River. 32 miles S. S. W. from Savannah, and
194 S. E. from Milledgeville.
Richfield, N. Y., Otsego co. Watered by a few
small streams flowing into Canaderaga Lake,
which bounds it on the E. Surface high and un-
even ; soil good sandy and calcareous loam. 13
miles N. W. from Cooperstown, and 69 W. from
Albany. In this town, near the head of Canade-
raga Lake, there is a celebrated sulphur spring,
much resorted to.
Rich ford, N. Y., Tioga co. Watered by East
and West Owego Creeks. A somewhat hilly
town, with fertile valleys. 17 miles N. from
Owego, and 151 S. of W. from Albany.
Richford, Vt., Eranklin co. This is a mountain-
ous township, on the line of Canada, and watered
by Missisco River and its branches. There is
some good land along the river, and the upland,
though rough, affords good grazing. The settle-
ment was commenced in 1797, and the town or-
ganized in 1799. 50 miles N. by W. from Mont-
pelier, and 24 N. E. from St. Albans.
Richland County, Is., c. h. at Olney. S. E. part.
Richland, N. Y., Oswego co. Shire town alter-
nately with Oswego. It is watered by Salmon
River and some smaller streams flowing into Lake
Ontario, which bounds it on the W. Surface
pleasantly diversified; soil danjp, sandy loam,
well adapted to grass. 153 miles N. W. from
Richland County, 0., c. h. at Mansfield. N. by
Huron, E. by Wayne, S. by Knox, and W. by
Marion and Crawford counties. The surface is
rolling, and the land excellent for wheat. The
branches of Olentangy and Mohiccan Rivers are
the principal waters.
Richland, Pa., Bucks co. Drained by Tihickon
Creek and branches. . Surface level; soil clay.
Richland District, S. C., c. h. at Columbia.
Bounded N. by Fairfield district, E. by Kershaw
and Sumpter, S. by Orangeburg, and W. by Lex-
ington district. The Wateree River runs on its
E., and the Congaree on its W. and S. border.
The soil is very fertile.
Richland County, Wn. In the S. W. part of
the state. Washed on the S. by the Wisconsin.
Richmond County, Ga., c. h. at Augusta. Bound-
ed N. E. and E. by the Savannah River, separat-
ing it from South Carolina, S. by Burke co., S.
W. by Brier Creek, separating it from Jefferson
co., and N. W. by Columbia co. Its N. part is
crossed by the Augusta and Decatur Railroad.
Richmond, Ky., c. h. Madison co.
Richmond, La., c. h. Madison parish. On the
W. side of Roundaway Bayou, at its confluence
with Brushy Bayou. 10 miles W. from Missis-
sippi River, and 200 N. W. from New Orleans.
Richmond, Me., Lincoln co. On the W. bank
of the Kennebec. 15 miles S. from Augusta.
Richmond, Ms., Berkshire co. The Indian
name of this place was Yolcun, and after its set-
tlement, in 1760, it was called Yoamtown; but at
its incorporation, in 1765, it took the name of the
Duke of Richmond. This town comprises an
extensive, fertile, and beautiful valley, enclosed
by elevated hills on the E. and W. Frotg. these
hills enchanting landscapes are presented". This
town produces, m great abundance, all kinds of
Agricultural products common to the most fertile
and best cultivated lands in the state, a great va-
riety of woods, iron ore, good brick clay, lime-
stone, and handsome marble. There is some
water power in the town. In the valley in this
town is a wide street, extending some miles, on
each side of which are neat farm houses and
mechanics' shops, making a fine appearance.
Through this valley the Western Railroad passes.
8 miles S. W. from Pittsfield, and 159 W. from
Richmond, Mo., c. h. Ray co.
Richmond, N. H., Cheshire co., is washed by
branches of Ashuelot and Miller's Rivers, which
fall into the Connecticut. The ponds are 3 in
number, one of which is one of the sources of
Miller's River. The soil is favorable for grain.
The land is generally level. First settlers, peo-
ple from Massachusetts and Rhode Island, about
1758. 12 miles S. from Keene, and 70 S. W.
from Concord. The Cheshire Railroad passes
through the town.
Richmond County, N. Y., c. h. at Westfield,
was incorporated in 1683, and comprises the
whole of Staten Island. It is bounded N. by
Newark Bay and Kill Van Kull, E. by New
York Bay and the Narrows, S. by Raritan Bay
and New York Lower Bay, and W. by Staten
Island Sound, which separates it from New Jer-
sey. Surface hilly and broken, Richmond Hill,
the highest peak, being elevated 307 feet above
the Atlantic. Much of the land is of good quali-
ty, and on the shores are valuable fisheries. He-
metic iron ore, granite, and several other minerals
are found here.
Richmond, N. Y., c. h. Richmond co. Near the
middle of Staten Island. 159 miles S. by W.
Richmond, N. Y., Ontario co. Watered by
Honeoye Lake and its outlet. Surface hilly ; soil
clay loam, based upon lime and slate. 14 miles
W. from Canandaigua, and 209 from Albany.
Richmond County, N. C., c. h. at Rockingham.
Bounded N. by Montgomery co., E. by Moore,
Cumberland, and Robeson counties, S. by South
Carolina, and W. by the Great Pedee River, sep-
arating it from Anson co. Lumber River runs
on its E. border, and branches of the Little Pedee
drain the interior.
Richmond, Pa., Berks co. Watered by Moslem
Creek, a mill stream. Surface level; soil rich
calcareous loam and gravel.
Richmond, R. I., Washington co. Richmond is
bounded on the W. by Wood River, and on the
E. by the River Charles. Other streams water
the town, which, with the Wood and Charles,
give it an excellent water power. Manufacturing
establishments of various kinds flourish on its
streams, particularly those of cotton. The soil is
a gravelly loam, with an uneven surface. The
agricultural productions of the town are very
This is an excellent township for grazing; a
large amount of wool and of the productions of
the dairy is annually transported. The Provi-
dence and Stonington Railroad passes through
the S. E. corner of the town. 30 miles S. S-
W. from Providence.
Richmond, Vt., Chittenden co. The town is
finely watered by Winooski and Huntingdon
Rivers, on the banks of which are good mill sites
and large tracts of beautiful meadow. The vil-
lage is neat, and is a healthy place, noted for the
longevity of its inhabitants. The first perma-
nent settlement was made here in the spring of
1784. 25 miles N. W. from Montpelier, and 13
S. E. from Burlington.
Richmond, Va. City, port of entry, capital of