House. Bounded N. by Rapidan River, separat-
ing it from Culpepper co., E. by Spottsylvania
co., S. by Pamunky River, separating it from
Louisa co., and W. by Albermale and Greene
counties. Drained by tributaries of North Anna
and Rivanna Rivers. Surface hilly; soil fertile.
Orange Court House, Va., c. h. Orange co. At
the base of South West Mountain. 84 miles
N. W. from Richmond.
Orangeburg District, S. C., c. h. at Orangeburg.
Bounded N. by Lexington and Richland dis-
tricts, E. bv Sumpter, S. by Charleston and Barn-
well, and W. by Barnwell and Edgefield districts.
The Congaree River runs on a part of its N. and
the Santee on its E. border. The South Edisto
washes its S. W. border, and the North Edisto
and branches drain the interior.
Orangeburg, S. C., c. h. Orangeburg District.
On the E. bank of North Edisto River. 43 miles
S. by E. from Columbia.
Orangetoum, N. Y., Rockland co. Bounded on
the E. by Tappan Bay, an enlargement of the
Hudson River, and is drained by the Hackensack.
Surface hilly; soil a mixture of red shale and
clay. 123 miles from Albany.
Orangeville, N. Y., Wyoming co. Tonawanda
Creek and some of its branches water this town.
Surface hilly ; soil clay loam. 7 miles W. from
Warsaw, and 254 from Albany.
Orangeville, Pa., Columbia co. On Fishing
Creek. 5 miles N. from Bloomsburg, and 81 N.
by E. from Harrisburg.
Oregon County, Mo., c. h. at Eleven Points.
Bounded N. by Texas and Shannon counties,
E. by Ripley co., S. by As., and W. by Ozark co.
Drained by Eleven Points and Spring Rivers.
Oregon, Mo., c. h. Holt co. On the N. E. bank
of Missouri River.
Oregon City, On., c. h. Claquemas co. On the
Willemette River, near its entrance into the Ore-
Orford, N. II., Grafton co., lies on Connecticut
River, over which is a bridge connecting it with
Fairlee. The soil is fertile, and there are beauti-
ful intervale farms on the Connecticut. Mount
Caba and Mount Sunday lie near the centre of
the town. There are 4 or 5 ponds of consider-
able size, one of which, called Baker's Upper
Pond, lies within 3 or 4 miles of Connecticut
River. Indian Pond lies 1 mile W. from it.
Limestone is found in great abundance at the
foot of a mountain, about 400 or 500 feet above
Connecticut River. Soapstone and granite
abound, and some lead ore has been discovered.
Orford contains a pleasant village, situated on a
beautiful plain on the main road, on the bank of
the Connecticut. There is also another pleasant
village, at a distance of 2 miles, called Orfordville.
The Passumpsic Railroad crosses the Connecticut
at this place. 91 miles by Railroad from Concord.
Orisfcany Falls, N. Y., Oneida co. On both
aides of Oriskany Creek, which has a fall of about
30 feet at this place, affording good water power.
100 miles W. N. W. from Albany.
Orland, Me., Hancock co. On the E. side of
Penobscot River. 64 miles E. from Augusta.
Orleans Parish, La., c. h. New Orleans. Bound-
ed N. by Lake Pontchartrain, E. by Lake Borgne,
S. by Plaquemine, and W. by Jefferson co. The
surface is too low and marshy for profitable culti-
vation, except on the margins of the streams. The
principal productions are cotton, sugar, rice, In-
dian corn, oranges, figs, peaches.
Orleans, Ms., Barnstable co. Orleans was the
S. part of Eastham until its incorporation in
1797. Its Indian name was Naumskeket. It
extends across the cape, and is indented with
coves and creeks on both sides, and contains a
number of fine fresh-water ponds. Nanset Harbor
is at the N. E. part of the town, and Pleasant Bay
opens at the S. E. corner of the town, and lies part-
ly in Chatham. In this bay are several islands.
There is a very pleasant village near the centre
of the town, from which, to Barnstable court
house, is 24 miles.
Orleans County, N. Y., c. h. at Barre. Formed
from Genesee co. in 1824. It is bounded N. by
Lake Ontario, E. by Monroe, S. by Genesee, and
W. by Niagara co. Watered by Oak Orchard,
Johnson's, and several other creeks flowing into
Lake Ontario. Surface mostly level, with the ex-
ception of the mountain ridge, which runs nearly
parallel with the lake shore ; soil well adapted to
grass and grain. There are a few salt and sul-
phur springs in this county, and bog iron ore is
found in small quantities. The Erie Canal passes
through it from E. to W.
Orleans, N. Y., Jefferson co. Watered by
Chaumont and Perch Rivers. Surface slightly
undulating; soil chiefly rich clay and loam upon
a foundation of limestone. 12 miles N. from
Watertown, and 172 N. W. from Albany.
Orleans County, Yt., c. h. at Irasburg. This
county is bounded N. by Lower Canada, E. by
Essex and Caledonia counties, S. by Caledonia
co., and W. by Franklin and Lamoille counties.
It lies between the eastern and western ranges of
the Green Mountains. The surface is generally
handsome, and the soil well adapted for wheat,
rye, and grass ; the climate is rather too cold for
corn, and some parts of the county are low and
marshy. Orleans co. is watered by Missisco, Black,
Barton, and other rivers. It contains more ponds
than any other county in the state. Much of
its trade goes to Canada by the way of Mem-
phremagog Lake, which lies in this county and
Orono, Penobscot co. This town lies on the
W. side of Penobscot River, and is watered by
Dead Stream and a large part of Pushaw Lake.
It is 74 miles N. E. from Augusta.
This town borders on the Great Falls in Penob-
scot River, aqd contains a great number of saw
mills, which manufacture a vast amount of lum-
ber annually for the Bangor market. A railroad,
12 miles in length, between Bangor and the vil-
lages of Stillwater and Oldtown, in Orono, was
opened for travel in 1836. The Penobscot Riv-
er, at Oldtown, above the falls, is 40 feet higher
than at Bangor. The village of Stillwater is 4
miles below Oldtown. Above the falls, and
about a mile above the village of Oldtown, near
the mouth of Dead Stream, on Oldtown Island,''
is the Indian settlement. This settlement is
very pleasantly located, and secure from ap-
proach, except by boats or canoes. It contains
a number of framed houses, and a neat chapel
with a bell. In 1837, John Neptune, the lieuten-
ant governor, and other officers of the Penobscot
tribe of Indians, finished taking, by families, a
very particular census of all who belong to the
tribe, for the purpose of a just and equal distri-
bution of the annuities and other moneys paid to
them. It was found that the families in all were
95 — the list exhibiting the head of each family
by name, and the number of individuals each