lies 5 miles W. from Providence, from which
it was taken in 1759. It is pleasantly varie-
gated by hills and vales, with a soil adapted
to the culture of corn and barley, and particu-
larly to all Sorts of vegetables and fruits, of
which large quantities are annually sent to Prov-
idence market. The quarries of freestone in
Johnston are valuable; they supply the wants,
not only of the city and immediate vicinity, but
distant places, with that useful material. The
Wonasquatucket and Pochasset. Rivers, with their
tributary streams, give this town a good hydraulic
power. Beautiful manufacturing villages are scat-
tered along the banks of these waters, present-
ing to the eye of the traveller the pleasant union
of our agricultural and manufacturing interests.
Johnstown, N. Y., Pulton co. Garoga and Cay-
udutta Creeks water this shire town. The sur-
face is hilly; soil argillaceous loam. 45 miles
N. W. from Albany.
Johnstown, Pa., Conemaugh, Cambria co. At
the entrance of Stony Creek into Little Cone-
maugh River. 150 miles W. from Harrisburg.
This is the western terminus of the Portage Rail-
road, running to Hollidaysburg. It connects
here with the W. division of the Pennsylvania
Canal, which has a large basin in the centre of
Jones County, Ga., c. h. at Clinton. Bounded
N. by Jasper and Putnam counties, E. by Bald-
win and "Wilkinson, S. by Twiggs, and W. by
Bibb and Monroe. The Ockmulgee River runs
on its W. border. Drained by Cedar Creek and
its branches, a tributary of the Oconee River, and
Palling and Walnut Creeks, tributaries of the
Jones County, Io., c. h. at Edinburg. Bounded
N. by Delaware and Dubuque counties, E. by
Jackson, S. by Cedar, and W. by Linn. Wa-
tered by Wapsipinecon and Makoqueta Rivers
and branches. Surface slightly undulating, com-
prising extensive prairies ; soil fertile.
Jones County, Mi., c. h. at Ellisville. Bound-
ed N. by Smith and Jasper counties, E. by
Wayne, S. by Perry, and W. by Covington. Wa-
tered by branches of Leaf River.
Jones County, N. C., c. h. at Trenton. Bounded
N. and E. by Craven co., S. by Carteret and
Onslow, and W. by Duplin and Lenoir counties.
Trent River and its branches water this county.
Surface level, and marshy in many parts.
Jonesboro', Is., c. h. Union co.
Jonesboro', Me., Washington co. This town
has Chandler's River and the head of English-
man's Bay on the E., Jonesport on the S., and
the town of Addison on the W. Incorporated
1809. It lies 134 miles E. by N. from Augusta,
and 12 S. W. from Machias.
Jonesboro', Te., c. h. Washington co. On Little
Limestone Creek, 1 mile from its source, and 283
miles E. from Nashville.
Jonesport, Me., Washington co., includes the
promontory and several islands on the W. side of
Englishman's Bay. It has an excellent harbor.
138 miles E. by N. from Augusta, and 16 S. W.
Jonesville, Mn., Hillsdale co. On the E. bank
of St. Joseph River, of Lake Michigan. 92 miles
W. S. W. from Detroit. The Michigan Southern
Railroad passes through it.
Jonesville, Ya., c. h. Lee co. On a branch of
Powell's River. 384 miles W. by S. from Rich-
Jordan's Saline, Ts., c. h. Yanzant co.
Juniata County, Pa., c. h. at Mifflin. Incorpo-
rated in 1831, and bounded N. by Mifflin and
Union counties, E. and S. by Northumberland
and Perry, and W. by Huntingdon and Mifflin.
Surface hilly and mountainous, and watered by
Juniata River, Licking, and Tuscarora Creeks ;
soil fertile in the valleys.
Juniata, Pa., Perry co. Raccoon, Buffalo, and
Little Buffalo Creeks water this town. Surface
mountainous; soil, in the valleys, slate, gravel,
and calcareous loam. 39 miles W. N. W. from
Junius, N. Y., Seneca co. The surface of this
town is diversified, and the soil very fertile in
some portions. 8 miles N. from Waterloo, and
173 W. by N. from Albany.
Kalamazoo County, Mn., c. h. at Kalamazoo.
Incorporated in 1830, and is bounded N. by Alle-
gan and Barry counties, E. by Calhoun, S. by
St. Joseph, and W. by Van Buren co. Surface
level, or slightly uneven, and drained by Kalama-
zoo and Portage River, and Pour Mile, Bear, and
Gull Creeks ; soil rich black loam.
Kalamazoo, Mn., shire town of Kalamazoo co.
143 miles W. from Detroit, and about 132 E. by
S. from Lansing, the capital of the state. It is a
flourishing place, on the great route of the Michi-
gan Central Railroad, between Detroit and Chi-
cago. The village contains a court house, jail, a
branch of the Bank of Michigan, a branch of the
Michigan University, the Huron Literary Insti-
tute, and churches of several denominations. An
active business is done here, by one flouring mill,
several saw mills, distilleries, and tanneries, and
by a considerable number of mercantile estab-
Kalida, 0., c. h. Putnam co.
Kanawha County, Va., c. h. at Kanawha Court
House, otherwise called Charleston. Bounded N.
by Jackson and Lewis counties, E. by Braxton
and Nicholas, S. by Payette and Logan, and W.
by Cabell and Mason. Watered by Kanawha
River and its branches, Elk and Coal Rivers,
and numerous creeks. This county contains
valuable saline springs and large quantities of
Kanawha,Ya., c. h. Kanawha co., otherwise called
Charleston. On the N. bank of Great Kanawha
River, at its junction with Elk River. 313 miles
W. N. W. from Richmond. The river is here 300
yards wide and 20 feet deep, and is navigable
for steamboats to this place. There are large
steam flouring mills and other mills here.
Kanawha Saline, Ya., Kanawha co. On the
N. W. side of Kanawha River. 307 miles W. N.
W. from Richmond. This village is connected
with the salt trade in the vicinity.
Kane County, Is., c. h. at Geneva. Pormed from
De Kalb, in 1836. Bounded N. by McHenry CA,
E. by Cook and Du Page, S. by Kendall, and
W. by De Kalb. Fox River and its branches
afford hydraulic power.
Kanesville, Io., c. h. Potawatomie co. Found-
ed by the Mormons after their expulsion from
Illinois, and the point from which they despatch
their emigrant trains to the Great Salt Lake
valley. It was formerly the seat of a Catholic
Karthaus, Pa., Clearfield co. On the N. bank
of the W. fork of Susquehanna River. 114 miles
N. W. from Harrisburg. Salt springs in the