almost every variety of American shrubbery and
forest trees. The whole estate consists of 500 or
600 acres of the best land in Kentucky, upon
which its distinguished proprietor, as a recreation
amidst the cares of public life, bestowed much skil-
ful and successful husbandry.
In the year 1775, a party of hunters, while
temporarily encamped on one of the branches of
the Elkhorn, received intelligence of the first
blood shed in the war of the revolution, at the
battle of Lexington. As expressive of their deep
interest in this event, they gave this name, ever
after to be memorable in their country's history, to
the place of their encampment. Upon this spot
has arisen one of the most beautiful cities west of
the Alleghany Mountains. The settlement com-
menced about four years later, by the erection of
a block house, and three rows of cabins, the two
outer serving as the walls of the fortification. It
was first incorporated by Virginia, in 1782. It
received its charter as a city from the legislature
of Kentucky, in 1831. A railroad, by way of
Frankfort, connects Lexington with Louisville,
on the Ohio River, thus establishing an easy com-
munication with the great channels of business
and travel in the west. Several fine McAdam-
ized roads diverge from this city towards different
sections of the state.
In 1798, 9 years before Fulton's experiment
upon the Hudson, a Mr. West, an ingenious me-
chanic of Lexington, having constructed a steam-
boat upon a small scale, tried it in the presence
of hundreds of persons, upon the Town Fork of
the Elkhorn, which had been dammed up for the
purpose; when it is said to have moved through
the water with great velocity.'' This is believed
by many to have been the first successful illus-
tration of the application of steam to navigation.
Several of the identical parts of Mr. West's min-
iature engine are now to be seen in the museum
of the Adelphi Society, in the Transylvania Uni-
Lexington, Ms., Middlesex co., was formerly a
part of Cambridge, and is watered by several
branches of the Shawsheen River. The surface
is varied by hills and valleys, and the soil is ren-
dered productive by the industry and skill of its
proprietors. There is considerable woodland in
the town, and extensive meadows. Lexington
will ever be an interesting place, as here the first
blood was shed in the cause of American inde-
pendence. A monument is erected on the village
green, and on the site of the battle. 11 miles by
railroad N. W. from Boston, and 15 S. S. E. from
Lexington, Mi., c. h. Holmes co. On the N.
side of a branch of Yazoo River. 62 miles N.
Lexington, Mo., c. h. Lafayette co. 1 mile S.
from the Missouri River, and 132 W. N. W. from
Lexington, N. C., c. h. Davidson co. It is on
the W. side of Abbott's Creek, a branch of Yad-
kin River. 117 miles W. from Raleigh.
Lexington, N. Y., Greene co. Watered by Scho-
harie Creek and some of its head branches. The
surface is broken by the Catskill range of moun-
tains. 28 miles W. from Catskill, and 50 S. W.
Lexington District, S. C., c. h. at Lexington.
Bounded N. and E. by Broad and Congaree Riv-
ers, separating it from Fairfield and Richland
districts, S. by Orangeburg district, and W. by
Edgefield and Newberry districts. Drained by
Saluda, which unites with Broad River on the
W. border of this district to form the Congaree.
The E. fork of Edisto River also runs on its S.
Lexington, S. C., c. h. Lexington district. On
a small branch of Saluda River. 12 miles W.
Lexington, Va., Rockbridge co. 146 miles W.
of Richmond, on an elevated bank of the W. side
of North River, the seat of Washington College,
and of the Virginia Military Institute. See Col-
Leyden, Ms., Franklin co., is a mountainous
township, on the line of the state. It was for-
merly a part of Bernardston. Two branches of
Deerfield River, Green River, and Budington
Creek pass through the town, on which are good
sites for mills. There is some good arable land
in the town, but the greater part is fit only for
grazing. On Green River is a narrow, rocky pas-
sage, called the Glen,'' a curious place, much
admired for its romantic scenery. Distances, 9
miles N. by W. from Greenfield, and about 100
W. N. W. from Boston.
Leyden, N. Y., Lewis co. Black and Moose
Rivers water this town, the surface of which is
hilly, and the soil productive. 15 miles S. from
Martinsburg, and 116 N. W. from Albany.
Liberty County, Ga., c. h. at Hinesville. Bound-
ed N. and N. E. by Bryan co., S. E. by the Atlan-
tic Ocean, S. by McIntosh co. and the Alatamaha
River, separating it from Wayne co., and W. by
Tatnall co. Surface level, and watered by Little
Cannonchee River and Taylor's Creek.
Liberty, la., c. h. Union co. On the E. side of
Silver Creek. 72 miles E. by S. from Indian-
Liberty, Me., Waldo co. 29 miles E. from Au-
gusta, and 18 W. S. W. from Bangor.
Liberty, Mi., c. h. Amite co. On the E. side of
the W. fork of Amite River. 101 miles S. S.
W. from Jackson.
Liberty, Mo., c. h. Clay co. 159 miles W. N.
W. from Jefferson City.
Liberty, N. Y., Sullivan co. Watered by the
Callicoon and other small tributaries of the Del-
aware River, which bounds this town on the S.
W. Surface mountainous ; soil mostly gravelly
loam. 15 miles N. W. from Monticello, and 128
S. W. from Albany.
Liberty, Pa., Columbia co. Watered by Chil-
isquaque and Mahoning Creeks. Surface mostly
level; soil clay.
Liberty, Pa., Tioga co. The surface of this
town is hilly; soil clay and gravel. 123 miles
N. by W. from Harrisburg.
Liberty County, Ts., c. h. at Liberty. In the S.
E. angle of the state. On Galveston Bay and
both banks of the Trinity.
Liberty, Va., c. h. Bedford co. On a branch of
Otter River. W. by S. from Richmond 142 miles.
Licking County, O., c. h.at Newark. Bounded
N. by Knox, E. by Muskingum, S. by Perry and
Fairfield, and W. by Franklin and Delaware
counties The soil is fertile, and is finely watered
by Licking Creek, which runs through every
part of the county. Emigrants from Pennsyl-
vania and Virginia settled here in 1800, and they
were soon followed by people from New England.
Large beds of iron ore are found here.
Ligonier, Pa., Westmoreland co. This town
lies in a valley watered by Loyahanna Creek and