water can come to the wharves, in the centre of
the village. The granite quarries at Hallowell
have been worked for twenty years or more, with
great success. The granite is of a light color,
and easily wrought. In some years SI00,000
worth of it have been transported. The Hall
of Justice, in New York, familiarly known as
the Tombs," is constructed of this stone.
As Hallowell and Augusta are so closely united
in all their various interests and pursuits, what
we have said of the favorable position of Au-
gusta, and of its future prospects, is applicable
here. With common success in our national
affairs, and with a continuation of that spirit of
enterprise, every day manifested on the banks
of the Kennebec, it is safe to predict that within
a very few years there will be a continuous vil-
lage "from the Kennebec dam to the mouth of
the Cobbessecontee. at Gardiner. Population in
1820, 2919; 1850,4769.
Hamburg, As., c. h. Ashley co.
Hamburg N. Y., Erie co. Watered by Smokes,
Bush, and Cayuga Creeks, tributaries of Lake
Erie, which bounds it on the W. The surface is
undulating; soil fertile, yielding large crops of
grass, grain, and fruit. 8 miles S. from the city
of Buffalo, and 281 W. from Albany.
Hamburg, Pa., Berks co. Near the Schuyl-
kill Water Gap. 68 miles E. N. E. from Harris-
Hamburg, S. C., Edgefield district. On the E.
side of Savannah River, opposite Augusta, Ga.,
with which it is connected by a bridge 1000 feet
long. It is divided into the upper and lower
towns. The upper is on an abrupt acclivity, 60
or 70 feet in height, and the lower part, where
most of the business is done, is on the bank of
the river. It is regularly laid out, handsomely
built, and has a large business. 79 miles S. W.
Hamden, Ct., New Haven co. This town was
taken from New Haven in 1786. It is situated
between the E. and W. Rock ranges of moun-
tains, the southern terminus of the Green Moun-
tain range. The soil in many parts is easy of
cultivation, but in general it is more adapted to
grazing than tillage. Minerals are found here,
among which are specimens of very pure copper.
Mill River affords numerous sites for water
works. Whitneysville, about 2 miles from New
Haven, is admirably located for manufacturing
operations. Mount Carmel, a noted elevation, 8
miles N. from New Haven, affords an extensive
Hamden, N. Y., Delaware co. Drained by the
W. branch of the Delaware River. A broken
and mountainous town, with quite a variety of
soil. 7 miles S. from Delhi village, and 85
S. W. from Albany.
Hamilton Countg, Fa., c. h. at Jasper. Bound-
ed N. by Georgia, E. and S. by the Little Su-
wannee River, separating it from Columbia co.,
and W. by the Withlacoochee River, separating
it from Madison co. Watered, through the in-
terior, by the Allapahaw River. Soil fertile.
Hamilton, Ga., c. h. Harris co. At the W. ex-
tremity of Oak Mountain. 126 miles W. S. W.
Hamilton County, Is., c. h. at McLeansboro'.
Incorporated in 1821, and bounded N. by Wayne
CO., E. by White, S. by Gallatin, and W. by
Franklin and Jefferson counties. Drained by
branches of Little Wabash River and Saline
Creek. In the N. part is a swamp of some size.
Soil of rather poor quality.
Hamilton County. la, c. h. at Noblesville. It is
bounded N. by Riehardville, E. by Madison, S.
by Hancock and Marion, and W. by Boone co.
Drained by the W. fork of White River and its
branches. The surface consists partly of prairies.
Hamilton, Ms., Essex co., was formerly a part
of Ipswich, and called Ipswich Hamlet. Ips-
wich River passes its western and northern bor-
der, and Miles's River, running N., passes into it
The town was named in honor of Alexander
Hamilton. The people of this town are mostly
agriculturists, and they cultivate an excellent
soil, with a pleasant surface. Hamilton lies, by
the Eastern Railroad, 20, miles N. by E. from
Boston, and 14 S. from Newburyport.
Hamilton, Mi., c. h. Monroe co. About a mile
E. from Tombigbee River, and 156 miles N. E.
Hamilton, N. J., Atlantic co. This town is
watered by Great Egg Harbor. Surface level;
soil sandy. 30 miles S. E. from Woodbury.
Hamilton County, N. Y., c. h. at Lake Pleasant
Incorporated in 1838. Bounded N. by St. Law-
rence and Franklin, E. by Essex and Warren, S.
by Fulton, and W. by Herkimer co. Its princi-
pal lakes are Indian, Racket, Long, Piseco, and
Lake Pleasant; its rivers. Indian, Saeandaga,
Moose, and Racket. Surface elevated, and in
parts hilly and mountainous; soil fertile along
the borders of the rivers and lakes.
Hamilton, N. Y., Madison co. Drained by the
head branches of Chenango River. The surface
is somewhat hilly; soil fertile, calcareous loam.
10 miles S. E. from Morrisville, and 96 W. from
Hamilton County, O., c. h. at Cincinnati. It is
bounded N. by Butler, E. by Clermont co., S. by
the Ohio River, and W. by the state of Indiana.
It is a small but populous county, and is watered
by the Little and Big Miamies and Whitewater
Rivers, Mill and Deer Creeks, and their branches.
The land is of a good quality, and well adapted
for the cultivation of grain.
Hamilton, O., c. h. Butler co. On the S. E.
bank of the Great Miami River. 102 miles
W. S. W. from Columbus. Connected with
Cincinnati by the Miami Canal, which passes
through it. A large and flourishing place.
Hamilton, 0., Franklin co. On the E. side of
the Scioto River, S. of, and adjoining, Mont-
gomery. It is a rich farming township. The
Columbus lateral canal and the stage road to
Chillicothe pass through it from N. to S.
Hamilton, Pa., Adams co. Bounded N. and
W. by Conewago Creek, and drained by Beaver
Run. Surface level; soil reddish gravel and
flint. 12 miles N. E. from Gettysburg.
Hamilton Ban, Pa., Adams co. Bounded E.
by Marsh Creek, and N. by its S. branch, and is
drained by Toms and Middle Creeks and Muddy
Run. Surface level; soil calcareous loam and
gravel. Iron and copper ores and a few mineral
springs are found here.
Hamilton, Pa., Monroe co. Drained by McMi-
chael, Cherry, and Pokon Creeks, branches of
the Delaware River. Surface much diversified;
Hamilton, Pa., Franklin co. Watered .by the
main branch of Conecocheague Creek and its
tributary Black Creek. Surface hilly; soil cal-
careous loam and slate.