a number of public squares, and has among its
public buildings a state house, court house, jail,
an academy, and churches of the Episcopal, Pres-
byterian, and Methodist denominations. It is
connected by a railroad with Port Leon, 26 miles
distant, on the Appalachee Bay, which maybe
regarded as the port of Tallahassee.
Tallahatchee County, Mi., c. h. at Charleston.
Bounded N. by Ponola co., E. by Yalabusha, S.
by Carroll and Sunflower, and W. by Sunflower
and Coahoma counties. .Drained by Talla-
hatchee River and tributaries.
Tallapoosa County, Aa., c. h. at Dadeville.
Bounded N. by Talladega and Randolph coun-
ties, E. by Chambers, S. by Macon and Mont-
gomery, and W. by Coosa co. Drained by Tal-
lapoosa River and its tributaries.
Taliaferro County, Ga., c. h. at Crawfordsville.
Lying in the N. E. part of the state, and having
Oglethorpe co. on the N., Wilkes on the E. and
N. E., Hancock on the S. and S. E., and Greene
on the W. It has a length of 17 miles, and a
mean width of 8 miles, with an area of 136 square
miles. It has a general declivity towards the S.
E., and is drained in that direction by the higher
sources of the Ogeechee and Little Rivers. Its
staple productions are cotton, corn, and wheat.
Tallidap, Mi., c. h. Issaquena co.
Tama County, Io. S. E. central part of the
state. On the Iowa River.
Tamaqua, Pa., Schuylkill co. 79 miles N. E.
from Harrisburg. On Tamaqua or Little Schuyl-
kill River. Connected by railroad with Port
Carbon. Abundance of anthracite coal is found
in this vicinity, and the coal trade is the principal
source of wealth.
Taney County, Mo., c. h. at Forsyth. Bounded
N. by Green and Wright counties, E. by Ozark
co., S. by Arkansas, and W. by Barry and Law-
rence counties. Drained by White River and its
Tappahannock, Ya., c. h. Essex co. 50 miles
N. E. by E. from Richmond. A port of entry on
Tarboro', N. C., c. h. Edgecombe co. On the
W. bank of Tar River, at the head of steam-
boat navigation, and 76 miles E by N. from Ra-
Tariffville, Ct., in the town of Simsbury, Hart-
ford co. On the W. side of Farmington River.
12 miles N. from Hartford. Here is a large man-
ufactory of ingrain carpeting.
Tarlton, 0., Picl^way co. 46 miles S. from
Columbus. On Salt Creek, a tributary of the
Tatnall County, Ga., c. h. at Perry's Mills, is
bounded N. E. by Canouchee River or Bullock co.,
S. E. by Liberty and Wayne, N. W. by Emanuel,
W. by Telfair and Montgomery, and S. by Ap-
pling. On the western boundary of this county
the Oconee and Ockmulgee Rivers unite, and
form the Alatamaha. The Alatavnaha winds S. E.
along the county, and receives Great Ohoopee
from the N.
Taunton, Ms., one of the shire towns of Bristol
co. Situated on Taunton River, at its junction
with Mill River. By the railroads, 35 miles S.
from Boston, 20 N. by W. from New Bedford,
and 31 E. by N. from Providence, R. I. Popula-
tion in 1790, 3804; 1800, 3860; 1810, 3907;
1820, 4520; 1830, 6042; 1840, 7645; 1850,
This town contains some excellent land, which
is under a high state of cultivation. But the at-
tention of the people has long been turned chiefly
to manufacturing pursuits. The Taunton River,
so much celebrated for the multitude of alewives
taken from its waters, is no less important for the
great and widely-distributed water power it pro-
duces. It is also navigable for small vessels
between this place and Fall River, about 17
miles S. W., where it empties into Mount Hope
Bay. There is some navigation owned in Taun-
ton, which is employed in the coastwise trade
and domestic fishery.
The village contains a large number of hand-
some public and private buildings, located around
and in the vicinity of a beautiful enclosure, called,
from time immemorial, Taunton Green.'' This
public ground is handsomely ornamented with
trees, which give a peculiar charm to the place.
The court house, on one side of this green, is a
tasteful edifice, with a portico of four Ionic
columns. There are nine or ten churches in the
place, several of which have beautiful houses of
worship. Many of the private mansions are
finely situated, and give evidence of the taste and
affluence of their occupants.
The Mount Pleasant Cemetery, a short distance
from the green, is laid out on the plan of Mount
Auburn, near Boston, and is among the most
pleasing of bur rural cemeteries. The ladies of
Taunton have erected here a chaste and beautiful
monument to the memory of Miss Elizabeth
Pool, the pious Puritan lady, of family and for-
tune, who conceived the bold design of planting
a church among the Indians in this part of the
wilderness, and for that purpose came, with others,
from Taunton, in England, in 1639, and formed
the settlement here. She died in 1654.
There are in Taunton a large number of cotton
mills, print works, paper mills, nail factories,
forges, furnaces, &c. Here are also manufac-
tures of leather, boots, shoes, hats, chairs, straw
bonnets, books, bricks, and other articles. Iron
works were established here as early as 1652, and
nails, to a large amount, continue to be among
the products of the manufactures. Britannia
ware is made here, which, in the quality of the
metal, and in the beauty of its polish, is said to be
equal to any which is imported.
Taunton is approached from all points, with
great facility, by the different lines of railroad
communication connected with the railroad from
Boston to New Bedford, which passes through
the town. This town has long attracted the at-
tention of skilful mechanics and men of wealth
as a place of business, and of persons of taste and
elegant leisure as an agreeable and healthful
place of residence. There are a number of beau-
tiful ponds in the vicinity, and some high grounds
from which delightful prospects are obtained, of-
fering attractions, especially in the summer sea-
son, to persons wishing for temporary as well as
permanent residence at a convenient remove
from the heat and bustle of our crowded cities.
Taylor County, Io. On the southern border
of the state.
Taylor County, Ky., c. h. at Campbellsville.
Central part of the state. New. Taken from
Green. Drained by affluents of Green River.
Undulating and fertile.
Taylor County, Ya., c. h. at Proutytown. N.
W. part of the state. Watered by the W. fork
of the Monongahela, which passes through it
from S. E. to N. W. Hilly.