Hayward’s United States Gazetteer (1853) page 466

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Page 465 ...Page 467

Note: Ctrl and + increases the font size of the text below, Ctrl and - decreases it, and Ctrl and 0 resets it to default size.


houses, with few exceptions, are occupied only
in the warm season. A fine hotel is maintained
here, affording the most genteel accommodations
during the season of company. The village is
compactly built on a level grass plat, near the
edge of a steep cliff, the land rising in the rear
so as to cut off a view of the town of Nantucket.
This place presents uncommon attractions in the
warm season for invalids and persons seeking
recreation. It has a fine bracing air and excel-
lent water. In front of the village “ the eye rests
on a broad expanse of the Atlantic, and below,
the surf, rolling and breaking, gives animation to
the scene by day, and lulls to repose by night.''

An excellent steamboat plies between Nan-
tucket and New Bedford, touching at Holmes
Hole, on Martha's Vineyard, and Wood's Hole,
5 miles from Falmouth. The distance from
Boston to Nantucket is 110 miles, of which one
half is travelled by railroad, and the other half
by steamboats.

Naples, Is., Scott co. Located on Illinois Riv-
er, 2 miles above the entrance of the Mauvaise-
terre, and 56 miles W. from Springfield. The
trade of this place is extensive. Steamboats in
great numbers arrive here.

Naples, Me., Cumberland co. This town was
formed from Otisfield and Raymond, and incor-
porated in 1834. It is watered by Sebago and
Songo Ponds, and Crooked and Muddy Rivers.
It has good mill privileges and a productive
soil. Naples lies 63 miles W. S. W. from Augus-
ta, and 27 N. N. W. from Portland.

Naples, N. Y., Ontario co. The outlets of
Canandaigua and Honeoye Lakes water this town,
the surface of which is hilly, and the soil clay
loam, based upon slate. 18 miles S. from Can-
andaigua, and 211 W. from Albany

Napa County, Ca. On the height of land be-
tween the Sacramento and the coast.

Napoleon, 0., c. h. Henry co.

Napoli, N. Y., Cattaraugus co. Coldspring
Creek waters this town, which has an elevated
and rolling surface and productive soil. 12 miles
W. from Ellicottville, and 307 S. of W. from

Nash County, N. C., c. h. at Nashville. Bound-
ed N. by Halifax co., E. by Edgecombe, S. by
Johnson, and W. by Franklin co. Drained by
Moccason River, and Tar River and branches.

Nashua, N. H., Hillsboro' co. This town,
which was called Dunstable until 1836, original-
ly embraced a large extent of territory.

In the N. E. corner of the town, (and in Nash-
ville,) on Nashua River, is the flourishing village
of Nashua, the centre of a large trade and the
seat of important manufactures. The village
lies partly in Nashua and partly in Nashville, the
river forming the dividing line. (See
That part of the village lying in Nashua con-
tains 4 churches, a beautiful town house, a large
number of handsome dwelling houses, stores,
public houses, &c.

The Nashua Manufacturing Company was in-
corporated in 1823. It has 4 mills, two 155 feet
in length, 45 in breadth, and 6 stories in height;
two about 190 feet in length, 50 feet in breadth,
and 5 stories high. They contain 37,000 spin-
dles, 100 looms, and manufacture 13,000,000
yards of cloth per annum, use 10,000 bales cot-
ton, weighing 4,000,000 pounds, and their pay
roll is about $16,000 every 4 weeks. Their canal
i6 3 miles long, 60 feet wide, and 8 feet deep, head
and fall 36 feet. There are about 1000 females
and 200 males employed in these mills.

In 1845, the Nashua Company built a large
machine shop; the main building is 150 feet
long, with an addition of 153 feet, used for
blacksmith's shop, furnace, &c. The main build-
ing is occupied by shuttle and bobbin makers,
locksmiths, gunsmiths, manufacturers of axes,
hoes, ploughs, and by artisans in other branch-
es ; there are about 300 men employed in this
concern. About $40,000 worth of mortise locks
and latches for dwelling house doors, and rose-
wood and brass knobs for the handles of the
same, are manufactured annually.

In 1845, a large and extensive iron foundery
was erected; more than 4000 pounds of castings
per day are manufactured from pig iron ; 18 tons
can be melted in 12 hours: more than 30 men
are employed, and the business exceeds $40,000
a year.

The same year a cotton manufacturing es-
tablishment went into operation in the Salmon
Brook, at the “ Harbor,'' so called; about $30,000
worth of goods are annually manufactured.
There are also other valuable manufactures on
Nashua River and the waters of Salmon Brook.
In the spring of 1848, an extensive concern went
into operation for making railroad iron.

The soil of Nashua has considerable variety.
The land in the E. part of the town, on Merri-
mac River, is level and fertile, as well as some
portion of the valleys of the Nashua and Salmon
Brook, but a considerable part of the town is
sandy or uneven. It is watered by Salmon Brook,
a small stream flowing from Groton, Ms., and
emptying into the Merrimae, and by the Merri-
mac and Nashua Rivers.

This was the earliest settlement in the south-
ern part of New Hampshire. It was incorporat-
ed in 1673, and settled before that time. Since
1679 it has had a settled minister. It was a fron-
tier settlement for 50 years, and as such peculiar-
ly exposed to Indian attacks. In 1675, during
Philip's war, it was abandoned. In 1691, several
persons were killed in town by the Indians. From
this time to 1706, frequent attacks were made, and
ravages committed, in one of which, the celebrat-
ed friendly Indian, Joe. English, was killed.
In 1724, 2 persons were captured in Nash-
ville, and carried away. A party of 11 persons
started in pursuit, but were soon waylaid by the
Indians, and 10 of them killed. The only sur-
vivor was Josiah Farwell, who was the next year
lieutenant in Lovewell's expedition.

In 1725, Captain John Lovewell, of this town,
raised a company of volunteers, and marched
northward in pursuit of the enemy. In his first
expedition, they killed 1 Indian and took 1 pris-
oner; in his second excursion, they killed 10 In-
dians, but in his third expedition, he fell into an
ambuscade at Lovewell's Pond, in Fryeburg, Me.
Captain Lovewell, Lieutenant Farwell, and En-
sign Robbins, all of this town, were killed, as
also the chaplain, Mr. Frye, and 12 others, and 11
wounded. In this conflict the noted chief Paugus
was killed. The blow fell heavily upon the feeble
settlement, but it was a triumph for New Eng-
land. The power of-the Indians was broken for-
ever, and song and romance have embalmed the
memory of the heroes of “Lovewell's Fight.''

Dunstable belonged to Massachusetts till the
division line between the two provinces of Mas-
sachusetts and New Hampshire was settled in

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.