Ledyard, Ct.. New London co. This town was
taken from Groton in 1836. It was formerly-
called North Groton. There is a pretty village,
of some thirty houses, at Gale's Ferry, on the
Thames. This town was named in honor of two
brothers, natives of Groton — Colonel Ledyard,
the brave defender of Groton Heights, in 1781,
and John Ledyard, the celebrated traveller, who
died at Cairo, in Egypt, in 1789, aged 38. John
Ledyard was probably as distinguished a travel-
ler as can be found on record. 7 miles N. by E.
from New London.
Ledyard, N. Y., Cayuga co. Bounded on the
W. by Cayuga Lake, and watered by several
small streams flowing into it. Surface rolling;
soil fertile clay loam and marl. 12 miles S. W.
from Auburn, and 168 W. from Albany.
Lee County, Ga., c. h. at Starkville. Bounded
N. by Sumpter co., E. by Dooly, S. by Irwin and
Baker, and W. by Randolph co. Flint River and
branches water this county.
Lee County, Is., c. h. at Dixon. Bounded N.
by Ogle co., E. by De Kalb, S. by Lasalle and
Bureau, and W. by Whitesides. Drained by
Rock, Green, and Bureau Rivers.
Lee County, Iowa. c. h. at Fort Madison. In-
corporated in 1837. Bounded N. by Henry and
Des Moines counties, E. and S. E. by the Mis-
sissippi River, separating it from Illinois, S. W.
by Des Moines River, separating it from Missouri,
and W. by Van Buren co. Skunk River runs
on its N. E. border, and Sugar, Halfbreed, and
Lost Creeks drain the interior. Surface undulat-
ing ; soil productive.
Lee, Me., Penobscot co. It lies 120 miles N. E.
Lee, Ms., Berkshire co., was settled by Mr.
Isaac Davis, in 1760. The town was named for
General Lee, of the revolutionary army. It pre-
sents a diversified appearance, and forms part
of the intervale between the Taconic and Green
Mountain ranges. The Green Mountain range
runs partly within the eastern limits of the town;
these mountains are for the most part of gentle
acclivity, and are cultivated, in some places, quite
to their summits. From the base of these moun-
tains the surface is rather uneven, occasionally
rising into hills of considerable height, but gen-
erally descending, until it reaches the plain upon
the banks of the Housatonic. At the N. E.
corner of the town enters the Housatonic, and it
passes out at the S. W. corner, dividing the town
into two nearly equal parts. It receives, in its
passage, the waters of Washington Mountain,
Scott's Pond, Greenwater Pond, and Goose Pond,
also, on the summit of the mountain, the waters
of Hop Brook, as well as several other streams
of less size. On each side of the Housatonic are
extensive plains of rich alluvial land. The soil
of the uplands is a loam, interspersed with gravel
and stones. Limestone and white and clouded
marble are found here. This is one of the most
flourishing towns in the county or state; its vil-
lages are neat and handsome. 10 miles S. from
Lee, N. H., Stafford co. In the N. part of this
town lies Wheelwright's Pond, containing about
165 acres, and forming the principal source of
Oyster River. This pond is memorable for the
battle which was fought near it, in 1690, between
a scouting party of Indians and two companies
of rangers, under Captains Floyd and Wiswall.
Lamprey, Little, North, and Oyster Rivers water
this town. 31 miles E. S. E. from Concord, and
12 S. W. from Dover.
Lee, N. Y., Oneida co. Drained by Canada
and Fish Creeks. Surface undulating; soil
sandy loam and clay. 22 miles N. W. from
Utica, and 115 from Albany.
Lee County, Ya., c. h. at Jonesville. Bounded
E. by Russell and Scott counties, S. by Ten-
nessee, and W. and N. by Kentucky. This coun-
ty is situated in the valley between Cumberland
and Powell's Mountains, and is drained by Pow-
ell's River and branches.
Leeds, Me., Kennebec co. This is a large and
flourishing agricultural town, finely watered by a
large and beautiful pond. The outlet of this
pond into the Androscoggin gives the town a
good water power, for saw mills and other manu-
factories. The villages in Leeds are very neat
and pleasant. The soil is fertile and productive.
Leeds was incorporated in 1802. It lies 30 miles
W. S. W. from Augusta.
Leesburg, Ya., c. h. Loudon co. On an ele-
vated plain at the base of Kittoctan Mountains.
miles N. from the Potomac River, and 153 N.
Lehigh County, Pa., c. h. at Allentown. Bound-
ed N. E. by the Lehigh River, separating it from
Northampton co., S. E. by Bucks co., S. W. by
Berks, and N. W. by Carbon. It lies mostly in
the valley between South and Blue or Kittany
Mountains. Surface diversified, and watered by
branches of the Lehigh River ; soil very fertile in
Lehigh, Pa., Northampton co. Bounded W.
by the Lehigh River, and drained by Indian
Creek. In the N. W. corner of this town is the
Lehigh Water Gap. Surface hilly in parts; soil
calcareous loam and gravel.
Lehigh Gap, Pa., Carbon co. At the passage
of Lehigh River through Blue Mountain. 104
miles E. N. E. from Harrisburg. The chasm
through which the river here passes is 1200 feet
deep, and the scenery of the most romantic de-
LehightQn, Pa., Carbon co. On an elevated
table land, on the W. bank of Lehigh River, half
a mile above Mahoning Creek, and 96 miles N.
E. by E. from Harrisburg, at the point of junc-
tion of the Lehigh Canal with the railroad lead-
ing to the coal miles. The old Moravian vil-
lage of Gnadenhutten stood about three quarters
of a mile from this place, near the mouth of
the Mahoning Creek, and an old church is still
standing on the spot.
Lehman, Pa., Luzerne co. Watered by Har-
vey's, Bowman's, and Mahoopeny Creeks, all
fine mill streams, and by Lehman's Lake, and
its outlet Lehman's Creek. Surface uneven. 121
miles N. N. W. from Harrisburg.
Leicester, Ms., Worcester co., was first settled
about the year 1713. It was at first called Straw-
berry Hill. Its Indian name -was Towtaid. This
town is situated on the height of land between
the ocean and Connecticut River, and is famed
for its hills. These hills are of a strong, deep
soil, rather cold and wet, but well adapted to the
cultivation of the various grains, grasses, and
fruits common to the climate. The most noted
elevations are Strawberry, Indian, Bald, Moose,
and Cary's Hills, and Mount Pleasant. The
town is watered by springs, rivulets, and several
large brooks, which take their rise in this town,
and empty into the Chicopee, the Quinebaug, and