tucket Rivers, which unite in the S. part of the
town. The soil is a gravelly and sandy loam,
with some alluvial meadow. This is an excellent
Lisbon, Me., Lincoln co. On the E. side of
the Androscoggin, 6 miles below Lewiston Ealls.
There are also falls here, called the Five Miles
Ealls. There are some manufactures of cotton
and wool, and many saw mills. 30 miles S.
S. E. from Augusta.
Lisbon, N. H., Grafton co., is watered by Amo-
noosuck River and several smaller streams. Here
are several ponds ; the most noted is called Mink,
and affords mill sites at its outlet. The meadows
on Amonoosuck are generally very productive;
the plain land has a light, thin soil, requiring con-
siderable manure to make it productive; and the
uplands have a strong, good soil, which affords
many good farms. Blueberry Mountain is the
principal elevation. Large quantities of iron ore
and of limestone are found here. Franconia
Iron Works receive their supply of ore from this
town. This town was called Concord until
1824. First settlers: Lisbon was granted, in
1763, to Joseph Burt and others. 20 miles N. E.
from Haverhill, and 95 N. W. from Concord.
Lisbon, N. Y., St. Lawrence co. Bounded on
the N. W. by the St. Lawrence River; and wa-
tered by Grass River and several small streams.
Surface undulating; soil fertile and heavily tim-
bered. Isle au Gallope, lying in the St. Law-
rence, belongs to this town. . 10 miles N. W.
from Canton, and 211 from Albany.
Lisle, N. Y., Broome co. Watered by Tiough-
nioga River and some of its branches. Surface
undulating; soil well adapted for grazing. 18
miles N. from Binghampton, and 140 S. of W.
Litchfield County, Ct., c. h. at Litchfield.
This is the largest and most elevated county in
the state. The surface is hilly, and in some
parts mountainous; the soil is chiefly a gravelly
loam, under good cultivation, and very produc-
tive of butter, cheese, beef, and pork. It abounds
in iron ore, which is extensively manufactured.
This county is watered by numerous ponds, by
the beautiful Housatonic, and by many rivers
rising in the high grounds. The streams give a
valuable water power, and flourishing manufac-
turing establishments are found in almost every
town. Litchfield county was incorporated in
1751. It is bounded N. by Berkshire co., Ms., E.
by Hartford and New Haven counties, S. by the
counties of New Haven and Fairfield, and W. by
the state of New York.
Litchfield, Ct., c. h. Litchfield co. This
town, the Indian Bantam, is elevated, and its
surface presents a diversity of hills and valleys.
Bantam was first settled in 1720, and incorpora-
ted by its present name in 1734. The soil is
a gravelly loam, deep, strong, and admirably
adapted for grazing. Great Pond is a beautiful
sheet of water; it comprises an area of 900 acres,
and is the largest pond in the state. The wa-
ters of the Naugatuck, Shepung, and Bantam
give the town a good water power.
Litchfield village, on Litchfield Hill,'' is a
delightful place. It is situated on an elevated
plain, surrounded by interesting scenery, and
affords extensive prospects. In the W. part of
the town, Mount Tom rears a front of 700 feet
above the Naugatuck, presenting a panoramic
landscape of great beauty and vast extent. Near
this town is a mineral spring which is saturated
with iron and sulphur.'' A law school of great
respectability was established in this town, by
the Hon. Tapping Reeve, in 1784. 30 miles W.
Litchfield, Ky., c. h. Grayson co. 109 miles
S. W. by W. from Frankfort.
Litchfield, Me., Kennebec co. A good farming
township. 16 miles S. S. W. from Augusta.
Litchfield, N. H., Hillsboro' co., is a small, fer-
tile township on the E. bank of Merrimae River.
It has an excellent soil. There are 2 ferries —
Thornton's, on the post road from Amherst to
Portsmouth, and Read's, 3 miles above. This
town was originally known by the Indian name
of Natticott, and by the English one of Brenson's
Farm. 8 miles E. from Amherst, and 30 S. by E.
from Concord. The Concord Railroad passes
on the opposite bank of the river, where there is
Litchfield, N. Y., Herkimer co. Drained by
one of the head branches of the Unadilla, and
several small tributaries of the Mohawk River.
Surface hilly; soil calcareous loam. 10 miles
S. W. from Herkimer, and 83 N. W. from Albany.
Litchfield, Pa., Bradford co. Surface hilly, and
drained by branches of Wepassining Creek; soil
gravelly loam. 156 miles N. from Harrisburg.
Little Compton, R. 1., Newport co. This very
pleasant town, the Indian Seaconnet, lies on the
ocean, at the eastern entrance into Narraganset
Bay. The soil of the town is uncommonly fertile.
Seaconnet Rocks, at the south-eastern extremity
of the town, where a breakwater has been erected
by government, are well known to sailors, and
memorable as the place where a treaty was made
between the English and the queen of the power-
ful Seaconnet tribe in 1674. That tribe is now
extinct. Seaconnet Rocks are their only monu-
ment. Little Compton is becoming celebrated
as a place of resort, in summer months, for sea
air and bathing, and very justly so, for very few
parts of our coast exhibit a more interesting
location. 9 miles E. by N. from Newport.
Little Beaver, Pa., Beaver co. A branch of
Little Beaver Creek waters this town. Surface
undulating; soil rich calcareous loam.
Little Falls, N. J., Passaic co. The Passaic
River has a fall of 33 feet at this place, affording
great hydraulic power. The Morris Canal passes
here. 79 miles N. E. by E. from Trenton.
Little Rock, As. Capital of the state, and seat
of justice of Pulaski co. On the S. side of the
Arkansas River, about 150 miles from its mouth,
where it enters the Mississippi. The river is
navigable for steamboats to this place at all
stages of the water. The town is built upon a
high bluff, from 150 to 200 feet above the river.
It is said to be the first place above the mouth
of the river in which rocks are found. It is laid
out upon a regular plan, and contains the state
house, court house, jail, and other public offices
for the state and county, a United States arsenal,
a United States land office, a penitentiary, and
churches of all the principal denominations.
This place was laid out and settled in 1820.
Littleton, N. H., Grafton co. Littleton extends
on the Connecticut River about 14 miles. There
are 3 bridges over the river. The beautiful Con-
necticut, in passing down the rapids called Fif-
teen Mile Falls, extending the whole length of
Littleton, runs in foaming waves for miles to-
gether, which renders it impossible to ascend or