Court House. Bounded N. by Chesapeake Bay,
E. by the Atlantic Ocean, S. by North Carolina,
and W. by Norfolk co. It is drained by North
River and the E. branch of Elizabeth River, and
has Back Bay, a branch of Currituck Sound, in
its S. part.
Princess Ann, Va., c. h. Princess Ann co. 132
miles S. E. from Richmond.
Prince William County, Va., c. h. at Brentsville.
Bounded N. E. and E. by Occoquan River, sepa-
rating it from Loudon and Fairfax counties. S. E.
by the Potomac River, separating it from Mary-
land, S. by Stafford co., and W. and N. W. by
Fauquier co. Surface hilly ; soil tolerably fertile.
Princeton, As., c. h. Dallas co.
Princeton, la., c. h. Gibson co. 4 miles S. from
Patoka Creek, and 142 miles S. W. from Indian-
Princeton, Ms., Worcester co. This town was
named for the Rev. Thomas Prince, a large pro-
prietor, the chronologer of New England, and
pastor of the Old South Church in Boston. It
was formerly called the East Wing of Rutland.
The surface is elevated, but agreeably diversified
with undulating valleys. There are some noted
high grounds in the town, the most prominent of
which is Wachusett Mountain, the Indian name
of the township. There are no large streams
flowing in or through this town. The town is
nevertheless well watered with brooks and small
streams, which rise entirely within its limits.
Wachusett Mountain is situated in the north-
westerly part of the town. This mountain rears
its conical head 2018 feet above Massachusetts
Bay, and the prospect from the top of it is de-
lightful. 18 miles N. by W. from Worcester, 9
S. W. from the Fitchburg Railroad at Leom-
inster, and, by the latter, 52 W. by N. from
Princeton, Mi., c. h. Washington co. On the
E. side of Mississippi River. 119 miles N. AV.
Princeton, N. Y., Schenectady co. Norman's
Kill waters this town, the surface of which is
hilly, and the soil composed of clay, sand, and
loam. 8 miles W. from Schenectady, and 23 N.
W. from Albany.
Princeton, N. J., Mercer co. 10 miles N. E. from
Trenton. The township of Princeton, formed
from those of Montgomery and West Windsor,
is about 5 miles long and broad.
The village of Princeton, incorporated as a
borough in 1812, is pleasantly situated on an ele-
vated ridge of land, commanding an extensive
prospect towards the E. It is chiefly built on one
extended street. The Delaware and Raritan
Canal, and the railroad between New York and
Philadelphia, pass about 1 mile S. E. of the cen-
tral part of the village. It is 50 miles from New
York, and 40 from Philadelphia. This was the
scene of one of the battles of the revolution,
January 3,1777, which, for the time it lasted, and
the numbers engaged, was one of the most bloody
and fatal to our officers of any during the war.
The heroic devotion of Washington on the field
of Princeton is matter of history.
The College of New Jersey, and the Princeton
Theological Seminary are situated in this place,
and give to it at present its principal importance.
Prospect, Ct., New Haven co. This stony and
mountainous town was taken from Cheshire and
Waterbury in 1827. It derived its name from
its elevated situation. There is a pretty village
in the town. The inhabitants are chiefly farmers.
17 miles N. by W. from New Haven.
Prospect, Me., Waldo co. This is a beautiful
town, of good soil, on the W. side of Penobscot
River. It is bounded on the S. by Belfast Bay,
on the W. by Swanville, and on the N. by Frank-
fort. Prospect is very flourishing in its trade,
ship building, and agricultural pursuits. 52 E.
by N. from Augusta, and 18 from Bangor.
Providence, N. Y., Saratoga co. Sacondaga
River and a few small streams water this town,
which is partly covered by the Kayaderoseras
Mountain. The soil is well adapted to the growth
of grass. 15 miles N. W. from Ballston Spa, and
43 from Albany.
Providence, Pa., Luzerne co. Watered by Lack-
awannoek Creek and Roaring Brook, both afford-
ing fine hydraulic power. Situated in a valley
abounding with anthracite coal. 146 miles N. E.
Providence County, R. I., c. h. at Providence.
Uneven, but fertile and well cultivated. The
Blackstone or Pawtucket, the Pautuxet, and
many smaller streams, furnish abundant water
power, on which are numerous manufactures.
Its E. border is traversed by the Worcester and
Providence and Stonington Railroads.
Providence, R. I., city, shire town of Providence
co., and the largest in the state of Rhode Island.
It is situated at the head of navigation bn Provi-
idence River, 35 miles from the sea, 30 N. N. W.
from Newport, 40 S. W. from Boston, 169 N. E.
from New York. Its area is about 9 square miles.
The compact part is divided into two nearly
equal parts by Providence River. The land on
the E. side of the river is hilly, attaining, at its
greatest height, 204 feet above tide water. The
soil is rich and heavy. On the W. side of the
river the land is more level, and the soil light
and sandy, its greatest height above tide water
being only 78 feet. It is bounded N. by the town
of North Providence, on the E. it adjoins Massa-
chusetts, from which it is separated by the See-
konk River, S. by the town of Cranston and by
Narraganset Bay, and W. by the townships of
Johnston and North Providence. It originally
comprised all the towns in Providence county,
The harbor of Providence is safe and commo-
dious, but it is not safely approached by large
vessels without a pilot. Commerce was the favor-
ite pursuit of the citizens of Providence at an
early period of its history. The East India busi-
ness, before 1812, was pursued with great success
for many years. Since that period, this and all
foreign commerce has gradually declined. There
is still a large amount of coasting business done
in Providence. But of late years the attention
of the money-making part of the community has
been withdrawn from commerce and fixed on
manufactures. Much of the capital and enter-
prise of Providence men is invested in the man-
ufacturing establishments in and near its borders.
The water power is occupied to its full extent,
besides which there are in operation about 50
steam engines, some of them as large as 300
horse power. They are employed in grinding
grain, sawing and polishing marble, printing,
bleaching, calendering, and dyeing cloths, sawing
and planing lumber, driving bellows in furnaces
and founderies, manufacturing machinery, screws,
nails, rubber shoes, small wares, furniture, power