Jacksboro1, Te., c. h Campbell co.
Jackson County, Aa., c. h. at Bellefonte. Bound-
ed N. by Tennessee, E. by De Kalb co., S. by
Marshall, and W. by Madison. Tennessee River
flows near its E. and on its S. border, and Flint
River on its S. W. It is also watered by Rac-
coon Creek and'Faint Rock Creek and branches.
Jackson County, As., c. h. at Elizabeth. Bound-
ed N. by Lawrence, E. by Poinsett, S. by St.
Francis co., and W. by White and Big Black
Rivers, separating it from White and Independ-
ence counties. Cache River runs nearly through
the centre of this county.
Jackson County, Fa., c. h. at Marianna. Bound-
ed N. by Alabama, E. by the Chattahoochee and
Appalachicola Rivers, separating it from Georgia
and Gadsden co., S. by Washington co., and W.
by the Choctawhatchee River, separating it from
Walton co. Drained by Spring, Holmes, and
Sandy Creeks. Surface somewhat uneven on the
W., but elsewhere level; soil rich on the margins
of the streams, and of excellent quality in some
Jackson County, Ga., c. h. at Jefferson. Bounded
N. E. by Madison co., S. E. by Clarke, S. W.
by Gwinnett, and N. W. by Hall. Branches of
Oconee and Appalachee Rivers traverse its surface.
Jackson, Ga., c. h. Butts co. A few miles W.
from Ockmulgee River, and 67 miles W. from
Jackson County, Is., c. h. at Brownsville. In-
corporated in 1816, and bounded N. by Perry, E.
by Franklin and Williamson, S. by Union co.,
and W. by the Mississippi River, separating it
from Missouri, and by Randolph co. Drained
by Muddy River and its branches, on the bor-
der of which, near Brownsville, salt is found.
The N. E. portions are partly prairie land.
Jackson County, la., c. h. at Brownstown. In-
corporated in 1815, and bounded N. by Brown
and Bartholomew counties, E. by Jennings, S. by
Washington, and W. by Lawrence co. Surface
undulating, and drained by Muscatauck River
and the Driftwood Fork of White River, and Salt
and White Creeks. Soil fertile.
Jackson County, Io., c. h. at Bellevue. Bounded
N. by Dubuque co., E. by the Mississippi River,
S. by Clinton, and W. by Jones co. The Maco-
quetais River and branches drain the surface,
which is rich in mineral products, the chief of
which are iron, tin, copper, zinc, gypsum, and
porcelain clay. The water in this county is .re-
markably pure, and the soil very fertile.
Jackson, Ky., c. h. Breathitt co.
Jackson Parish, La. Northern central. On
the height of land between the Wachita and
Jackson, La., c. h. East Feliciana parish. On the
E. side of Thompson's Creek, and is the seat of
Louisiana College. 124 miles N. W. from New
Jackson, Me., Waldo co. An interior township
of good land. 49 miles N. E. from Augusta.
Jackson County, Mn., c. h. at Jackson. This
county was incorporated in 1832, hnd is bounded
N. by Eaton and Ingham counties, E. by Wash-
tenaw, S. by Lenawee and Hillsdale, and W. by
Calhoun co. Grand River ayd branches, Kala-
mazoo and Raisin Rivers, and Portage, Goose,
and Sandstone Creeks, besides several small
lakes, water the surface, which is chiefly undu-
lating. Limestone abounds here. Soil fertile.
Jackson, Mn., c. h. Jackson co. On Grand
River, which affords a good hydraulic power.
79 miles W. from Detroit.
Jackson County, Mi., c. h. at Jackson. Bounded
N. by Greene co., E. by Alabama, S. by the Gulf
of Mexico, and W. by Harrison and Perry coun-
ties. It is well watered by the Pascagoula River
and branches, but the soil is sterile, producing
little but pine trees and cotton.
Jackson, Mi., capital of the state, and seat of
justice of Hinds co. It stands on the W. side
of Pearl River, which is navigable for boats to
this place It is about 45 miles E. of Vicksburg,
on the Mississippi River, with which point it is
connected by a railroad. The town is regularly
laid out, upon a level spot about half a mile square,
and distant about a quarter of a mile from the
river. The State House is an elegant structure,
which is said to have cost $600,000. Besides
this the State Penitentiary, a large and hand-
some building, the Governor's House, the United
States land office, the Court House, the Method-
ist and Baptist Churches, are public buildings
which are ornamental to the place. A railroad
extends E. to Brandon 14 miles.
Jackson County, Mo., c. h. at Independence.
Bounded N. by the Missouri River, separating it
from Clay co., E. by Lafayette and Johnson, S.
by Van Buren co., and W. by Indian territory.
Surface undulating, and drained by Big and Lit-
tle Blue Rivers, and Fire Prairie Creek; soil
Jackson, Mo., c. h. Cape Girardeau co. 10 miles
W. from Mississippi River, on a branch of White-
Jackson, N. C., c. h. Northampton co. 108 miles
N. E. from Raleigh.
Jackson, N. H., Coos co. On the E. side of the
White Mountains. The surface is uneven, but
the soil rich and productive. Ellis's River is the
principal stream. The principal elevations are
Black, Baldface, and Thorn Mountains. Jack-
son was formerly called Adams. Excellent tin
ore is found in this town. First settler, Benja-
min Copp, in 1779. 90 miles N. E. from Concord,
and 40 S. E. from Lancaster.
Jackson, N. Y., Washington co. The surface
of this town is somewhat hilly ; soil clay and
sandy loam. 5 miles S. from Salem, and 42
N. E. from Albany.
Jackson County, 0., c. h. at Jackson. Hock-
ing and Athens bound it on the N., Athens and
Gallier on the E., Lawrence and Scioto on the
S., and Pike and Ross counties on the W. It
was established in February, 1816. The land is
well adapted for farming, although it is hilly and
uneven. Little Raccoon, Little Scioto, Salt and
Symmes Creek, are the most important streams.
Millstone grit and stone coal are found in great
plenty. Iron ore is also found in some parts.
Jackson, O., c. h. Jackson co. 63 miles S. S.
E. from Columbus, and 28 S. E. from Chillicothe.
Jackson, Pa., Cambria co. Surface undulating;
soil calcareous loam and clay.
Jackson, Pa., Columbia co. Watered by branches
of Fishing Creek.
Jackson, Pa., Dauphin co. Drained by Pow-
ell's and Armstrong's Creeks, branches of the
Susquehanna River. Surface diversified with
hills and valleys, having Berry Mountain on the
N., and Peter's on the S.; soil gravelly on the
hills, and sandy loam in the valleys.
Jackson, Pa., Lebanon co. Tulpehocken and