on the W. This town is well watered by several
small streams and ponds, and by the Assabet
River, which passes through it. On the banks
of the Assabet are large tracts of good meadow.
10 miles N. E. from Worcester, and 32 from
North Branford, Ct., New Haven co. This
town was incorporated in 1831, and was taken
from Branford. A range of mountains from the
S. W. to N. E. passes through the central part of
the town. The inhabitants are generally sub-
stantial farmers, and property is very equally
distributed. The face of the township is gen-
erally hilly, but the soil is strong and fertile.
About a mile S. E. of the Northford Church,
on Tetoket Mountain, there is the appearance of
having been, at some remote period, so rite violent
convulsions in nature; the rocks appear to have
been rent asunder, and are thrown about in great
disorder. 9 miles E. from New Haven.
Northbridge, Ms., Worcester co. Until 1772,
this town was the N. part of Uxbridge. The
surface is somewhat rocky and rough, but the
soil is generally rich, strong, and good. It is
finely watered by springs, streams, and rivers.
Of these Blackstone and Mumford Rivers are the
largest. On these rivers are tracts of good inter-
Yale land. The Worcester and Providence Rail-
road passes through the town. From Whitneys-
ville, near the centre of the town, to Boston, is
36 miles N. E., to Worcester, 13 miles N. W.
North Bridgewater, Ms., Plymouth co., is well
watered by Salisbury River, and another small
stream, which empties into the Taunton. Its
surface is uneven, but the soil is of a good qual-
ity, particularly for grazing. This town was
the first of the three Bridgewaters that have
sprung from Old Bridgewater, named after a
celebrated English duke. 20 miles S. from Bos-
ton, and 24 N. W. from Plymouth.
North Brookfield, Ms., Worcester co. This
town, formerly the second parish of Brookfield,
was incorporated in 1812. It is on elevated
ground, has good soil, well cultivated, well wa-
tered, and filled with many beautiful swells.
There is an artificial pond in the town, covering
700 or 800 acres, raised for water power. The
village of East Brookfield, partly in this town
and partly in Brookfield, lies, by the Western
Railroad, 64 miles from Boston, and 20 W. S.
W. from Worcester. From East Brookfield to
the village in the centre of the town is 4 miles
North Castle, N. Y., Westchester co. Watered
by Byram River. Surface hilly and stony; soil
clay and sandy loam. 6 miles N. from White
Plains, and 129 S. from Albany.
North East, N. Y., Dutchess co. This town
contains Indian Pond and several smaller ponds,
and is drained by Ten Mile Creek and some of
its tributaries. It is partly covered by the Tagh-
kanic Mountain. The soil is diversified, but
mostly arable and of good quality. A vein of
lead ore, which is crossed by one of copper, com-
mences in this town. 25 miles N. E. from
Poughkeepsie, and 75 S. E. from Albany.
North East, Pa., Erie co. In the N. E. corner
of the county. Bounded N. by Lake Erie, and
E. by the state of New York. Drained by Six-
teen and Twenty Mile Creeks. 10 miles N. E.
from Erie, and 281 N. W. by W. from Harris-
Northfield, Ms., Franklin co. This town, the
Indian Squeakeag, was first settled in 1673. This
is a fine township of land, on both sides of Con-
necticut River. The town contains large tracts
of fine alluvial land, on the banks of the river;
and the uplands, with an undulating surface, are
generally of a good quality. There are some
small streams in the town, and some handsome
ponds. The pleasant village of Northfield is
situated on an elevated plain, about a mile from
the river, on the E. side. 37 miles W. by N.
from Fitchburg, by railroad, and 87 from Boston.
Northfield, N. H., Merrimae co. The soil is in
some parts good. Chestnut and Sondogardy
Ponds are in this town. Winnipiseogee River
is on the N., and the Merrimae on the W. Near
Webster's Falls, the Winnipiseogee falls into the
Pemigewasset, and the united streams form the
Merrimae. The principal elevation, Bean Hill,
separates the town from Canterbury. First set-
tlers, Benjamin Blanchard and others, in 1760.
From Concord 16 miles N., on the Concord and
Northfield, N. Y., Richmond co. Bounded on
the N. and W. by the Kills. The surface and
soil are diversified, and bordering on Staten
Island Sound are some broad marshes. 3 miles
N. from Richmond, and 156 S. from Albany.
Northfield, Yt., Washington co. The princi-
pal stream in this town is Dog River; it affords
a great number of valuable mill privileges. The
timber is various. The soil is generally good,
and the surface uneven. There are 4 villages in
this town. The Central Railroad between Bos-
ton and Burlington passes through it. The first
settlement was made here, in 1785, by Amos and
Ezekiel Robinson and Staunton Richardson,
from Westminster. The first land was cleared by
Hon. Elijah Paine. 10 miles S. W. from Mont-
North Haven, Ct., New Haven co. North Ha-
ven was taken from New Haven in 1786. The
town lies on both sides of the Wallingford, or
Quinnipiac River, and comprises the valley and
a part of the borderiiig hills. The valley is
partly rich intervale land, and more extensively
sand, covered with a thin stratum of loam, light,
but warm. Near the northern line of the town, it
is so light as, in two or three places of small ex-
tent, to be blown into drifts. The soil of the
hills is good, being a reddish loam. From the
vicinity of this town to New Haven, and from its
light and warm soil, which is favorable for early
vegetation, there are various culinary vegetables,
particularly peas, cultivated for the New Haven
market. But the most striking feature in the
township is the large and beautiful tract of salt
meadows on both sides of the Quinnipiac. These
meadows produce large quantities of grass, which
is mowed and stacked upon the land, from
whence, when the ground is frozen sufficiently
solid in the winter, it is removed. Upon the salt
marsh, the hay is salt; but on those meadows
which are protected from the salt water by means
of dikes, the grass is fresh and of a better quality.
These are called dike marshes or meadows.
Noi'th Hempstead, N. Y., Long Island. See
North Hero, Yt., c. h. Grand Isle co. The soil
is of an excellent quality, and produces grain of
all kinds in abundance. This town has no
streams of any consequence. It was organized
in 1789. The settlement was commenced in
1783, by Enos and Solomon Wood, the former