northerly part is rough and mountainous. Kear-
sage is the highest mountain, its summit being
about 2400 feet above the level of the sea. The
Ragged Mountains, so called from their appear-
ance, lie N. E. of Kearsage, and between Andover
and Hill. They are nearly 2000 feet high, at
the N. points of the range. Bear's Hill, Suna-
pee, Catamount, and Peak are the other most
considerable elevations. A part of Lake Suna-
pee lies in Newbury; and there are numerous
ponds interspersed throughout the whole territory.
The Merrimae River meanders through nearly
the centre of the county, and forms the boundary
some distance at the N. E. part. It receives
from the W. Blackwater and Contoocook Rivers,
and from the E. Soncook and Suncook, and other
Merrimae, N. H., Hillsboro' co. The Merri-
mac waters the E. borders of this town, opening
a communication by water from this place to
Boston. Souhegan also passes through it, and
has fine water privileges. Babboosuck Brook
empties into Souhegan River, and Penichook
Brook forms the southern boundary. The soil is
fertile, and there are fine intervales on the Merri-
mac. This town claims the first manufacture, in
this region, of Leghorn bonnets. They were
first made by the Misses Burnaps. Some of
their bonnets sold at auction for $50 each. The
first house in this town was erected on the mar-
gin of the river for a house of traffic with the
Indians. 6 miles S. E. from Amherst, and 28 S.
from Concord, by railroad. The railroad between
Lowell and Concord passes through this town.
Methuen, Ms., Essex co. On the N. bank of
the Merrimae. It was taken from Haverhill in
1725. In this town is a pleasant and flourishing
village, on both sides of Spigot River, which
here has a fall of 36 feet, over a rocky precipice.
The natural resources of the town are various—
a fertile soil, abundance of wood, and inexhaust-
ible beds of excellent peat. The site of the vil-
lage is very elevated, and commands an extensive
prospect of the beautiful and romantic scenery
with which it is environed. It adjoins the city
of Lawrence on the N. 25 miles N. by W. from
Boston, and 20 N. W. by N. from Salem.
Metropolis City, Is., c. h. Monroe co. On the
Mexico, Me., Oxford co. This town lies on the
N. side of Androscoggin River, and is watered
by two of its tributaries. It has a good soil and
a good water power. It lies 47 miles W. N. W.
from Augusta, and 20 N. from Paris. Incorpo-
Mexico, Mo., c. h. Audrain co. On the E. side
of Salt River. 47 miles N. from Jefferson City.
Mexico, N. Y., Oswego co. Drained by Salmon
Creek, a tributary of Lake Ontario, which bounds
this town on the N. Surface undulating; soil
productive. 16 miles E. from Oswego, and 152
N. W. from Albany.
Miami County, la., c. h. at Peru. Bounded N.
by Kosciusko co., E. by Wabash and Grant, S.
by Richardville, and W. by Cass and Eulton
counties. Drained by Wabash, Eel, and Missis-
sinewa Rivers. The Erie and Wabash Canal
also passes through this county. Surface undu-
lating ; soil very fertile.
Miami County, O., e. h. at Troy. Shelby is on
the N., Champaign and Clark on the E., Mont-
gomery on the S., and Dark on the W. The
county was organized in 1807, and settled in 1799,
by John Knorp, from Pennsylvania, and Shadrach
Hudson, from New Jersey. It is well improved,
very productive, and is watered by the Miami
Canal and River, South-west Branch, Spring,
Honey, and Lost Creeks.
Miami, 0., Hamilton co. 119 miles W. S.
W. from Columbus. It is on the W. bank of
Miami River, about 15 miles from its junction
with the Ohio. The Miami is here crossed by
a bridge. A McAdamized turnpike leads to Cin-
cinnati, 14 miles E.
Miamisburg, O., Montgomery co. This is a
very flourishing, pleasant town, on the E. bank
of the Great Miami River. The Miami Canal
passes through it, and a very large artificial
mound is within its limits. 80 miles from Co-
lumbus, and 40 from Cincinnati.
Michigan City, la., Laporte co. 157 miles N.
N. W. from Indianapolis. This place, which is
on the S. shore of Michigan, is the only harbor
in the state. It is at the mouth of Trail Creek,
and was laid out in 1835. It is well situated for
trade, as a lake port, and is now connected both
with the Michigan Central and the Michigan
Southern Railroads, which unite, and pass through
this place to Chicago, 41 miles W.
Middleboro', Ms., Plymouth co. This is the
largest town in the commonwealth. Middle-
boro' was so named from the circumstance that
Nemasket, the central Indian village in the
town, was half way between the seat of the Pil-
grims in Plymouth and the seat of the great In-
dian sachem, Massasoit, towards Mount Hope,
near Bristol, Rhode Island. The Nemasket
River flows through the town, and there are sev-
eral handsome villages in different parts. The
great ponds, for which this town has been dis-
tinguished, are Sowampset, Quiticasset, Perksha,
and Poekaninna; also Long Pond. Some of
the streams on which the manufactures are con-
ducted are these: Whetstone, Ravens, Bartlett,
Eall Brook, Trout Brook, and Stillwater. On
the rocks in this town are the prints of naked
hands and feet. The first planters of Middleboro'
came mainly from Plymouth. Middleboro' Pour
Corners, a large and handsome village, lies 36
miles S. S. E. from Boston. The railroad be-
tween Boston, Eall River, and Wareham passes
through this village. Erom the Eour Corners
to Central village, is about 2 miles N. E.; to
Eddyville, 4 miles N. E.; to Muttock village, 1
mile N.; to Titicut, 4 miles N. W.; and to
Sowampset village, near the Great Pond, is 4
miles S. W. The New Bedford and Taunton
Railroad passes through the S. part of the town.
Middlebourne, Ya., c. h. Tyler co. On the E.
side of Middle Island Creek. 307 miles N. W.
Middlebury, N. Y., Schoharie co. Watered
by the head branch of the Catskill Creek, and
a large pond or marsh called the Yly, from which
flows a powerful mill stream, emptying into Scho-
harie Creek. Surface hilly; soil, in the valleys,
very fertile loam. 6 miles S. from Schoharie,
and 37 S. W. from Albany.
Middlebury, N. Y., Wyoming co. Allen's
Creek and a branch of the Tonawanda water
this town, the surface of which is rolling, and the
soil sandy and clay loam, yielding large crops of
grass and grain. 6 miles N. from Warsaw, and
248 W. from Albany.
Middlebury, Yt., shire town of Addison co., is
a large and flourishing town on both sides of