tributary, the Auchenahatchee, on its S. and S.
W. border. Drained by the Oconee and branches,
and Pendleton Creek.
Montgomery County, Is., c. h. at Hillsboro'.
Bounded N. by Sangamon and Christian coun-
ties, E. by Shelby and Fayette, S. by Bond and
Madison, and W. by Macoupin co. Shoal Creek
and its branches, the head waters of Macoupin
Creek, and a branch of the S. fork of Sagamon
Biver water this county. Surface high and un-
dulating ; soil fertile.
Montgomery County, la., c. h. at Crawfordsville.
Bounded N. by Tippecanoe, E. by Boone and
Hendricks, S. by Putnam, and W. by Parke
and Fountain counties. Sugar, Big and Little
Baccoon Creeks drain this county. Surface un-
dulating ; soil fertile.
Montgomery County, Ky., c. h. at Mount Ster-
ling. Bounded N. and N. E. by Bourbon and
Bath counties, E. by Morgan, S. by Breathitt and
Owsley, and W. by Estill and Clark counties.
Drained by Bed Biver and branches, a branch
of Kentucky Biver, and a branch of Licking
Montgomery County, Md., c. li. at Bockville.
Bounded N. E. by the Patuxent Biver, separat-
ing it from Ann co., S. E. by Prince George co.
and the District of Columbia, S. W. by the Poto-
mac Biver, separating it from Virginia, and N.
W. by Frederick co. Drained by branches of Po-
tomac and Patuxent Bivers. Surface somewhat
uneven ; soil rather poor, except on the streams.
Montgomery, Ms., Hampden co. This is a moun-
tainous township, well watered by Westfield Eiv-
er and Moose Meadow Brook, and produces rich
pasturage. Montgomery lies, by the Western
Eailroad, which passes the S. W. border of the
town, 18 miles N. W. from Springfield, and 116
W. by S. from Boston.
Montgomery County, Mo., c. h. at Danville.
Bounded N. by Audrain and Pike counties, E.
by Lincoln and Warren, S. by the Missouri Biv-
er, separating it from Gasconade co., and W.
by Callaway co. Drained by Au Cuivre and
Loutre Creeks. Surface undulating; soil diver-
Montgomery County, N. C., c. h. at Lawrence-
ville. Bounded N. by Bandolph co., E. by Moore,
S. by Bichmond, and W. by the Yadkin Biver,
separating it from Stanley co. Surface hilly and
mountainous, and drained by branches of the
Yadkin; soil fertile.
Montgomery, N. J., Somerset co. Beden's Brook
and branches, and Stony Brook, water this town.
Surface hilly ; soil clay, sand, and red shale. 12
miles S. W. from Somerville.
Montgomery County, N. Y., c. h. at Mohawk.
Formed from Albany co., in 1772, but since re-
duced in size by the formation of new counties.
Bounded N. by Fulton, J3. by Saratoga and
Schenectady, S. by Schenectady and Schoharie,
and W. by Herkimer co. It is watered by the
Mohawk Biver and its branches, the principal of
which are East Canada, Otsquake and Schoharie
railroad communication, with Charleston and
Savannah on the Atlantic coast. It has thus be-
come a great thoroughfare for travellers between
the north and south. This city was laid out
and began to be settled in 1817.
Montgomery County, Ga., c. h. at Mount Ver-
non. Bounded N. E. by Emanuel co, S. E. by
Tatnal and Appling, S. W. by Telfair, and N.
W. by Laurens co. It has the Ockmulgee and its
Creeks. Surface rather hilly and mountainous,
being partly covered by a range of the High-
lands and the Klips, a branch of the Mayfield
Mountain ; soil mostly good, and along the mar-
gins of the streams remarkably fertile. A fine
quality of building stone is quarried here in large
quantities. The Erie Canai runs along the N.,
and the Utica and Schenectady Eailroad the S.
side of the Mohawk Biver, through this county.
Montgomery, N. Y., Orange co. Watered by
the Wallkill. Surface hilly; soil well adapted
to grass and grain. 10 miles N. from Goshen,
and 95 S. S. W. from Albany.
Montgomery County, 0., c. h. at Dayton. Mi-
ami is on the N., Green on the E., Preble on the
W., and Warren and Butler counties on the S.
It was constituted and organized in 1803. The
land is generally level, and is watered by the Mi-
ami, South-West Branch, and Mad Bivers, be-
sides Wolf, Hole's, Bear, and Trim Creeks. This
county is fast improving in wealth and population.
Montgomery County, Pa., c. h., at Norristown.
Bounded N. E. by Bucks, and S. E. by Philadel-
phia co., S. W. by the Schuylkill Biver, separat-
ing it from Chester co., and N. W. by Berks co.
The Schuylkill Biver affords extensive water
power, and it is also drained by Manatawney,
Perkiomen, Wissihickon and Pennypack Creeks.
Surface slightly uneven; soil fertile, especially
along the Schuylkill.
Montgomery, Pa., Franklin co. Drained by
Conecoheague Creek and branches. Surface level;
soil mostly calcareous loam. 16 miles S. W.
from Chambers burg.
Montgomery, Pa., Montgomery co. Drained by
Wissihickon, a branch of the Schuylkill, and by
the W. fork of Neshaminy Creek, a branch of the
Delaware. Surface level; soil loam and red shale.
Montgomery County, Te., c. h. at Clarksville.
Bounded N. by Kentucky, E. by Bobertson co.,
S. by Dickson, and W. by Steward co. Drained
by Cumberland Biver and its branches, the chief
of which is Bed Biver.
Montgomery County, Ts., c. h. at Montgomery.
On the E. banks of the Brazos and Navasota
and upper waters of San Jacinto.
Montgomery, Vt., Franklin co. This town lies
in a mountainous country, but it has a valuable
tract of land on Trout Biver, a good mill stream,
a branch of the Missisco. Montgomery was
granted March 13,1780, and chartered October 8,
1789, to Stephen B. Brandley and others. Cap-
tain Joshua Clap, a revolutionary officer, removed
his family from Worcester co., Ms., into this town,
in March, 1793. 40 miles N. from Montpelier,
and 27 E. N. E. from St. Albans.
Montgomery County, Va., c. h. at Christiansburg.
Incorporated in 1777. Bounded N. by Giles and
Boanoke counties, E. by Boanoke and Franklin,
S. by Floyd co., and W. by New Biver, separating
it from Pulaski co. Drained by branches of New
and head branches of Staunton Biver. Surface
rough and mountainous, having the Blue Bidge
on its E. border; soil fertile on the streams.
Monticello, As., c. h. Drew co.
Monticello, Fa., c. h. Jefferson co. On a ridge 4
miles E. from Mickasooky Lake, and 29 E. N. E.
Monticello, Ga., c. h. Jasper co. 35 miles W.
N. W. from Milledgeville.
Monticello, la., c. h. White co. On the W. bank
of Tippecanoe Biver. 73 miles N. N W. frcm