The natural alliance which subsists between
Boston and Roxbury, their close connection by
wide and beautiful avenues, the crowded state
of one city, and the romantic beauties of the
other, can leave no doubt on the mind of an
observer of the rapid increase of Boston, that
ltoxbury, with its crystal springs and admirable
sites for building, will soon become the location
of no inconsiderable portion of the wealth and
fashion of the metropolis.
There are in Roxbury, yet to be observed,
some memorials of the revolutionary scenes,
especially on one of the crowning eminences of
the highlands, surrounded by some of the most
beautiful cottages and ornamental gardens in
that section of the city, where are to be seen, in a
very perfect state of preservation, the breastwork
and intrenchments of a large military fortress
constructed at that period.
A little distance back from the city, on the
Dedham Turnpike, is situated the beautiful
rural cemetery called the Forest Hills Cemetery.
The enclosure includes an area of about 70 acres,
a large portion of which is covered with trees,
shrubs, herbaceous plants, and flowers, embracing
almost every variety indigenous to New Eng-
land. The grounds are diversified in a very
picturesque manner, by hills, valleys, glades, pre-
cipitous cliffs, masses of moss-grown rocks, dells,
and lakes. When the gradings are entirely com-
pleted, there will be nearly 5 miles of avenues
for carriages and 3 of footpaths. An Egyptian
gateway ornaments the entrance, which is copied
from the ancient portico at Garsery, above the
first cataract of the Nile. A range of four emi-
nences in the south-western portion of this beau-
tiful ground has been designated as the Eliot
Hills,'' to commemorate the name and pious
labors of the Rev. John Eliot, the venerated
K apostle of the Indians,'' who was pastor of the
first church in Roxbury, from 1632, for a period
of nearly 60 years. Mr. Eliot was remarkable
for his indefatigable labors and charities. He
imbibed the true spirit of the gospel, and his
heart w'as touched with the wretched condition
of the Indians. He learned their language,
preached to them in it, and translated the entire
Scriptures into it. This would seem the business
of a life, when we consider, for example, that the
sense of the expression Kneeling down to him,''
is conveyed in the Indian language by the com-
pound word Wutappessttukqussunnoowehtunkquoh.
A large eminence in the Forest Hills Ceme-
tery bears the name of the most honored of the
native-born sons of Roxbury — General War-
ren, who fell on Bunker Hill, bravely contend-
ing for the liberties of his country, on the 17th
of June, 1776. He was the first officer of rank
who fell in this eventful conflict.
The business and wealth of Roxbury are inti-
mately connected with the port of Boston; in-
deed, its entire interests, in this point of view, are
hardly capable of being considered as separate
from those of the metropolis. It has, however,
considerable trade of its own, and its manufactures
are various and extensive. These consist of car-
peting ; of worsted and silk fringe and tassels;
of leather; of iron castings ; steam engines and
boilers ; fire engines ; cordage ; paints ; sheet
lead ; white lead and chemical preparations;
shoes; hats; cabinet ware; and a great variety
of other articles.
When viewed from the dome of the State
House in Boston, this beautiful city, together
with the cities of Charlestown and Cambridge, —
involved and blended as they are with Boston,
from which they are in no part more than 5 miles
distant, and from which no other lines of separa-
tion can be distinguished than such as are made
by the Charles River and the several bridges
and avenues running from one city to another,—
seem all to be one great city; as in fact, from
their relations of intercourse and commerce, as
well as their proximity, they virtually are, as
truly as the city and liberties of Philadelphia.
Roxbury, N. H., Cheshire co. The N. branch
of Ashuelot River forms the boundary between
this town and Keene. Roaring Brook waters
the S. part, and empties into the Ashuelot at the
S. W. corner. On the E. side is Roaring Brook
Pond, at the outlet of which are mills. Roxbury
presents a rough and uneven surface, rising into
considerable swells, affording excellent grazing
land. This town was formed of a part of Nelson,
Marlboro', and Keene, and is the native place of
Joseph Ames, Esq., a celebrated artist and por-
trait painter to the pope of Rome. 5 miles E.
from Keene, and 50 S. W. from Concord.
Roxbury, N. J., Morris co. Bounded E. by
Black River, and contains Budd's Pond, a sheet
of water 2 miles long and 1 broad, the waters of
which flow into the S. branch of Raritan River.
The surface is mostly covered by Schooley's
Mountain, and the soil is a mixture of clay and cal-
careous loam. 14 miles N. W. from Morristown.
Roxbury, N. Y., Delaware co. Watered by the
Papacton branch of the Delaware River. Surface
hilly and mountainous; soil good sandy loam,
very fertile in the valleys. 20 miles E. from
Delhi, and 63 S. W. from Albany.
Roxbury, Pa., Philadelphia co. On the Schuyl-
kill River. Surface rough and hilly, the N. W,
portions containing soapstone; soil clay and loam.
Roxbury, Yt., Washington co. Roxbury is
situated on the height of land between Winooski
and White Rivers, and has consequently no
large streams. The surface is uneven, but the
soil is well adapted to the production of grass,
and in general yields good crops of grain. The
timber is mostly hard wood. Iron ore is found
in the south-eastern part. There is a small vil-
lage in the N. E. corner, on a principal branch of
Dog River. The settlement was commenced in
1789, by Christopher Huntington. 15 miles S.
W. from Montpelier.
Royalston, Ms., Worcester co. This town was
first settled in 1754, and named for Colonel Isaac
Royal, one of its proprietors. The land in this
town consists generally of hills and valleys, and
the soil is excellent, being suitable for tillage or
grazing. It is watered by Miller's River and its
tributary streams, upon which is much good
meadow. Several small streams, one of which
has upon it a perpendicular fall of 20 feet, and
descends 100 feet in 40 rods, unite and form
Tully River, which pours into Miller's River
a great quantity of water. These various streams
afford a number of good mill sites. There is a
handsome village near the centre of the town, and
2 ponds well stocked with fish. Although these
ponds are within half a mile of each other, yet
they vary in height 150 feet. 35 miles N. W.
from Worcester, and 65 W. N. W. from Boston.
The Boston and Vermont Railroad passes
through Athol, 7 miles S. from the centre of