Shawneetown, Is., Gallatin co. On the N. W.
bank of Ohio River. 10 miles below the entrance
of the Wabash, and 195 S. S. E. from Springfield.
As a place of trade this is among the largest in
Sheboygan County, Wn., c. h. at Sheboygan.
Bounded N. bv Caiumet and Manitoowoc coun-
ties, E. by Lake Michigan, S. by Washington co.,
and W. by Fond du Lac co. Drained by She-
boygan River and branches, and by branches of
the Milwaukee. Soil of excellent quality.
Sheboygan, Wn., c. h. Sheboygan co. On the
S. bank of Sheboygan River, at its entrance into
Sheffield, Ms., Berkshire co. The Indian name
of this town was Houssatonnock. It was first
settled in 1725, and at its incorporation in 1733,
it was named after Sheffield in England. Mr.
Obadiah Noble, from Westfield, was the first
white man who resided in the town. He spent
the first winter here with no other human being
than the Indians. This town includes an exten-
sive vale, and, except on the E., is generally level.
In that part there is an extensive chain of consid-
erable hills. On the W. it is mountainous. Sa-
conic, or Mount Washington, is about 2500 feet
in height, and presents a magnificent spectacle.
A part of this mountain is in Sheffield. This
town affords an abundance of white marble, and
much of an excellent quality. The soil is pro-
ductive, and in the vale easily tilled. The Housa-
tonic, which passes through the length of the
town, is here a silent, sluggish stream, from 6 to
8 rods in breadth. Sheffield is one of those de-
lightful towns, so richly decorated with lovely
valley and majestic mountain scenery. The vil-
lage is on the W. side of the river. 180 miles
from Boston by the Housatonic and Western
Railroads, and 56 from Albany.
Sheffield, Yt., Caledonia co. This town lies on
the height of land between Connecticut River
and Memphremagog Lake. Branches of Pas-
sumpsic and Barton Rivers both rise here. It is
watered by several ponds. The lands are broken,
and not productive. The settlement was com-
menced about the year 1792. From Danville,
16 miles N., and 46 miles N. E. from Montpelier.
Shelburne. Ms., Franklin co. This town, until
1768, was a part of Deerfield, and called Deer-
field North-West.'' At its incorporation, it was
named for Lord Shelburne. Deerfield River
passes through the town, and in its course falls
nearly 50 feet, in the distance of 40 rods, thereby
producing a great hydraulic power. On the
banks of this river, Shelburne Falls village has
sprung up. It is neat, handsome, and surround-
ed by charming scenery. Among other buildings
it contains a well-endowed academy. From
Shelburne Falls village at the W. part of the
town, to Greenfield, is 7 miles.
Shelburne, N. H., Coos co. Androscoggin River
passes through the centre of this town, into which
fall the waters of Rattle and some smaller streams.
The soil on each bank of the river is very good,
producing in abundance grain and grass; but as we
rise from the river, the tracts are mountainous, and
unfit for cultivation. Mount Moriah, an elevated
peak of the White Mountains, lies in the S. part
of Shelburne. Moses' Rock, so called from the
first man known to have ascended it. (Moses
Ingalls,) is on the S. side of the river, near the
centre of the town. It is about 60 feet high
and 90 feet long, very smooth, and rising in an
angle of nearly 50°. Shelburne presents much
wild and beautiful scenery. In this town is an
extensive and valuable mine of lead; also excel-
lent zinc ore. First settlers, David and Benj.
Ingalls, in 1775. From Concord 123 miles N.
E., and about 30 S. E. from Lancaster.
Shelburne, Yt., Chittenden co. Shelburne is
finely watered by La Platt River, a pond cover-
ing 600 acres, and by the waters of Lake Cham-
plain. Shelburne Bay sets into the town, and
affords a good harbor, and a depot for the interior
trade on the beautiful Champlain. The soil is
strong, fertile, and generally well improved. A
part of this town was annexed to St. George in
1848. A small settlement was made in this
town previous to the revolutionary war. The
earliest settlers were two Germans by the name
of Logan and Pottier, who commenced upon two
points of land extending into Lake Champlain,
which still bear the names Pottier's Point,'' and
Logan's Point.'' 33 miles W. by N. from Mont-
pelier, and 7 S. from Burlington.
Shelby County, Aa., c. h. at Shelbyville. This
county is bounded by Coosa River E., Bibb co.
S., Tuscaloosa S. W., Jefferson N. W., and St.
Clair N. It is drained by the sources of Cahaba
Shelby County, Is., c.h. at Shelbyville. Bound-
ed N. and N. E. by Macon and Moultrie counties,
E. by Coles and Cumberland, S. by Effingham
and Fayette, and W. by Montgomery and Chris-
tian counties. Drained by Kaskaskia River and
branches, and by the head branches of the S.
fork of Sangamon River. Surface level; soil
Shelby County, la., c. h. at Shelbyville. Madi-
son bounds it on the N., Rush E., Decatur S. E.,
Johnson W., Marion N. W., and Bartholomew
S. Branches of the E. fork of White River
drain this county.
Shelby County, Ky., c. h. at Shelbyville. Hen-
ry co. is on the N., Franklin E. and S. E., Jeffer-
son W., and Spencer S. The soil is highly pro-
ductive, and is drained by the N. E. fork of Salt
Shelby County, Mo., c. h. at Shelbyville. Bound-
ed N. by Knox and Lewis counties, E. by Marion,
S. by Monroe, and W. by Macon co. Drained
by Salt River, on the banks of which coal is
found, and by North Two Rivers, which affords
hydraulic power. The surface is level, and the
Shelby, N. Y., Orleans co. Watered by Oak
Orchard Creek. Mostly a level town, with a
soil of calcareous loam. 10 miles S. W. from
Albion, and 260 W. from Albany.
Shelby, N. C., c. h. Cleveland co. On the E.
side of First Broad River. There is a fine sul-
phur spring in the vicinity.
Shelby County, 0., c. h. at Sidney. Allen and
Mercer counties are on the N., Logan and Cham-
paign on the E., Miami on the S., and Dark
and Mercer counties on the W. The soil is
good, and is watered by Turtle, Loramie's, and
Musketoe Creeks, and Miami River. The Mi-
ami Canal passes through the S. W. part of the
county. In 1819 the county was constituted.
In 1804 or 1805 it was settled by James Thatch-
er, on Loramie's Creek.
Shelby County, Te., c. h. at Raleigh. This coun-
ty has a hilly surface, and is drained by Wolf
River and its branches. Madison co., Te., bounds
it on the N. and E., Mississippi River W., and