1741. It was incorporated by New Hampshire,
April 1, 1746, and the name altered to Nashua,
in December, 1836.
Distances, 35 miles S. of Concord, and 40 N.
from Boston by railroad, and about 12 miles S.
E. from Amherst. A railroad passes from this
place to Worcester and Providence.
Nashville. Is., c.h. Washington co. On an ele-
vated prairie, at the head of Little Crooked
Creek, and 118 miles S. by E. from Springfield.
Nashville, la., c. h. Brown co. On the N. side
of Salt Creek, 54 miles S. from Indianapolis.
Nashville, N. C., c, h. Nash co. On the S. side
of Peach Tree Creek, a branch of Tar River, and
44 miles E. by N. from Raleigh.
Nashville, N. H., Hillsboro' co. This town was
taken from Nashua and incorporated June 23,
1842. The soil on the rivers and other streams is
rich, but elsewhere is light and sandy. In the
S. E. corner of the town is a considerable portion
of Nashua village. The cemetery in this village
is beautiful. It lies in a grove in the rear of the
Unitarian Church, occupying about two acres.
Cost of ground, fences, walks, &c., about $3000.
In this place are large manufactories, on the
Nashua River, opposite to Nashua. See Nashua.
Nashville, city, capital of the state of Tennes-
see, and seat of justice for Davidson co., is situ-
ated on the S. side of Cumberland River, 120
miles from its mouth, and at the head of steam-
boat navigation. Population in 1830, 5566; in
1840, 6929; in 1850, 10,500.
The city is pleasantly located upon a high
and healthy site, of undulating surface, varying
from 50 to 175 feet in elevation from the level
of the river. The foundation is rocky, the soil
thin, and dotted here and there with beautiful
groves of cedar, giving to the environs a pleas-
ing variety of landscape scenery. Owing to the
salubrity of its situation, Nashville is the resort
of considerable numbers from the lower parts of
the country during the sultry heats of summer.
The city was originally laid out upon a ground
plot of 200 acres, with building lots of one acre
each, four acres being reserved for the public
buildings. But these boundaries have been sub-
ject to many variations. There is a public square
in the centre of the city, in which the court house
is placed, which is a handsome edifice, 105 feet
in front by 63 feet in depth, and two stories high,
besides the basement. It is surmounted by a
dome, the top of which is 90 feet from the ground,
supported by eight Ionic columns. The market
house, situated also in the public square, is one
of the finest buildings in the west. There are
spacious apartments in the building occupied as
a city hall and recorder's office. The Episcopal
Church is a fine stone building, in the Gothic
style of architecture. The Presbyterian and the
Methodist Churches, and some others, are large
and elegant buildings. There are ten or twelve
churches in the city, of the various denomina-
tions. The state house has a commanding loca-
tion on the highest ground in the city. The site,
consisting of four acres of ground, was purchased
by the city at a cost of $30,000, and presented
to the state for the purpose. There is a female
academy, situated in the western part of the city,
which is a flourishing institution, and several
other schools for young ladies, of a high order
of excellence. The primary schools for both sexes
are numerous and good Pew cities are better
provided with means of instruction for the young.
This city is the seat of Nashville University,
which was founded in 1806. The main col-
lege building is 200 feet long, 50 feet wide, and
three stories high. This building has wings,
and is accompanied by a spacious building for
the accommodation of the chemical laboratory.
All the university buildings, except the presi-
dent's house, are within the college campus,
which includes eight acres. The Lunatic Hospi-
tal is a large and commodous building, which will
accommodate over 100 patients. Vauxhall Gar-
den, in the S. part of the city, is a pleasant place
of resort for promenading and for popular recre-
ations. It is provided with a circular railway,
upon which a light pleasure car is propelled by
the hand of the rider. In the suburbs of the city
is a spring strongly impregnated with sulphur,
with accommodations provided for cold and
A number of steamboats of the first class are
owned in Nashville, which ply between this city
and Cincinnati, and other places. A railroad is
in process of construction from Nashville to
Chatanooga, in the southern border of the state,
a distance of 150 miles, which, when completed,
will afford an uninterrupted railroad communi-
cation betw'een Nashville and Charleston, S. C.,
and also by a separate line part of the way be-
tween Nashville and Savannah, Ga.
About 12 miles distant from Nashville is the
retired and quiet country seat of the late presi-
dent of the United States, Andrew Jackson, fa-
miliarly known as the Hermitage.'' As the
name he gave to it implies, the place which he
had selected for his private residence was in a
rural situation, rather remote from other habi-
tations. The house is stately in its size, and
symmetrical in its proportions, but makes no
great architectural display. To this quiet home,
after retiring from the presidential chair in 1836,
General Jackson withdrew to pass the remainder
of his days in the bosom of his family, continu-
ing still, through the great popularity of his
name, to exert a silent but extensive influence
upon the politics of the country. Here, on the
8th day of June, 1845, he breathed his last, in
the 79th year of his age.
Nassau County, Fa., c. h. at Fernandina. Is
bounded W. and N. by St. Mary's River, separat-
ing it from Georgia, E. by the Atlantic Ocean, and
S. by Nassau River, partly separating it from Du-
val co., and by Columbia co. Surface level, and
somewhat marshy. Amelia Island extends along
its sea-shore on the E. boundary.
Nassau, N. Y., Rensselaer co. Watered by
Kinderhook Creek and its branches. The sur-
face is rather hilly; soil very fertile. 16 miles
S. E. from Troy, and 12 S. by E. from Albany.
Natchez. City, and seat of justice for Adams
co., Mi. Situated on a high bluff on the E.
bank of the Mississippi, 100 miles S. W. from
Jackson, the capital of the state, and 279 miles
by the river above New Orleans. The bluff on
which Natchez is built is in some parts nearly
300 feet above the river, and is entirely composed
of clay, unmixed with the smallest pebble; the
whole resting on a substratum of pudding stone
rock, which appears in view only when the water
in the river is at a very lowr stage.
Natchez under the Hill, as it is called, is a portion
of the place which lies upon the margin of the
river, consisting of warehouses, stores, and shops,
for the accommodation of the landing. But the