The village itself is pleasant, and the scenery
around it delightful. The railroads between
Boston and Providence, and Providence and
Worcester, pass through this place.
Pawtucket, R. I., Providence co. It is the seat
of extensive cotton factories, propelled by the
water power of Pawtucket Ealls. On the Worces-
ter and Providence Railroad. See Pawtucket
Pawtuxet, R. I., Kent co. Port of entry, and
manufacturing village. Situated on both sides
of Pawtuxet River, partly in the town of War-
wick, and partly in Cranston. 5 miles S. from
Providence. Water power great. Harbor safe
Paxton, Ms., Worcester co. Previous to 1765,
the territory of this town comprised the N. part
of Leicester and the S. part of Rutland. It was
first settled about 1720. The surface is elevated,
so much so, that the numerous fine rivulets, by
which it is watered, flow some to the Nashua,
and some to the Connecticut. There are but two
hills in the town of any note: they are the Bums-
ket and Turkey, and although quite elevated,
are arable to their summits. The soil is strong,
moist, and well adapted to the purposes of agri-
culture. 7 miles N. W. by W. from Worcester,
and 51 W. from Boston. '
Peach Bottom, Pa., York co. Watered by the
Susquehanna River, by Muddy Creek and its
branches, Fishing Creek and Neel's Hole Run.
Surface level; soil slate and gravel. 26 miles
S. E. from York, and 62 S. E. from Harris-
Peacham, Yt., Caledonia co. Onion River
Pond, so called from its giving rise to one of the
principal branches of Onion or Winooski River,
lies in the western part of the town, and covers
about 300 acres. There are two considerable
streams passing off to the E. into Stevens's Branch,
which afford numerous mill privileges. A ridge
of land passes through the western part, but there
is no very considerable elevation in the town.
The western part is a hard soil, but the eastern
is rich and pleasantly diversified. There is, in
the eastern part of the town, a natural bog mead-
ow, containing an inexhaustible quantity of shell
marl. There is plenty of limestone found here.
There is a pleasant village in the town. In the
spring of 1775, Jonathan Elkins came to Peach-
am, with several hired men, and began improve-
ments upon the lot he had selected the year be-
fore. 6 miles S. W. from Danville, and 30 E.
Pekin, Is., Tazewell co. On the E. side of
Illinois River. 12 miles below Peoria, and 62 N.
Peekskill, N. Y., Westchester co. On the E.
side of Hudson River. 46 miles N. from New
York, and 106 S. from Albany. Manufactures
iron and leather. A stopping-place for steam-
boats. The Hudson River Railroad passes
Pelham, Ms., Hampshire co. Before its incor-
poration as a town, in 1743, Pelham bore the
name of New Lisburne, or Stoddard's Town.
The ancestors of the first settlers were from the
N. of Ireland. The surface is elevated and un-
even. It is well watered by Swift and Fort Riv-
ers and their branches ; the soil is good both for
tillage and pastures. 14 miles N. E. from North-
ampton, and about 76 W. from Boston.
Pelham, N. H., Hillsboro' co. There are 3 ponds
here, called Gumpas, Island, and North. Beaver
River passes through the town. On this river
and the tributary streams there is much valuable
meadow. The inhabitants depend principally on
agriculture for the means of support. This is a
very pretty town, and contains many excellent
farms. First settlers, John Butler, William Rich-
ardson, and others, in 1792. From Concord 37
miles S., and 19 S. E. from Amherst.
Pelham, N. Y., Westchester co. Hart's and
Hunter's Islands, lying in East River, are at-
tached to this town. Surface chiefly level; soil
sandy loam and clay. 10 miles S. from White
Plains, and 140 S. from Albany.
Pemberton, N. J., Burlington co. On the N.
branch of Rancocus Creek. S. from Trenton 22
Pembroke, Me., Washington co. It lies 178
miles N. E. from Augusta.
Pembroke, Ms., Plymouth co., was taken from
Duxbury in 1711. North River separates it from
Hanover; and some branches of that stream, ris-
ing from ponds in Pembroke, give it a good wa-
ter power. Pembroke is at the head of naviga-
tion on the North River, and possesses superior
advantages for ship building. The North River
is deep, narrow, and so crooked that it meanders
18 miles in its course from Pembroke to Scituate
Harbor, when the distance by land is less than 6
miles. Pembroke contains a pleasant village near
the centre of the town, and, in connection with
Hanson, some fine fish ponds. 12 miles N. N. W.
from Plymouth, and where the Old Colony Rail-
road passes, 24 miles from Boston.
Pembroke, N. H., Merrimae co. This town is
generally well watered. The Suncook, on the S.
E. boundary, furnishes many valuable water priv-
ileges. The main street extends nearly on a par-
allel with the Merrimae River, in a straight course,
about 3 miles, and is very pleasant. On this are
situated the academy and the principal village.
Pembroke has a variety of soils, mostly very pro-
ductive. It is the ancient Suncook of the Indians.
First settlers : this town was granted to the
brave Captain John Lovewell, and 60 of his as-
sociates, and was settled by some of them in 1729.
6 miles S. E. from Concord.
Pembroke, N. Y., Genesee co. Watered by
Tonawanda Creek and its branches. Surface
chiefly level; soil gravelly loam and clay. 12
miles W. from Batavia, and 257 N. of W. from
Pendleton, la., Madison co. At the falls of Fall
Creek. 31 miles N. E. from Indianapolis.
Pendleton County, Ky., c. h. at Falmouth.
Bounded N. by Campbell co. and the Ohio River,
separating it from Ohio, E. by Bracken co., S. by
Harrison, and' W. by Owen, Grant, and Kenton
counties. Drained by Licking River and its trib-
Pendleton, S. C., Anderson district, lies on a
branch of Savannah River. 136 miles W. N. W.
Pendleton County,Ya., c.h. at Franklin. Bound-
ed N. by Hardy co., E. by Rockingham and Augus-
ta, S. by Bath, and W. by Pocahontas and Ran-
dolph counties. Watered by the S. branch of the
Potomac. Surface rough and mountainous, be-
ing situated between two ridges of the Alleghany
Mountains; soil sterile.
Penfield, N. Y., Monroe co. Irondequoit Creek
and some other small streams water this town.
Surface undulating; soil sandy loam and clay.