the head branches of Eall Creek. A hilly town,
with a pretty good soil. 24 miles S. E. from
Auburn, and 147 W. from Albany.
Summit, N. Y., Schoharie co. Watered by
branches of Schoharie Creek, and by Charlotte
River. This is an elevated and hilly town, with
a soil well suited to grass. 16 miles S. W. from
Schoharie, and 52 S. of W. from Albany.
Summit County, 0., c. h. at Akron. In the
N. E. angle of the state. Drained by head streams
of the Tuscarawas, and by the Cuyahoga and
Little Cuyahoga, which afford much water power.
Crossed from N. to S. by the Ohio Canal, with
which the Ohio and Pennsylvania Canal unites
in this county.
Sumner, Me., Oxford co. On a branch of the
Androscoggin. 44 miles W. from Augusta.
Sumner County, Te.. c. h. at Gallatin. This
county is bounded by Kentucky N., Smith E.,
Cumberland River or Wilson S., Davison S. W.,
and Robertson N. W. Cumberland River washes
it on the S., and it is drained by various creeks
of that stream.
Sumpter County, Aa., c. h. at Livingston. W.
part. Between the Tombigbee, by whose affluents
it is watered, and the Mississippi line.
Sumpter County, Ga., c. h. at Americus. S. W.
part. Drained by confluents of the Flint River,
which washes it on the E. from the Mississippi
to the Pearl.
Sumpter District, S. C., c. h. at Sumpterville.
This district has Santee River or Charleston dis-
trict on the S., Santee River or Orangeburg S.
W., Wateree River or Richland W., Kershaw N.
W., Lynch's Creek River or Darlington N. E.,
and Williamsburg N. The surface is level, and
the soil generally sandy. A branch of Black
River, called Great Pedee, drains the centre of
this district. The canal connecting Santee River
with Charleston Harbor leaves the Santee nearly
opposite to the S. E. angle of Sumpter.
Sumpterville, S. C., c. h. Sumpter district. Oh
the dividing ground between the two main branch-
es of Black River, about 100 miles a little W. of
N. from Charleston.
Sunbury, Ga., Liberty co. A town and port of
entry, on the S. side of Newport River. Cath-
erine Island, which lies off the entrance of the
harbor, forms and defends it from the weather.
An academy was erected here in 1788. 45 miles
S. by W. from Savannah.
Sunbury, Pa. Seat of justice of Northumber-
land co. 58 miles N. by E. from Harrisburg.
It is beautifully situated on a broad plain on the
E. side of the Susquehanna, just below the con-
fluence of its N. and W. branches at Northum-
berland. The navigation of the Pennsylvania
Canal is carried across the river by a basin in
front of the town, nearly a mile in width, created
by the Shamokin dam, 2783 feet long, a short
distance below. A railroad is in operation for
19 miles, from Sunbury to the Shamokin coal
mines, which was originally projected to extend
to Pottsville. An enterprise is on foot for the
development of a great water power, by the con-
struction of a short canal from the Susquehan-
na basin, in the rear of the town, to empty into
the Shamokin Creek, below the level of the great
dam. With this improvement, and the abundant
supplies of coal, iron, and limestone in the imme-
diate vicinity, Sunbury must become an active
manufacturing place. A bridge about a mile
above the town, aeross the N. branch of the
Susquehanna, connects it with Northumber
Sunderland, Ms., Franklin co. This town lies
on the E. side of Connecticut River. It was taken
from Hadley in 1718. The central village of
Sunderland is pleasantly situated on a fine inter-
vale of land, on the E. bank of Connecticut River.
North village is 3 miles from the centre, and
Plum Tree village 3 miles S. At the central
village there is a bridge over the Connecticut.
Mount Toby lies partly in Sunderland and partly
in Leverett. See Mountains and Caves. 90 miles
W. from Boston, and 9 S. by E. from Greenfield.
Sunderland, Yt., Bennington co. The Batten
kill River passes through the town, and on it are
some fine alluvial flats. Roaring Branch origi-
nates in several large ponds in the eastern part
of the town, and running westerly, unites with
the Battenkill in Arlington. The soil consists
of alluvion, loam, and marl. Near the foot of
the Green Mountains, the sulphurct of iron is
found in considerable quantities. On the side of
the mountain a vein of lead ore has been discov-
ered in granular limestone. The settlement was
commenced in 1766, by emigrants from Connec-
ticut. 87 miles S. W. from Montpelier, and 15
N. by E. from Bennington.
Sunflower County, Mi., c. h. at McNutt. New.
Sunkhaze, Me., Penobscot co. Sunkhaze Stream
meets the Penobscot, from the E., about 15 miles
above Old Town village, in Orono. The planta-
tion of Sunkhaze lies on this stream, 82 miles N.
E. from Augusta.
Surry, N. H., Cheshire co., is watered by Ashu-
elot River, on which there is a tract of valuable
meadow land, extending almost the whole length
of the town. On the E. side of Ashuelot River
is a steep and high mountain, on the summit
of which is a pond of about 3 acres in extent,
and about 25 feet depth of water. Surry was
originally a part of Gilsum and Westmoreland,
and derived its name from Surry in England.
First settler, Peter Hayward, in 1764. 52 miles
S. W. from Concord, and 6 N. W. from Keene,
Surry County, N. C., Rockford and Huntsville
shire towns. Surry co. is bounded N. by Vir-
ginia, E. by Stokes co., N. C., S. by Row-
an and Iredell, and W. by Wilkes and Ashe.
The surface is hilly, and in part mountainous, and
the county is drained by the extreme northern
sources of the Yadkin.
Surry County, Ya., c. h. at Surry. This
county has James River on the N. and N. E., Isle
of Wight S. E., Sussex S. W. and W., and
Prince George N. W. In Surry rise the N. E.
sources of Black River, a branch of Nottaway.
Susquehanna Comity, Pa., c. h. at Montrose.
Broome co., N. Y., is on the N., Wayne co.,
Pa, E., Luzerne S., and Bradford W. The
soil generally is of a middling quality, and
the surface hilly. The local features of this
county are very peculiar. The Susquehanna en-
ters and again retires from its northern border,
and thence, after an immense sweep through
Broome and Tioga counties, N. Y., and.Brad-
ford co., Pa., it again reaches, in the N. W.
angle of Luzerne, within less than 5 miles
from the S. W. angle of Susquehanna. From this
singular position, the creeks of the latter county
flow from its centre like radii of a circle, and yet
nearly all enter Susquehanna River.
Sussex County, De., Georgetown and Lewis-
town shire towns. Delaware Bay is on the