state of Mississippi S. It includes old Fort Pick-
ering, now Memphis.
Shelby County, Ts., c. h. at Shelbyville. On
the E. border, between the eastern heads of the
Neches and the Sabine.
Shelbyville, Aa., c. h. Shelby co.
Shelbyville, Is., c. h. Shelby co. On the W.
bank of the Kaskaskia River. 60 miles S. E.
from Springfield. There is a copious sulphur
spring in this place.
Shelbyville, la., c. h. Shelby co. On Blue Riv-
er. branch of White River. 25 miles S. E. from
Shelbyville, Ky., c. h. Shelby co. On Brashears
Creek, 12 miles above its junction with Salt
River, and 23 miles W. by N. from Frankfort.
Shelbyville, Mo., c. h. Shelby co.
Shelfyyville, Te., c. h. Bedford co. A town lo-
cated on the right bank of Duck River. It con-
tains a bank, printing office, and the county build-
ings. 30 miles S. from Murfreesboro'.
Shelbyville, Ts., c. h. Shelby co.
Sheldon, N. Y., Wyoming co. Watered by
Tonawanda and Seneca Creeks. Surface hilly;
soil moist clay loam. 13 miles W. from War-
saw, and 262 from Albany.
Sheldon, Vt., Franklin co. This is a good
township of land. The River Missisco passes
through it, and Black Creek, a branch of that
river, gives Sheldon an ample water power. The
village is a thriving place. The settlement was
commenced about the year 1790, by Colonel
Elisha Sheldon and Samuel B. Sheldon, emi-
grants from Salisbury, Ct. 46 miles N. W. from
Montpelier, and 32 N. by E. from Burlington.
Shelter Island, N. Y., Suffolk co. This town,
lying between Gardiner's and Great Peconic
Bays, is 6 miles long and 4 wide. Surface
mostly uneven ; soil light and sandy, but fertile
in some parts. 20 miles E. from Riverhead, and
245 S. E. from Albany.
Shenandoah County, Va., c. h. at Woodstock.
Blue Ridge, or Culpepper and Madison counties
are on the S. E., Rockingham S. W., Hardy
and Hampshire N. W., and Frederick N. E.
The two main branches of Shenandoah River
traverse this county, and it is drained by many
minor tributaries. All parts of the county are
hilly, except the space between the two great
branches of the Shenandoah, which is very
mountainous. The soil is productive in grain,
pasturage, and fruits.
Shepherdsville, Ky., c.h. Bullitt co. On the N.
side of Salt River. 1 mile from Paroquette Springs
and 72 miles W. S. W. from Frankfort. At the
springs are fine accommodations for visitors.
Sherborn, Ms., Middlesex co. Sherborn is
watered by Charles River on its eastern boundary,
and by several brooks and pleasant ponds. Its
Indian name was Boggeston. The soil is good and
productive. It contains many skilful farmers,
and some delightful farms. The village is on ele-
vated land; it is pleasant, and commands good
prospects. 18 miles S. W. from Boston, and 16
S. from Concord.
Sherburne, N. Y., Chenango co. Watered by
the Chenango River, parallel to which runs the
Chenango Canal. Surface hilly ; soil sandy and
argillaceous loam. 12 miles N. from Norwich,
and 92 W. from Albany.
Sherburne, S. C., Beaufort district. A village
214 miles from Columbia by post road.
Sherburne, Vt., Rutland co. Killington Peak,
3924 feet in height, several ponds, and Thun-
dering Brook, with a handsome fall, lie in this
town. Queechy River rises here, and along its
banks is some good land, but the lands are gen-
erally too elevated even for pasturage. The set-
tlement was commenced here, in 1785, by Isaiah
Washburn. The town was organized in 1794.
From Rutland 10 miles N. E.
Sheridan, N. Y., Chautauque co. Watered by
Scott's, Walnut, and some other creeks flowing
into Lake Erie, which bounds it on the N. W.
Surface hilly ; soil clay loam and sand. 20 miles
N. E. from Maysville, and 307 W. from Albany.
Sherman, Ct., Fairfield co. Sherman was for-
merly the N. part of New Fairfield, and incorpora-
ted in 1802. 13 miles N. from Danbury. There
is a variety of soils in the town, but they are gen-
erally strong, warm, and productive of grass and
grain. A branch of the Housatonic waters the
town. Iron ore is found here.
Sherman, N. Y., Chautauque co. French Creek
waters this town, the surface of which is uneven,
and the soil clay and gravelly loam. 10 miles S.
W. from Maysville, and 340 S. of W. from Al-
Shiawassee County, Mn., c. h. at Corunna. This
county was incorporated in 1837, and is bounded
N. by Saginaw, E. by Genesee, S. by Livingston
and Ingham, and W. by Clinton co. Drained by
Shiawassee, Looking Glass, and Meshtagayock
Rivers, which afi'ord hydraulic power. Surface
level or undulating, and containing anthracite
coal; soil fertile.
Shieldsboro', Mi., c. h. Hancock co. On the W.
side of St. Louis Bay, which connects with Lake
Borgne. S. by E. from Jackson 212 miles.
Shippen, Pa., McKean co. Drained by Drift-
wood Creek, on the margin of which are salt
springs, and by another branch of Sunenmahoning
Creek. The surface is rough and mountainous,
but in the valleys is some good land. 171 miles N.
W. from Harrisburg.
Shippinsburg, Pa., Cumberland co. A town and
borough, situated in the midst of a fertile coun-
try. It is 11 miles N. E. from Chambersburg,
and 136 W. from Philadelphia.
Shippingport, Ky., Jefferson co., is a large vil-
lage, 2 miles below Louisville, at the bottom of
the Rapids of the Ohio. It is in reality the lower
part of Louisville, and at low water is the head
of steamboat navigation in the Ohio.
Shirley, Me., Piscataquis co. This town was
incorporated in 1834. It was formerly No. 3 in
the 4th range of the Bingham Purchase. It is
watered by the higher branches of Piscataquis
River, and lies about 76 miles N. by E. from Au-
Shirley, Ms., Middlesex co. Before its incor-
poration, in 1753, the territory of this town was
the S. W. part of Groton. The lands are rather
level and low; the soil of some part of them
is cold and unproductive, but generally they
make good farms ; some parts of the town, par-
ticularly along the streams, are under a high state
of cultivation, and very productive. Shirley is
separated from Groton by Nashua River, and
from Pepperell by the Squanicook, a branch of
the Nashua. These streams afford a fine water
power. In the S. part of the town is a pleasant
village, through which the Fitchburg Railroad
passes. This village lies 18i miles N. W. from
Concord, and 38j N. W. from Boston. About a
mile S. of this village is a family of more than a