New Ipswich, N, H., Hillsboro' co. This town
is watered by many rivulets, but principally by
Souhegan River. Over this river is a stone
bridge, built in 1817. It is 156 feet long, 22
wide, and 42 high, resting on a single arch of
split stone ; cost $3500. The first cotton factory
in the state was built in this town in 1803. New
Ipswich has become an important manufacturing
town. Pratt's and Hoar's Ponds contain about
50 acres each. Here is fine pasture land under
cultivation. The New Ipswich Academy was
incorporated June 18, 1789. The principal vil-
lage is in the centre of the town, in a pleasant
and fertile valley. 50 miles S. S. W. from Con-
cord, and about 18 S. W. from Amherst.
New Kent County, Va., c. h. at New Kent Court
House. This county is bounded N. and E. by
Pamunky River, separating it from King Wil-
liam and King and Queen counties, S. E. by
Janies City co., S. W. by Chickahominy River,
separating it from Charles City and Henrico
counties, and N. W. by Hanover co.
New Kent, Va., c. h. New Kent co. 3 miles S.
from Pamunky River, and 30 E. from Richmond.
New Lebanon, N. Y., Columbia co. Watered
by Lebanon and Kinderhook Creeks, and con-
tains the celebrated Lebanon Springs, also an
extensive Shaker settlement. The surface is
hilly and mountainous, being traversed on the E.
by the Taghkanie Mountains, and W. and S. by
the Peterboro' Hills, leaving a large and fertile
valley between. 25 miles N. E. from Hudson,
and 24 S. W. from Albany.
New Lebanon Springs, N. Y., Columbia co. 25
miles S. E. from Albany. See Fashionable Resorts.
New Lisbon, N. Y., Otsego co. Butternut and
Otego Creeks water this town. Surface diversi-
fied with hills and broad valleys; soil sandy
loam. 82 miles .S. W. from Cooperstown, and
13 W. from Albany.
New Lisbon, 0., c. h. Columbiana co. On the N.
bank of the Middle Fork of Little Beaver River.
150 miles E. N. E. from Columbus. A prosperous
and beautiful place; has some of its streets paved.
New London County, Ct. New London and
Norwich are the county towns. New London co.
is bounded N. by Windham, Tolland, and Hart-
ford counties, E. by Windham co. and the state
of Rhode Island, S. by Long Island Sound, and
W. by the county of Middlesex. This county
possesses superior maritime advantages, having
an extensive border on Long Island Sound, which
affords numerous bays, inlets, and harbors. Ex-
cepting a small section, principally in the town of
Lyme, no portion of the county can be considered
as mountainous ; but it is generally hilly and ele-
vated, and comprises a small proportion of alluvial.
The hills and elevated tracts are considerably
rough and stony. The lands in general are not
adapted to grain culture, although upon the inter-
vales and other tracts, Indian corn is raised to
advantage and to a considerable extent. The
principal agricultural interests depend very much
upon grazing. The waters of the county are
abundant and valuable. On the S. it is washed
more than 30 miles by Long Island Sound,
part of its western border by Connecticut River,
and the interior of the county is watered and
fertilized by the Thames and its branches. The
fishing business is more extensively carried on
m this county than in any other section of the
state, and is an important branch of industry.
New London, Ct., c. h. New London co. Town
and city. The first English settlement in
New London commenced in 1646. It is situ-
ated on the W. bank of the River Thames. In
its territorial limits it is much the smallest of
any town in the state, being about 4 miles in
length from N. to S., and averages about three
fourths of a mile in breadth. The city of New
London is situated 3 miles from Long Island
Sound, and is a port of entry. The city is princi-
pally built on a declivity, which descends to the E.
and S. It is irregularly laid out, owing to the
nature of the ground on which it is built, being
much encumbered with granite rocks. Some of
the streets have been straightened and levelled, by
blasting the granite rocks with which they were
disfigured. The harbor is one of the best in the
United States, being large, safe, and commodious,
having 5 fathoms of water. It is 3 miles long,
and rarely .obstructed with ice. During the
extreme cold in January, 1835, while the naviga-
tion of the harbor of New York was closed by
the ice, the harbor of New London remained
open and unobstructed. This handsome place
has long been distinguished for the enterprise of
its inhabitants in navigation and commerce,
especially in the whale fishery. Besides ship
building, and the manufacture of oil and candles,
it has a variety of other manufactures; and now
that the railroads, built and in progress, afford it
an easy communication with the interior, and
with the great marts of commerce, it has received
a new impulse, and is rapidly increasing in wealth
and population. Population in 1850, 9006. 61
miles S. E. from Hartford, and 53 E. from New
Haven. Connected by railroad, via New Haven,
with New York, 130 miles; with Boston, via
Worcester, 118 miles ; with Hartford, via Nor-
wich and Willimantic, 61 miles.
New London, Mo., c. h. Ralls co. On the S.
side of Salt River. 98 miles N. N. E. from Jeffer-
New London, N. II., Merrimae co. Lake Sun-
apee separates this town from Wendell, and is
the principal source of Sugar River. Little Sun-
apee, Pleasant, Harvey's, and Messer's Ponds are
in this town. Harvey's and Messer's are sepa-
rated by a bog. The settlements of New London
are formed principally on three large swells of
land. The soil is deep and good. In the N.
part are several elevations. In some parts the
land is rocky. The damage by the violent whirl-
wind of September 9, 1821, was estimated at
$9000. A large rock, lying out of the ground,
100 feet long, 50 wide, and 20 high, was rent
into 2 pieces, and thrown about 20 feet asunder.
30 miles W. N. W. from Concord.
New London, Pa., Chester co. Watered by
Elk and Clay Creeks. Surface gently sloping ;
soil sandy loam.
New Madrid County, Mo., c. h. at New Madrid.
Bounded N. and N. E. by Scott and Mississippi
counties, E. and S. by the Mississippi River, sep-
arating it from Kentucky, and W. by Dunklin co.
The surface is level, and the soil, in parts not lia-
ble to inundation, is fertile.
New Madrid, Mo., c. h. New Madrid co. On
the N. side of a considerable bend in the Missis-
sippi River.' 271 miles S. E. from Jefferson City.
In 1811 and 1812 this place was visited with
New Market, N. H., Rockingham co. Piscata-
qua, Lamprey, and Swampscot Rivers water this
town. The soil is good, and agricultural pursuits