Hodgdon, Me., Aroostook co. Incorporated 1832.
179 miles from Augusta.
Holden, Me., Oxford co. A new town. Taken
from Brewer in 1852.
Holden, Ms., Worcester co., was formerly a
part of Worcester, and was called North Worces-
ter until 1740. The surface of this town is
broken by hills ; the soil is very good, producing
a variety of hard wood and some pine. There
are several beautiful ponds in the town, some of
which are the sources of Quinepoxet Biver, and
which, united, form the S. branch of the Nashua.
These waters, with branches of the Blackstone,
give the town a good hydraulic power. 6 miles
N. N. W. from Worcester, and 50 from Boston.
Holderness, N. H., Grafton co. The soil is
hard, and not easily cultivated, but when subdued
is quite productive. The Pemigewasset and
Squam Eivers, and several other streams, fertilize
the soil. There are three ponds here ; also beau-
tiful scenery and fine fishing. Eirst settler,
William Piper, in 1763. 6 miles N. E. from
Plymouth. The Concord and Montreal Railroad
passes through the town. 36 miles from Concord.
Holland, Ms., Hampden co. This is a small,
mountainous, well-watered town, and was for-
merly a part of Brimfield. The Quinebaug
Biver passes nearly through the centre of the
town, and receives the waters of Mill and Stevens's
Brooks. Gould and Holland Ponds are hand-
some sheets of water, and add much to the high-
land scenery of the town. The soil is strong.
23 miles E. by S. from Springfield, and 70S. W.
by W. from Boston.
Holland, N. Y., Erie co. Drained by Cazenove
and Seneca Creeks. The surface is elevated;
soil sandy loam and moist clay. 24 miles S. E.
from Buffalo, and 281 W. from Albany.
Holley, N. Y., Orleans co. The Erie Canal
passes over Sandy Creek at this place, by means
of an embankment 75 feet above the bed of the
stream. W. N. W. from Albany 240 miles.
Hollidaysburg, Pa., c. h. Blair co. The termi-
nation of the eastern section of the Pennsylvania
Holland, Vt., Orleans co. This is an excellent
township of land, producing in great abundance
all the varieties common to the climate. There
is a large pond situated in the N. E. part of the
town, and several small ponds. The streams are
small, part flowing N. into Canada, and part S.
into Clyde River. The settlement was com-
menced in 1800, by Edmund Eliot and Joseph
Conal. 18 miles N. E. from Irasburg, and 58
N. E. from Montpelier.
Hollis, Me., York co. This town lies on the
W. bank of Saco Biver, and contains numerous
mill sites. It lies 30 miles N. from York. It is
bounded on the W. by Waterboro', and on the
N. by Limington and Buxton. Quantities of
lumber of various kinds, and wood, annually pass
to market from this place by the Saco River.
Hollis, N. H., Hillsboro' co. Nashua and
Nisitissit Rivers water this town. There are four
ponds, named Elint's, Penichork, Long, and
Rocky Ponds. There is a pleasant village near
the centre of the town. The original name of
Hollis was Nisitissit, its Indian name. It has a
variety of soils. Eirst settler, Captain Peter
Powers, in 1731. 8 miles S. from Amherst, and
38 S. from Concord.
Holliston, Ms., Middlesex co. The surface is
pleasantly diversified; the soil good and well cul-
tivated. A number of small streams give the
town some water power, and Winthrop's Pond
some pleasant scenery. This town was formerly
the -western parish of Sherburne. It was first
settled in 1710, and named, at its incorporation
in 1724, after Thomas Hollis, of London, a patron
of Harvard College. 20 miles S. from Concord,
and 23 S. W. by S. from Boston.
Holmes County, Ea. New.
Holmes County, Mi., c. h. at Lexington. Bound-
ed N. by Carroll co., E. by the Big Black River,
separating it from Attala co., S. by Yazoo co., and
W. by the Yazoo River, separating it from Wash-
Holmes, Mi., c. h. Pike co.
Holmes Hole, Ms., Dukes co. A safe and
spacious harbor on the N. side of Martha's Vine-
yard, in the town of Tisbury, much resorted to by
ships passing between New York and the east-
ward. There is a sufficient depth of water for
vessels of the largest class. S. S. E. from Bos-
ton 89 miles.
Holmes County, 0., c. h. at Millersburg. Wayne
co. bounds it on the N., Stark and Tuscarawas
on the E., Coshocton on the S., and Knox and
Richland on the W. The soil is good. It was
organized in January, 1825, and is watered by
the Killbuck, Lake Eork of Mohican, Paint
Creek, Salt Creek, Martin's Run, Double Eyes
Eork, Honey Run, Casey's Run, Indian Creek,
Rush Run, Shrimlin's Run, Wolf Creek, and
Crab Apple. Iron ore and coal stone abound.
Holmesville, Ga., c. h. Appling co.
Holyoke, Ms., Hampden co. Situated on the
right bank of Connecticut River, 9 miles above
Springfield, and 107 miles W. from Boston.
This flourishing place has been created from
nothing, within a few years past, by the enter-
prise of a number of capitalists, who projected,
and have brought to an advanced stage of its
execution, a magnificent scheme for the founding
of a manufacturing city on the falls in the Con-
necticut at this spot, long known as the Hadley
Ealls.'' The village of South Hadley Falls, in
the town of South Hadley, is on the opposite side
of the river, where some application of this in-
comparable privilege has been in use, for manu-
facturing purposes, for several years. It was not,
however, until 1848, that any thing was done of
all which is now to be seen on the Holyoke side.
Up to that time, this spot, which lay within the
precincts of the rural parish of Ireland, in the
N. part of West Springfield, was one of the
most retired and quiet spots on the banks of the
Connecticut. The Hadley Falls Company, act-
ing under a charter granted by the Massachusetts
legislature, April 28, 1848, with an authorized
capital of $4,000,000, has here developed the most
extensive water power which has ever been
brought into operation in the United States.
This company owns about 1200 acres of land,
and by the erection of a dam 30 feet in height,
and placed at the head of natural rapids, com-
mands a head and fall of about 60 feet within the
distance of three fourths of a mile. The power
which is thus rendered available for manufactur-
ing purposes is estimated to be sufficient to drive
1,250,000 spindles for No. 14 cotton yarn, with
looms and preparatory machinery. So that 56
mills of the first class, each containing 18,500
spindles, may be supplied with land and water
power, besides machine shops and other works.
The dam across the Connecticut River is 1018