cord, 51 miles N., and 31 S. E. from Haverhill
Plymouth, N. Y., Chenango co. Canasawacta
Creek waters this town. Surface undulating:
soil of good quality. 7 miles N. W. from Nor-
wich, and 118 W. from Albany.
Plymouth, N. C., c. h. Washington co. On the
S. side of Roanoke River, 8 miles from its mouth,
and 112 miles E. from Raleigh.
Plymouth, Pa., Luzerne co. Drained by Har-
vey's and Toby's Creeks. Surface mostly moun-
tainous, abounding with coal. A portion of the
town lies in the valley of Wyoming, and has a
rich soil. Distant 124 miles N. E. from Harris-
Plymouth, Pa., Montgomery co. This town is
mostly inhabited by Friends. The surface is un-
dulating, abounding with limestone and marble;
soil calcareous loam.
Plymouth, Vt., Windsor co. The principal
stream in this township is Black River. On it are
several good mill sites, and a number of natural
ponds, which abound in fish. Two considerable
branches of Quechee River also rise in this town.
A large share of the rocks are primitive lime-
stone. Some of the limestone makes excellent
marble. Steatite or soapstone is also found here.
The surface of Plymouth is considerably broken.
Two mountains extend through it, parallel to the
river, and at no great distance from it. Plymouth
Cave was discovered about the 1st of July, 1818.
(See Caves.) The settlement of this place was
commenced in 1777, by John Mudge, who was
soon followed by Aaron Hewett and others. 52
miles S. from Montpelier, and 15 W. by N. from
Plympton, Ms., Plymouth co. Before its incor-
poration, in 1707, Plympton comprised the N. W.
part of Plymouth. Its Indian name was Wena-
tuckset. The Wenatuckset, a branch of Taunton
River, passes through the western width of this
town. There are two pleasant villages in the town.
A noble white oak was cut here a few vears ago. It
contained 7 tons and 7 feet of ship timber, and 2
cords of firewood. The Old Colony Railroad
passes through the town. 29J miles S. E. by S.
from Boston, and W. by N. from Plymouth.
Pocahontas County, Va., c. h. Huntersville.
Bounded N. by Randolph co.,E. by Pendleton and
Bath, S. by Greenbrier, and W. by Greenbrier,
Nicholas, and Randolph counties. Drained by
Greenbrier River. Surface rough and elevated,
being crossed by ridges of the Alleghany Moun-
tains ; soil sterile.
Poinsett County, As., c. h. at Bolivar. Bounded
N. by Greene co., E. by the St. Francis River, sepa-
rating it from Mississippi and Crittenden coun-
ties, S. by St. Francis co., and W. by Jackson' co.
Drained by a tributary of St. Francis River, by
Laguille River, and by St. Francis Bayou.
Point Coupee Parish, La., c. h. at Point Coupee.
Bounded N. by Avoyelles and Concordia parish-
es, N. E. and E. by the Mississippi River, sepa-
rating it from West Feliciana parish, S. by Baton
Rouge and Iberville 'parishes, and W. by the
Atchafalaya, separating it from St. Landry parish.
Drained by Perdouche Bayou, and in its S. E.
part is Fause Riviere, a former bed of the Missis-
sippi. Surface low and level; soil of excellent
quality, where it is not liable to inundation.
Point Coupee, La., c. h. Point Coupee parish.
On the S. side of Mississippi River, at the com-
mencement of the levee or embankment, opposite
St. Francisville, and 140 miles W. N. W. from
Point Pleasant, Va., c. h. Mason co. On the
E. side of the Ohio River, at the junction of the
Great Kanawha, and 370 miles W. N. W. from
Poland, Me., Cumberland co. On Little An-
droscoggin River, 6 miles above Lewiston Falls.
It is 26 miles N. from Portland. This is an ex-
cellent farming town, with good mill privileges,
several ponds, and a pleasant village.
A family consisting of about 70 of that curi-
ous people denominated Shakers '' reside in Po-
land. They possess about 600 acres of choice
land. They are attached to the society at New
Poland, N. Y., Chautauque co. Watered by
Chautauque outlet and Connewango Creek. Sur-
face hilly; soil sandy and gravelly loam. 22 miles
S. E. from Mayville, and 317 S. W. from Albany.
Polk County, As., c. h. at Liberty. On the
Polk County, Io., c. h. at Fort Des Moines. S.
central. The Des Moines flows through it from
N. W. to S. E.
Polk, Io., c. h. Lucas co.
Polk County, Mo., c. h. at Bolivar. Bounded N.
by Hickory, E. by Dallas, S. by Green, and W.
by Dade and Cedar counties. Pomme de Terre,
Sac, and Niangua Rivers water this county, and
afford hydraulic power.
Polk County, Te., c. h. at Benton. Bounded N.
by McMinn co., E. by Monroe co. and North Car-
olina, S. by Georgia, and W. by Bradley co.
Drained by Hiwassee River and branches. Sur-
Polk County, Ts., c. h. at Livingston. In the S.
E. angle of the state. On the Trinity.
Pomeroy, 0., c. h. Meigs co. A flourishing place
on the Ohio River, a short distance above the
mouth of the Kanhawa.
Pomfret, Ct., Windham co. Its Indian name
was Mashamoquet. The surface of the town is
pleasantly diversified by hills and valleys ; from
some of the elevations delightful views are ob-
tained. The soil is deep, strong, and fertile, and,
although somewhat stony, is very productive, and
exceedingly well adapted for grazing. The Quin-
nebaug and several of its branches water the
town. 40 miles E. by. N. from Hartford.
Pomfret contains the Wolf Den,'' celebrated
for the bold exploit of the gallant Putnam, who
resided here some years. He died at Brooklyn,
in this state, in 1790.
Pomfret, N. Y., Chautauque co. Watered by
Cassadaga Creek and its tributaries, and by some
small streams flowing into Lake Erie. Surface
hilly, sloping towards Lake Erie, which bounds it
on the N. Soil very fertile. 12 miles N. E. from
Mayville, and 315 S. of W. from Albany.
Pomfret, Vt., Windsor co. The surface is con-
siderably uneven, but the soil is generally good.
White River touches upon the N. E. corner, and
Quechee upon the S. E. The other streams are
small. The settlement was commenced in the
spring of 1770, by Bartholomew Durkee, from
Pomfret, Ct.; he came into town with his family
on the 6th day of March, and in a few days they
were joined by Mr. John Cheedle and family. 45
miles S. from Montpelier, and 20 N. N. W. from
Windsor. The Central Railroad passes through
Pompey, N. Y., Onondago co. Watered by