quality- 13 miles N. E. from Ithaca, and 160
W. from Albany.
Groton, Vt., Caledonia co. On Wells River,
and some of its branches, which afford mill privi-
leges. The surface is uneven, rough, and stony.
16 miles E. by S. from Montpelier.
Grove, N. Y., Alleghany co., is watered by
Cashaque and Canaseraga Creeks. Surface un-
dulating; soil chiefly sandy loam. 13 miles N.
from Angelica, and 257 W. from Albany.
Groveland, Ms. Incorporated in 1852. Taken
Groveland, N. Y., Livingston co. Watered on
the N. E. by Coneseus Lake, and S. by Canase-
raga Creek. The surface is high and uneven;
soil various. 6 miles S. from Geneseo, and 232
W. from Albany.
Grundy County, Is., c. h. at Morris. Bounded
N. by Kendall co., E. by Will, S. by Livingston,
and W. by Lasalle co. Surface level, and watered
by the Illinois River and its branches; soil of
Grundy County, Mo., c. h. at Trenton. Bounded
N. by Mercer co., E. by Sullivan and Linn, S. by
Livingston, and W. by Davies and Harrison
counties. This county consists mostly of fertile
prairie land, and is watered by the E. fork of
Grand River, Medicine and Muddy Creeks.
Grundy County, Te., c. h. at Altamonta.
Guadalupe County, Ts., c. h. at Sequin. S. cen-
tral. On the Upper Guadalupe.
Guernsey County, O., c. h. at Cambridge. Tus-
carawas bounds it on the N., Belmont on the E.,
Morgan on the S., and Muskingum and Co-
shocton counties on the W. It was settled by
some emigrants from the Island of Guernsey,
from which place it derives its name. The land
is of good quality, but hilly, and is watered by
Wills Creek and its branches; it has a variety
Guilderland, N. Y., Albany co. Drained on
the E. by Norman's Kill. The surface is mostly
level; soil sandy, and rather sterile. 10 miles
W. from Albany.
Guildhall, Vt., c. h. Essex co. On the W. side
of Connecticut River, and is united to Lancaster,
N. H., by two bridges across the river. The town
is watered by several small streams, and the sur-
face is quite uneven and stony, except a tract
of intervale on the river. Cow and Burnside
Mountains are considerable elevations. There
is a pleasant village in the N. E. part of the town.
The settlement was commenced in 1764. 68
miles N. E. from Montpelier.
Guilford, Ct., New Haven co. This town, the
Menunkatuc of the Indians, was first settled in
1639. The town was settled by a party of Non-
conformists from England, at the head of which
was the Rev. Henry Whitfield. Guilford borough
was incorporated in 1815. It is handsomely lo-
cated, two miles from Long Island Sound, on a
tract of alluvial plain, and near a small stream
called the Menunkatuc. Guilford is a place of
resort for sea air and bathing. The accommoda-
tions are very good. The scenery in the vicinity
<tf Sachem's Head is wild and picturesque. The
soil of Guilford is well adapted to agricultural
pursuits. 16 miles E. from New Haven.
Guilford, Me., Piscataquis co. Watered by the
Piscataquis and some of its upper branches. 71
miles N. E. from Augusta, and 45 N. W. from
Guilford County, N. C., c. h. at Greensboro'.
Bounded N. by Rockingham, E. hv Orange, S. by
Randolph, and W. by Davidson and Stokes
counties. Watered by the head branches of
Deep and Haw Rivers. Here was fought, in 1781,
the celebrated battle of Guilford Court House.
Guilford, N. Y., Chenango co. Bounded on
the E. by Unadilla River. The surface is hilly
and broken; soil generally productive. 10 miles
S. E. from Norwich, and 105 W. by S. from Al-
Guilford, Pa., Franklin co. Bounded on the
W. by the E. branch of Conecocheague Creek,
•and drained by several mill streams. Surface
level; soil based upon limestone and slate. 6
miles S. E. from Chambersburg.
Guilford, Vt., Windham co. The soil is warm
and fertile. There are in this town good mill
sites on Green River, and branches of Broad
Brook, a medicinal spring, and various kinds of
minerals. This town was chartered April 2,
1754, to 54 proprietors, principally of Massachu-
setts. The first settlement was made by Micah
Rice and family, in September, 1761. 50 miles
S. from Windsor, and 31 S. E. from Bennington.
Guyandotte, Va., Cabell co. On the point of
land at the junction of Ohio and Guyandotte Riv-
ers, 359 miles W. N. W. from Richmond.
Gwynned, Pa., Montgomery co. Drained by
Wissahickon and Towamensing Creeks. Sur-
face undulating; soil sandy loam. 95 miles E.
Gwinnett County, Ga., c. h. at Lawrenceville.
Bounded N. E. by Hall and Jackson counties, S.
E. by Walton and Newton, S. W. by De Kalb,
and N. W. by the Chattahoochee River, separat-
ing it from Forsyth co. Drained by branches of
Chattahoochee, Ockmulgee, and Oconee Rivers.
Habersham County, Ga., c. h. at Clarksville.
Bounded N. by Union co., N. E. by South Car-
olina, S. E. and S. by Franklin and Hall coun-
ties, and W. by Lumpkin co. Watered on the
N. E. boundary by the Turoree, a branch ot
Tugaloo River, and drained by the head branches
of the Chatahoochee River. Surface moun-
Hackensack, N. J., Bergen co. On the W. side ot
Hackensack River. 76 miles N. E. from Trenton.
Haddam, Ct., Middlesex co. Incorporated
1668. This is one of the county towns, and lies
on both sides of Connecticut River. Haddam
Society, on the W. side, is the largest part of the
town, and is the seat of justice. That part of
Haddam on the E. side is called Haddam Neck.
There is but little alluvial land in Haddam.
The principal part of the township is hilly and
stony, with considerable forests There are
valuable quarries of flagging stone on both sides
of the river. There are many vessels built at
Haddam. The timber in this quarter of the
county is well adapted for that purpose. The
village of Haddam is pleasant, and has a good
prospect of the river. 23 miles S. from Hartford.
Hadley, Ms., Hampshire co., is a pleasant town
on the E. bank of Connecticut River, and united
to Northampton by a handsome bridge, 1080
feet in length. The village is situated on a
peninsula formed by a bend of the river. It has
a wide street of about a mile in length, well built,
and shaded by heautiful elms. Hadley contains
extensive tracts of the finest land in the state.
Its meadows, which are annually overflowed by
the river, are very fertile, and exceedingly pro-