by Pigeon, Fawn, and Little Elkhart Rivers,
and several small lakes. Surface undulating,
consisting of prairies on the N.; the soil is fertile.
La Grange, la., c. h. La Grange co.
La Grange, Me., Penobscot co. This town
is watered by Birch Stream and its branches.
95 miles N. E. from Augusta.
La Grange, N. Y., Dutchess co. Sprout and
Wappinger's Creeks water this town, the surface
of,which is somewhat hilly and uneven, and the
soil productive gravelly loam. 7 miles E. from
Poughkeepsie, and 80 S. from Albany.
Lake County, Is., c. h. at Little Fort. Bounded
N. by Wisconsin, E. by Lake Michigan, S. by
Cook, and W. by McHenry co. Watered by
Des Plaines and Fox Rivers. Surface undu-
lating, being mostly prairie land.
Lake County, la., c. h. at Crown Point. Bounded
N. by Lake Michigan, E. by Porter co., S. by
the Kankakee River, separating it from Jasper
co., and W. by Illinois. Drained by Deep
River and Cedar and Eagle Creeks. Surface
mostly level, and in parts marshy; along the
lake is a ridge of bluffs and sand hills.
Lake County, O., c. h. at Painesville. N. E.
part of the state. Has Lake Erie on the N. W.
Watered by Grand and Chagrin Rivers.
Lake Pleasant, N. Y., c. h. Hamilton co. This
is a large township, about 50 miles in length. It
is watered by Sacandaga and Indian Rivers, and
other branches of the Hudson. It also contains
Lakes Emmons and Pleasant, and Round Lake,
besides several smaller ones. The surface is
greatly diversified, being mostly a wilderness.
72 miles N. W. from Albany.
Lake Providence, La., Carroll parish. The sheet
of water from which this village takes its name
was formerly the bed of the Mississippi River,
and its outlet, flowing to the S., now forms Tensas
River. 366 miles N. N. W. from New Orleans.
Lamar, Pa., Clinton co. Watered by Big
Fishing and Cedar Creeks. Surface mountain-
ous ; soil calcareous loam in the valleys.
Lamar County, Ts. In the N. E. angle of the
state, bordering on Arkansas.
Lamoille County, Vt., c. h. at Hydepark. This
county was established in 1836. It is bounded
N. by Franklin and Orleans counties, E. by Or-
leans and Caledonia counties, S. by Washing-
ton co., and W. by Chittenden and a part of
Franklin counties. This county lies on the
Green Mountain Range, and is the source of
many streams. The River Lamoille passes nearly
through its centre, and, with its tributaries, gives
the county a great hydraulic power. The eleva-
tion of the county renders the soil more adapted
for grazing than for tillage; yet there are large
tracts of excellent meadow bordering its streams.
Lampeter, Pa., Lancaster co. Bounded S. E.
by Pecquea Creek, N. W. by Conestoga River,
and drained by Mill Creek, a branch of Cones-
Lancaster, Io., c. h. Keokuck co.
Lancaster, Ky., c. H. Garrard co. Located a
few miles E. from Dick's River, and 57 miles S.
by E. from Frankfort.
Lancaster, Mo., c. h. Schuyler co.
Lancaster, Ms., Worcester co. This is the
Weshakim, or Washoway, of the Indians, and is
the oldest town in the county. Lancaster lies
on both sides of Nashua River, and has a re-
markably fine alluvial soil, in a high state of
cultivation. The village is very beautiful; it is
neatly built on an alluvial plain, shaded by elms,
surrounded by hills, and watered by a large and
placid stream. The N. and S. branches of the
Nashua meet near the centre of the town, and
produce a valuable water power. George Hill,
on the westerly side of the town, comprises some
good farms. Turner's, Spectacle, Fort, Sandy,
and other ponds, add much to the scenery of
this delightful town. 34 miles W. N. W. from
Boston, and 25 S. W. from Lowell. A railroad
passes in the neighborhood.
Lancaster, N. H., c. h. Coos co. On the south-
eastern bank of Connecticut River, which forms
and washes its N. W. boundary, a distance of ten
miles. Besides this the town is watered by Is-
rael's River, and several brooks. Across this
river a bridge and several dams are thrown,
forming a valuable water power. There are
several ponds; the largest is called Martin
Meadow Pond, from Martin, a hunter. This
communicates with Little Pond. Lancaster is
situated near lofty mountains, but is not itself
mountainous. There are 3 hills in the S.
part, called Martin Meadow Hills. The soil
along the Connecticut is alluvial, the meadows
extending back nearly three fourths of a mile.
The village lies on a street extending from the
bridge across Israel's River northwardly. It is
pleasant, and is the site of considerable trade.
First settlers, Captain David Page, Emmons
Stockwell, and Edward Bucknam, in 1763. 95
miles N. from Concord, and about 40 N. E. from
Lancaster, N. Y., Erie co. Seneca, Ellicott's,
and Cayuga Creeks water this town. The sur-
face is undulating; soil fertile, yielding large
crops of grass and grain. 12 miles E. from Buf-
falo, and 272 W. from Albany.
Lancaster, 0., c. h. Fairfield co. This town was
laid out in 1800. It is a thriving place, pleasant-
ly located near the source of Hocking River, in a
fertile valley, surrounded by very valuable land.
This town is connected with the Ohio Canal by the
Lancaster Canal, 8 miles distant: it is also con-
nected with it by the Hocking Canal. 34 miles N.
E. from Chillicothe, and 28 S. E. from Columbus.
Lancaster County, Pa., c. h. at Lancaster. It is
bounded N. by Dauphin, Lebanon, and Berks
counties, S. E. by Chester co., and S. W. by the
Susquehanna River, separating it from York co.
This was the 4th county formed in the state,
and is admirably located, the Susquehanna Riv-
er running more than 40 miles on its border. It
is also drained by Conestoga, Pecquea, Cone-
wago, and other creeks, affording fine water
power. Iron ore and sulphate of magnesia, or
epsom salts, are the principal minerals.
Lancaster, Pa. City, and seat of justice for
Lancaster co. Situated near the right bank of
the Conestoga Creek, 12 miles E. of where it
empties into the Susquehanna, at Columbia. It
is 70 miles W. from Philadelphia, and 37 miles
S. E. from Harrisburg, the capital of the state.
Population in 1820, 6663; in 1830, 7704; in
1840, 8417 ; in 1850, 12,382.
This place was for many years the seat of
government of Pennsylvania, until the capital
was removed to Harrisburg, in 1812. It was first
chartered as a borough in 1754, and incorpo-
rated as a city in 1818. It is located on elevated
ground, about a mile and a half W. of the creek,
and is handsomely laid out with broad streets,
crossing each other at right angles, which are