Lyons, Mn., Ionia co. On both sides of Grand
Biver, 100 miles from its mouth, and at the head
of steamboat navigation. The river has a fall at
this place, affording good hydraulic power. 134
miles W. N. W. from Detroit.
Lyons, N. Y., c. h. Wayne co. At the junc-
tion of Mud Creek and the Canandaigua outlet,
which form Clyde River. Surface hilly; soil
fertile sandy and calcareous loam. 171 miles
N. of W. from Albany.
Lysander, N. Y., Onondaga co. Bounded on
the S. by Seneca River. Surface chiefly level,
and soil of good quality. 15 miles N. W. from
Syracuse, and 158 from Albany.
McArthurslown, 0., c. h. Yinton co. 71 miles
S. E. from Columbus.
McConnelsville, 0., c. h. Morgan co. On the E.
bank of Muskingum River, on a pleasant spot,
from 10 to 30 feet above high water. 75 miles S.
E. from Columbus, and 38 N. W. from Marietta.
McCraken County, Ky., c. h. at Paducah.
Bounded N. by the Ohio River, separating it
from Illinois, E. by Marshall, S. by Graves, and
W. by Ballard co. Drained by Clark's River
and branches. Surface level; soil fertile.
McDonald, Mo., c. h. Barry co. On the N.
side of a small branch of White River. 200 miles
S. W. from Jefferson City.
McDonald County, Mo. In the S. W. corner
of the state. Watered by branches of Elk River,
a tributary of the Neosho.
McDonough, Ga., c. h. Henry co. Between
Towelagga and South Ockmulgee Rivers. 65
miles W. N. W. from Milledgeville.
McDonough County, Is., c. h. at Macomb. Incor-
porated in 1829. Bounded N. by Henderson and
Warren counties, E. by Fulton, S. by Schuyler, and
W. by Hancock co. Watered by Crooked River
and branches. Most of the land is fertile prairie.
McDowdl County, N. C-, c. h. at Marion. In
the W. part of the state. On the eastern slope
of the Blue Ridge. Contains the westernmost
sources of the Catawba.
McHenry County, Is., c. h. at McHenry.
Bounded N. by Wn., E. by Lake co., S. by
Kane and De Kalb, and W. by Boone co.
Watered by Des Plaines and Fox Rivers and
branches, and the N. branch of Chicago River.
The soil on the E. side of Fox River is clay, and on
the W. rich sandy loam. Limestone is abundant.
Mclndoes Falls, Yt. In the town of Barnet,
Caledonia co. At the head of navigation on the
Connecticut, and on the Passumpsie Railroad. 46
miles E. by N. from Montpelier.
McIntosh County, Ga., c. h. at Darien. Bounded
N. W. and N. E. by Liberty co., S. E. by the At-
lantic Ocean, and S. W. by the AlatamahaRiver,
separating it from Glynn and Wayne counties.
South Newport River runs o/i its N. E. border,
and Sapelo River, Jones and Doctor's Creeks
drain the interior. Surface level; soil produc-
tive. Sapelo, Black Bend, Wolf, and several
other islands, belong to this county.
McKean County, Pa., c. h. at Smithport. In-
corporated in 1804. Bounded N. by New York,
E. by Potter and Clinton counties, S. by Elk,
and W. by Warren co. Watered by Alleghany
River and branches, and by Sinnemahoning
Creek, a head branch of the W. fork of the Sus-
quehanna. Surface hilly, abounding with iron,
coal, and salt; soil suitable for grazing.
McKean. Pa., Erie co. Watered by Walnut
Creek and branches, and by Elk Creek. Surface
hilly; soil gravelly loam. 9 miles S. from Erie,
and 265 N. W. by W. from Harrisburg
Machias, Me., c. h. Washington co. On Ma-
chias River. It contains numerous saw mills, and
has an extensive trade in lumber. It is also a
place where ship building is largely carried on,
and the falls of the river above the tide water
afford considerable water power. It formerly
included Machias Port and East Machias. 143
miles E. N. E. from Augusta.
Machias Port, Me., Washington co. 146 miles
E. N. E. from Augusta, and 3 S. of Machias. It
has an excellent harbor, and a great number of
Mackinac County, Mn., c. h. at Mackinac. This
county embraces the whole upper peninsula of
Michigan lying beyond the Straits of Mackinac,
and between parts of Lakes Michigan and Supe-
rior, containing about 13,500 square miles, and
likewise several islands in the straits, which are
about 40 miles long, between Lake Michigan
and Lake Huron, and 4 miles wide, in the nar-
rowest part. Mackinac Island is elevated about
300 feet above the lake. A settlement was com-
menced here in 1764. The interior is yet, to a
great extent, a wilderness.
Mackinac, Mn., c. h. Mackinac co. This vil-
lage, 300 miles N. N. W. from Detroit, occupies
the S. E. extremity of an island of the same
name, at the W. extremity of Lake Huron. It
has a fine, spacious harbor, is the centre of an
extensive fur trade, and exports large quantities
offish. Fort Mackinac stands on a rocky emi-
nence, 150 feet above the village, commanding
the passage of the straits. This has long been a
station of the Roman Catholic missions. The
Protestant mission of the A. B. C. F. M. have
also established schools here.
McLean County, Is., c. h. at Bloomington.
Bounded N. by Woodford and Livingston coun-
ties, E. by Vermilion and Champaign, S. by
Platt, De Witt, and Logan, and W. by Taze-
well co. Watered by Mackinaw River and
Kickapoo and Salt Creeks. Surface slightly un-
dulating, a large part being prairie ; soil fertile.
McLeansboro\ Is., c. h. Hamilton co. On a
head branch of the N. fork of Salina Creek. S. S.
E. from Springfield 156 miles.
McMinn County, Te., c. h. at Athens. Hiwassee
River and its branches water this county.
McMinnville, Te., c. h. Warren co. 75 miles S.
E. from Nashville.
McNairy County, Te., c. h. at Purdy. Bounded
N. by Madison and Henderson, and E. by Hardin
co., S. by Mississippi, and W. by Hardeman co.
Drained by tributaries of Big Hatchee.
McNutt, Mi., c. h. Sunflower co.
Macomb County, Mn., c. h. at Mount Clemens
Incorporated in 1818. Bounded N. by Lapeer
and St. Clair counties, E. by St. Clair co. and
Lake St. Clair, S. by Wayne, and W. by Oakland
co. Drained by Clinton River and its branches.
Surface level in the E., but more hilly and un-
even in the W. portions. Soil mostly very fertile,
and well adapted to grass and grain. Saline
springs are found here.
Macon County, Aa., c. h. at Tuskegee. Bounded
N. by Tallapoosa and Chambers, E. by Russell,
S. by Barbour and Pike, and W. by Montgomery
co. Watered by Tallapoosa River and branches,
and by branches of Chattahoochee and Choctaw-