Hillsboro', 0., c. h. Highland co. Near the
source of Boeky Fork of Paint Creek, and is
noted for its elevated and healthy situation. 62
miles S. W. from Columbus, and 36 W. by S.
Hillsboro\ Pa., Washington co. 203 miles W.
from Harrisburg. On the national road on the
high land, 1002 feet above the Ohio Eiver at
Hillsdale County, Mn., c. h. at Jonesville. In-
corporated in 1835. Bounded N. by Calhoun
and Jackson counties, E. by Lenawee co., S. by
Ohio, and W. by Branch co. Drained by St.
Joseph Eiver, of Lake Michigan, St. Joseph, a
branch of Maumee Eiver, Hog and Sandy Eivers,
Little St. Joseph, Goose and Tiffin's Creeks, and
the S. branch of the Kalamazoo Eiver. Surface
high and undulating; soil fertile sandy loam.
This county contains iron ore, and sandstone
suitable for grindstones.
Hillsdale, Mn., c. h. Hillsdale co. This village
is on the outlet of St. Joseph, or Baubese Lake,
near the mouth of French Creek, on the Southern
Michigan Eailroad, and 98 miles W. S. W. from
Detroit. It has extensive water power.
Hillsdale, N. Y., Columbia co. Copake and
Ancram Creeks water this town, which is partly
covered by the Taghkanic Mountain. The soil
consists chiefly of clay and gravelly loam. 13
miles E. from Hudson, and 43 S. E. from Albany.
Hilltown, Pa., Bucks co. Watered by branches
of Nishaminy Creek. 100 miles E. from Har-
Hinds County, Mi., c. h. at Eaymond. Bounded
N. by Madison co., E. by Pearl Eiver, separating
it from Franklin co., S. by Copiah, and W. by
Claiborne and Warren counties. The Big Black
Eiver forms the N. W. boundary. Surface level;
soil mostly fertile.
Hinesburg, Yt., Chittenden co. There is in the
N. part of the town a high ridge of rough land,
called Bichard Mountain. The W. part has gen-
erally a level surface, interspersed with small
hillocks. In the eastern part the land is hilly
and broken, containing, however, a good share
of feasible, fertile, and valuable land. The for-
ests consist of hard timber, generally. There
were some beaver meadows, one of which con-
tained between 100 and 200 acres. The princi-
pal streams are Lewis Creek, Laplat Eiver, and
Pond Brook, which afford an abundant water
power. The first inhabitants were a Mr. Isaac
Lawrence and family, from Canaan, Ct. They
came here before the revolutionary war, left
when the war commenced, and returned in 1783.
12 miles S. S. E. from Burlington, and 36 W.
from Montpelier. The Eutland Eailroad passes
through this town.
Hinesville, Ga., c. h. Liberty co. 14 miles
X. E. from Bieeboro', and 196 S. E. from Mil-
Hingham, Ms., Plymouth co. Hingham is a
pleasant town on Boston Harbor. It was first
settled in 1633, and named after a town in Eng-
land. This town is remarkable for the health
and longevity of its inhabitants. There is a
well-endowed academy here, named, from its
founder, Derby Academy. An elegant steam
packet plies between Hingham and Boston for 9
months of the year. The passage among the
islands is truly delightful. Turkey, Baker's,
Otis, Pleasant, and Squirrel Hills present ex-
tensive and delightful views of the bay and sur-
rounding country. 12 miles S. E. from Boston
by water, and 14 by land, over the South Shore
Hinsdale, Ms., Berkshire co. This town lies
on the west side of the Green Mountain range,
and is watered by a branch of Housatonic Eiver.
On the banks of this stream and its tributaries is
excellent meadow land. This town was formerly
a part of old Partridgefield, now Peru, and was
first settled about the year 1762. It was named
after the worthy and Eev. Theodore Hinsdale,
who came and gathered a church in 1795. 143
miles W. from Boston, and 8 E. by S. from Pitts-
Hinsdale, N. Y., Cattaraugus co. Drained by
Ischua and Olean Creeks, and contains a small
lake, called the Eeservoir. The surface is hilly;
soil favorable to the growth of grass. 15 miles
S. E. from Ellicottville, and 281 W. by S. from
Hinsdale, N. H., Cheshire co. This town is
well watered with springs and rivulets of the
purest -water. The Connecticut washes its west-
ern border, and the Ashuelet runs through the
centre, forming a junction with the Connecticut
a little below the bend called Cooper's Point.
Kilburn and Ash Swamp Brooks are found here.
There are several islands in the Connecticut in
this town. On the N. line of Hinsdale is West
Eiver Mountain; in it are found iron ore and
some other minerals. S. of Ashuelet is Stebbin's
Hill, a tract of excellent land. On the point of
a hill not far from the Connecticut Eiver are to
be seen the remains of an Indian fortification.
Hinsdale was originally a part of Northfield, and
received its name from Colonel Ebenezer Hins-
dale, one of the principal inhabitants. 75 miles
S. W. by W. from Concord, and about 15 S. W.
from Keene, with which it is connected by a
Hiram, Me., Oxford co. This town lies on
both sides of a branch of Saco Eiver, 86 miles
W. S. W. from Augusta, and 40 S. W. from
Paris. The township is fertile, and productive of
wool and wheat. Incorporated 1807.
Hiram, O., Portage co., is a fertile, well-cul-
tivated township, having Geauga on the N. It is
148 miles N. E. from Columbus.
Hitchcockville, Ct., Litchfield co. On the W.
branch of Farmington Eiver, which affords good
water power. N. W. from Hartford 26 miles.
An enterprising manufacturing place.
Hoboken, N. J., Hudson co. This fine summer
resort lies on the W. bank of Hudson Eiver,
opposite New York city, and 60 miles N. E. from
Trenton. See Fashionable Resorts.
Hocking-County, O., c. h. at Logan. Fairfield
and Perry counties bound it on the N., Athens on
the E., Jackson on the S., and Boss co. on the
W. Part of the land is hilly and broken, but
that which lies on the Hockhocking Eiver is fer-
tile and valuable. The head waters of Eaccoon
and Salt Creeks are found here. The county
was established in 1818.
Holmesville, Ga., c. h. Appling co. 177 miles
S. S. E. from Milledgeville.
Holmesville, Mi., c. h. Pike co. On the W. side
of Bogue Chitto Eiver. 87 miles S. from Jack-
Honeybrook, Pa., Chester co. Drained by
branches of Brandywine Eiver. Surface gently
sloping; soil sandy loam. 38 miles N. W. from