Hartsville, Mo., c. h. Wright co. On the N.
side of Wood's Fork of Gasconade River.
Hartwiclc, N. Y., Otsego co. The Susquehan-
na River and Otsego Creek water this town, the
surface of which is hilly, and the soil sandy loam,
very fertile in the valleys. 5 miles S. W. from
Cooperstovvn village, and 75 W. from Albany.
In the E. part of the town, on the bank of the
Susquehanna, 73 miles W. from Albany, is the
seat of a literary and theological seminary under
the care of the Lutherans. See Theological Schools.
Harvard, Ms., Worcester co., was taken from
Stow, Lancaster, and Groton in 1732, and re-
ceived its name in honor of the founder of Har-
vard College. The town has a warm, strong,
and fertile soil, but its surface is somewhat
rocky and broken by hills. The Nashua washes
its western boundary. The town«is also watered
by a small stream called Still River, and some
ponds. Bare Hill Pond, a fine sheet of water, 3
miles in circumference, containing 2 small islands
and affording some water power, lies a little to
the eastward of Still River village. Hell Pond,
so called from its great depth, 90 feet, and Rob-
bins's Pond lie at the N. part of the town.
These ponds contain fine perch and pickerel.
A fine blue slate is found here. Still River vil-
lage, in Harvard, lies 6 miles W. from the Little-
ton depot, on the Fitchburg Railroad, and 314
miles from Boston. A society of Shakers reside
in the N. part of the town.
Harwinton, Ct., Litchfield co. Har-win-ton
derived its name from 3 syllables taken from the
names of Hartford, Windsor, and Farmington.
It was first settled in 1731, incorporated 1737.
Harwinton is situated on high ground, abounding
■with granite rocks, and more fit for grazing than
Hastings, N. Y-, Oswego co. Drained by
Salmon Creek and several small tributaries of
Oneida Lake. The surface is level; soil favor-
able to the growth of grass. 20 miles S. E. from
Oswego, and 150 N. W. from Albany.
Hatfield, Ms., Hampshire co., was formerly
a part of the town of Hadley. It lies on the W.
side of Connecticut River. The surface is level,
with a soil of an excellent quality, a good part
of which is choice intervale. Haydensville, at
the S. W. part of the town, is a neat village,
watered by Mill River. 5 miles N. from North-
Hatfield, Pa., Montgomery co. Watered by
Neshaming and Towamensing Creeks. Surface
undulating; soil sandy loam.
Havana, Is., c. h. Mason co., occupies a high,
sandy ridge on the E. bank of Illinois River,
opposite the mouth of Spoon River, and 45 miles
N. N. W. from Springfield.
Haverford, Pa., Delaware co. Watered by
Cobb's and Darby Creeks. Surface hilly; soil
rich sandy loam. 95 miles S. E. from Harrisburg.
Haverhill, Ms., Essex co., is a town of uncom-
mon beauty. It is situated on the N. side of
Merrimae River, over which are two handsome
bridges. It is at the head of navigation on the
Merrimae River. Little River and other streams
give Haverhill a fine hydraulic power. The soil is
very good and highly cultivated. From ‘‘ Gold-
en Hill," and Silver's Hill," two of the most
commanding eminences in the town, the land-
scape scenery is delightful. Near the centre of
the town are Plug. Round, and Great Ponds;
and, in the W. parish, Creek Pond. The two
latter are celebrated for their beautiful scenery
and fine fish. These ponds cover an area of 780
acres. At the N. part of the town, on the brow
of a hill, is a large rock called the Corner
Stone," located at the corner of 4 towns. 16
miles N. E. from Lowell, and 32 N. from Boston,
by the Boston and Maine Railroad.
Haverhill, N. H., Grafton co. This is one of
the shire towns, and is watered by Oliverian and
Hazen Brooks. The soil is suited to every spe-
cies of cultivation common to the climate. There
is a quarry of granite suitable for mill stones
and buildings, and a bed of iron ore, on the W.
side of Benton, bordering this town. The prin-
cipal village is called Haverhill Corner; in it is
a beautiful common, of an oblong square; the
situation is elevated, overlooking the adjacent
country for many miles. There is also another
village, on a street nearly a mile in length,
straight and very level. Several of the early
settlers were from Newbury and Haverhill, Ms.,
from which latter place this town derived its
name. Fine crystals are found here. First
settler, Captain John Hazen, in 1764. Distances
31 miles N. W. from Plymouth, and 99 N. N. W.
from Concord, by railroad. It also has railroad
connection with New York, Montreal, and Boston.
Haverstmw, N. Y., Rockland co. Watered by
2 or 3 small tributaries of the Hudson River,
which bounds it on the E. Stony Point, an im-
portant military post during the revolutionary
war, is in this town. The surface is hilly and
mountainous, being partly covered by the Dun-
derberg Mountain. The soil in the valleys is
chiefly clay loam of good quality. 7 miles N.
from New City, and 116 S. from Albany.
Havre de Grace, Md., Hartford co. On the W.
bank of Susquehanna River, at its entrance into
Chesapeake Bay. It is on the railroad between
Wilmington and Baltimore, and at the termina-
tion of the Susquehanna Canal.
Hawkins County, Te., c. h. at Rogersville. It
is bounded by Virginia, E. by Sullivan co., S.
by Greene and Jefferson, and W. by Grainger
and Claiborne counties. Surface mountainous,
and drained by Holston and Clinch Rivers and
Hawley, Ms., Franklin co. This town lies on
the Green Mountain range, and is the source
of some of the head waters of Deerfield River.
The‘surface is rough, but the soil good. There
is good iron ore in the town. 14 miles W. by S.
from Greenfield, and 104 W. by N. from Boston.
Haywood County, N. C., c. h. at Wavnesville.
On the western border. A highly-elevated tract;
in its lowest portions 1500 feet above the ocean.
Separated from Tennessee by the Smoky*ridge.
Touches the Blue Ridge on the S. Drained by
the Big Pigeon branch of the French Broad, one
of the south-eastern tributaries of the Tennessee.
Among the inhabitants are 710 Cherokee Indians.
Haywood County, Te, c. h. at Brownsville.
W. part watered by the Forked Deer and
Hatchee, tributaries of the Mississippi, which
flow through it. Flat and fertile.
Hays County, Ts., c. h. at San Marcus.
Heard County, Ga., c. h. at Franklin. Bounded
N. by 'Carroll co., E. by Coweta, S. by Troup,
and W. by Alabama. The Chattahoochee River
traverses this county. Surface level; soil tolera-
Heai'.h, Ms., Franklin co. Heath is a moun-
tainou 3 township. Some of the head waters of