Macon County, Ga., c. h. at Lanier. Bounded
N. by Talbot and Crawford counties, E. by Hous-
ton, S. by Dooly and Sumpter, and W. by Mari-
on co. Flint River traverses this county from
N. to S., and with its branches waters the sur-
Macon, Ga. City, and seat of justice of Bibb
co., at the head of steam navigation on the
Ockmulgee River, 30 miles S. W. from Milledge-
ville. The town is built on both sides of the
river, over which there is a bridge, about 400
feet in length. This place has had a very rapid
growth since 1822, when there was but a single
cabin on the site where it now stands. By its
population it now ranks among the largest places
in the state. Besides the county buildings, which
are large and handsome, there is an elegant mar-
ket house, and 5 or 6 churches. A great amount
of cotton is shipped from this place, employing 8
or 10 steamboats on the Ockmulgee, besides tow
boats and pole boats. There are 10 or 12 foreign
commission houses, with a large capital em-
ployed, and many stores occupied with an exten-
sive retail trade. This city is connected by rail-
roads with Savannah, 191 miles; Augusta, 165
miles, and Charleston, 300 miles; with Mont-
gomery, on the navigable waters of the Alabama,
276 miles; and with other important points on
the Chattahoochee and Tennessee Rivers.
Macon County, Is., c. h. at Decatur. Bounded
N. by De Witt, E. by Platt and Moultrie, S. by
Shelby and Christian, and W. by Christian, San-
gamon, and Logan counties. Watered by Kas-
kaskia River, by the N. fork of Sangamon River,
and by Salt Creek. The surface is chiefly level,
and soil fertile.
Macon County, Mo., c. h. at Bloomington.
Bounded N. by Adair and Knox, E. by Shelby,
S. by Randolph and Chariton, and W. by Linn
co. Chariton and East Chariton Rivers, and the
branches of Salt River, water this county.
Macon County, N. C., c. h. at Franklin. Bounded
N. by Tennessee, E. by Haywood and Henderson
counties, S. by South Carolina and Georgia, and
W. by Cherokee co. Watered by the head
branches of Tennessee River. Surface elevated,
and in parts mountainous.
Macoupin County, Is., c. h. Carlinville. Incor-
porated in 1829. Bounded N. by Morgan and
Sangamon counties, E. by Montgomery, S. by
Madison, and W. by Jersey and Greene counties.
Watered by Macoupin Creek and branches, and
by the head branches of Cahokia and Wood
Creeks. Surface gently undulating; soil mostly
of excellent quality.
Macungy, Pa., Lehigh co. Surface level, and
watered by Jordan and Little Lehigh Creeks.
Soil fertile calcareous loam. 83 miles E. N. E.
Madawaska Plantation, Me. Aroostook co.
On the St. John's, opposite the mouth of the
Madbury, N. H., Strafford co. The soil is gen-
erally productive. In some parts of the town,
bog iron ore and red and yellow ochre have been
found. Bellamy Bank River is the only stream
of any magnitude, and Barbadoes Pond the only
considerable body of water. This pond lies be-
tween Dover and Madbury, and is 120 rods
long and 50 wide. Madbury was formerly a
part of Dover. 36 miles E. S. E. from Con-
cord, and about 3 miles from the railroad depot
Madbury, N. H., Strafford co. 36 miles E. S
E. from Concord.
Madison County, Aa., c.h.at Huntsville. Bound-
ed N. by Tennessee, E. by Jackson co., S. by the
Tennessee River, separating it from Marshall
and Morgan counties, and W. by Limestone co.
Watered by Flint River and other branches of
the Tennessee. Surface somewhat hilly; soil
Madison County, As., c. h. at Sevierville. It is
bounded N. by Missouri, E. by Carroll and New-
ton, S. by Franklin, and W. by Washington and
Benton counties. Watered by White River and
Madison, Ct., New Haven co. This town was
taken from Guilford in 1826. The soil is stony,
and naturally hard to cultivate; but it is made
quite productive by the use of whitejish, ploughed
in. These fish appear in the Sound about the
1st of June, and continue 3 or 4 months. They
are taken in great quantities, and are considered
an excellent manure. They were first thus used
about the year 1798. This place has a small
harbor and some navigation. Ship building is
the most important mechanical pursuit. 18 miles
E. by S. from New Haven.
Madison County, Fa., c. h. Madison. Bounded
N. by Georgia, E. by Suwanee River, separating
it from Columbia, Alachua, and Levy counties,
S. and S. W. by the Gulf of Mexico, and W. by
Oscilla River, separating it from Jefferson co.
This county contains numerous small lakes,
and has good water. Surface undulating; soil
sterile in the central portions, but fertile elsewhere.
Madison, Fa., c. h. Madison co.
Madison County, Ga., c. h. at Danielsville. It is
bounded N. by Franklin, E. by Elbert, S. by Ogle-
thorpe and Clarke, and W. by Jackson co.
Madison, Ga., c. h. Morgan co. 41 miles N. N.
W. from Milledgeville.
Madison County, Is., c. h. Edwardsville. It is
bounded N. by Jersey, Macoupin, and Montgom-
ery counties, E. by Bond and Clinton, S. by St.
Clair co., and W. by the Mississippi River, sep-
arating it from Missouri. Drained by Cahokia,
Silver, and Wood Creeks, and their branches.
Madison County, la., c. h. at Andersontown.
Bounded N. by Grant, E. by Delaware, S. by
Hancock, and W. by Hamilton and Richardville
counties. Watered by White River and its trib-
utaries, which afford hydraulic power. Surface
level; soil productive.
Madison, la. City, and seat of justice of Jef-
ferson co. On the N. side of the Ohio River. 86
miles S. from Indianapolis, 92 W. from Cincin-
nati, and 41 E. from Louisville. This place is
well situated on a bend of the river, above the
reach of the highest floods. In the rear of the
city the hills rise abruptly to the height of 250
feet. This is the S. terminus of the Madison
and Indianapolis Railroad, which extends by
branches in different directions beyond Indian-
apolis, N. and W. Madison is handsomely built,
mostly with brick. The streets are broad and
straight, and several of them are paved. The
principal public buildings are a court house,
jail, a branch of the State Bank, and 5 or 6
church edifices. It is a place of much enterprise
and success in business. Large manufacturing
operations are carried on here by steam power,
among which are iron founderies, cotton facto-
ries, a steam-engine factory, flouring mills, oil
mills, &c. A great business is done here in the