town was organized March 11, 1777. From Rut-
land, 8 miles S.
Tioga County, N. Y., c. h. at Owego, was
formed from Montgomery co. in 1794. It is
bounded N. by Tompkins and Cortland, E. by
Broome co., S. by the state of Pennsylvania, and
W. by Chemung co., and is watered by the Sus-
quehanna River and Owego Creek and tributa-
ries. Surface hilly; soil well adapted to grazing,
and in the valleys very fertile. This county has
little mineral wealth. It is traversed by the
New York and Erie Railroad, which follows
the valley of the Susquehanna River.
Tioga, N. Y., Tioga co. Watered by the Sus-
quehanna River and some of its branches. Sur-
face hilly; soil gravelly loam, very fertile in the
valleys. 5 miles W. from Owego, and 172 S.
of W. from Albany.
Tioga County, Pa., c. h. at Wellsboro'.
This county has Steuben co., N. Y., on the N.,
Bradford, Pa., E., Lycoming S. E. and E., and
Potter W. The soil is of a middling quality,
the surface broken. The main southern branch
of Tioga River rises in the S. E. angle, and trav-
erses this county, flowing N. into New York.
The sources of Pine Creek drain its S. W. angle.
Tionesta, Pa., Yenango co. Drained by some
streams flowing into the Susquehanna River,
which bounds it on the N. W. 206 miles W. N.
W. from Harrisburg.
Tippah County, Mi., c.h. at Ripley. Bounded
N. by Tennessee, E. by Tishamingo co., S. by
Pontotoc and W. by Marshall co. Drained by
Hatchie, Muddy, Wolf, and Tippah Creeks, and
the head branches of Tallahatchee River.
Tippecanoe County, la., c. h. at Lafayette.
Bounded N. and N. E. by White and Carroll
counties, E. by Clinton, S. by Montgomery, and
W. by Fountain and Warren counties. Drained
by Wabash and Tippecanoe Rivers, Wild Cat
Creek and its branches, which afford water power.
Surface level or undulating, a large part being
prairie. The Wabash and Erie Canal traverses
Tipton, Io., c. h. Cedar co. On a high prairie,
a little W. from Sugar Creek.
Tipton County, la., c. h. at Tipton. New. N.
central part of the state.
Tipton County, Te., c. h. at Covington. The
Mississippi River is on the W. of this county,
Shelby co. S., Fayette S. E., Haywood E., and
Lauderdale N. The general course of the Mis-
sissippi River in this county is S. W. It is very
Tisbury, Ms., Dukes co., extends from Yineyard
Sound on the N. to the sea on the S. The noted