S. W. from Canton, and 180 N. W. from Al-
Grafton, Me., Oxford co. A-new town. In-
corporated in 1852.
Grafton, Ms., Worcester co., was formerly an
Indian reservation, and until 1735 was called
Hassanamisco. The surface is uneven, and in
most parts rocky. The most prominent hills are
Chestnut, near the centre, George, on the E., and
Brigham Hill, on the W. part of the town. The
soil is moist, sti'ong, and very productive of all
sorts of grain and grass. This is one of the best
townships of land in the county. Grafton has an
hydraulic power of great extent and value. The
Blackstone River and Canal pass through the
southern section of the town. The Quinsiga-
mond, the outlet of a pond of that name, in
Shrewsbury, passes from N. to S. through the
town, with a descent of between 50 and 60 feet.
On this stream, in the N. part of the town, is New
England Village; and at its junction with the
Blackstone, at the S. part of the town, is the vil-
lage of Earnumsville. These villages are distant
from each other about 4 miles ; they possess an
abundant water power, and are very neat and
flourishing manufacturing villages. The central
village is on elevated ground, and very pleasant.
It lies 3 miles S. E. from New England Village,
through which the Millbury Branch Railroad
passes. Erom New England Village, about a
mile from the Grafton depot, on the Boston and
Worcester Railroad, to Worcester, is 7 miles N.
W., and to Boston 37 miles E. N. E.
Grafton County, N. H. Haverhill and Plym-
outh, county towns. It is 58 miles in length,
and its greatest breadth is 30 miles. Bounded N.
by the county of Coos and the Connecticut River,
E. by Coos, Carroll, and Belknap, S. by Merrimae
and Sullivan, and W. by the state of Vermont
and Connecticut River. Grafton co. is watered
by Connecticut, Pemigewasset, Lower Amonoo-
suck Rivers, and many smaller streams. Squam
and Newfound Lakes are the largest collec-
tions of water. There are numerous elevations,
the principal of which are Gardner's, Peaked,
Moosehillock, Cushman's, Blue Mount, Carr's,
Morse, and Cardigan. A large portion of this
county is mountainous and hilly, but it is produc-
tive. The first settlement was made at Lebanon.
It received its name in honor of Augustus Henry
Fitzroy. Duke of Grafton.
Grafton, N. II., Grafton co., is watered by
branches of Smith's and Mascomy Rivers, also by
Heard's River. There are 5 ponds. The largest is
from 200 to 300 acres, and is called Grafton. Two
are named Mud Ponds. The surface is hilly, and
in some parts mountainous ; the soil rocky. In
this town is a remarkable ledge, called the Pin-
nacle. At Glass Hill, a valuable quarry of isin-
flass or mica is found. First settlers, Captain
oseph Hoyt, and Captain Alexander Pixly and
wife, in 1772.
Grafton, N. Y., Rensselaer co. ThePoeston
Kill, and some 6"ther small streams, water this
town. The surface is hilly; soil clay loam. 14
miles E. from Troy, and 20N.E. from Albany.
Grafton, Vt, Windham co. Grafton is finely
watered by Saxton's River, which is formecb in
the town by the union of several streams, and by
a branch of Williams River. Soapstone of an
excellent quality is very abundant in this place
This town contains two pleasant and flourishing
villages, and a great variety of mineral treasure.
It is 90 miles S. from Montpelier, and 18 N.
from Newfane. The Rutland Railroad passes
through this town.
Granby, Ct., Hartford co. 16 miles N. N. W.
from Hartford. It was formed from Simsbury,
in 1786, and comprises that part of it which con-
tained the famous Simsbury mine, the old state
prison of Connecticut. This cavern once occu-
pied as a prison is again worked, as formerly, as
a copper mine.
Granby, Ms., Hampshire co., was formerly the
second parish of South Hadley. From a pond in
the N. E. corner of the town originates a pleasant
stream, passing the foot of Mt. Holyoke on the
S., and empties into the Connecticut at South
Hadley. The surface is pleasant, and the soil pro-
ductive. There is a pleasant village near its cen-
tre. 85 miles W. by S. from Boston, and 12 N.
by E. from Springfield.
Granby, N. Y., Oswego co. Oswego River, and
some other small streams, water this town, the
surface of which is undulating, and the soil sandy
loam. 15 miles S. from Oswego, and 158 W. by
N. from Albany.
Granby, Vt., Essex co. Granby is nearly allied
to Ferdinand, both in location and the character
of the soil; it lies the next town S. of it. This
town was settled a few years previous to 1800.
12 miles W. from Guildhall, and 68 N. E. from
Granger, N. Y., Alleghany co. Drained by the
Genesee River and several small tributaries.
Surface undulating; soil sandy and clay loam. 10
miles N.from Angelica, and 250 W from Albany.
Granger County, Te., c. h. at Rutledge. Bound-
ed N.. by Clinch River, separating it from Clai-
borne co., E. by Hawkins co., S. by Holston Riv-
er, separating it from Jefferson co., and W. by
Knox and Anderson counties. Surface rough and
hilly; soil of superior quality on the margins of
Grand Gulf, Mi., Claiborne co. On a bend in
the Mississippi River, called Grand Gulf. 360
miles by river above New Orleans, and 65 miles
S. by W. from Jackson.
Grand Haven, Mn., Ottawa co. On Grand Riv-
er, 80 rods from its entrance into Michigan Lake.
Steamboats touch here. 213 miles W. by N. from
Grand Isle County, Vt., c. h. at North Hero.
This county comprises a group of islands in
Lake Champlain, and a point of land jutting into
the N. part of that lake, on the S. side of the Can-
ada line, on which Alburg is situated. Most of
the land is level, and excellent for grazing and til-
lage. Grand Isle has no considerable streams, but
its navigable facilities are very great. It was first
settled about the close of the revolutionary war.
Grand Isle, Vt., Grand Isle co. The soil is very
fertile; it produces fine crops of grain, and an
abundance of fruit and cider. Marble, limestone,
rock crystals, &c., are found here. Grand Isle
contains the only water mill in the county. This ia
a fine place for fishing and fowling. The settle-
ment was commenced about the year 1783, by
emigrants from New Hampshire and the south-
ern part of Vermont. 50 miles N. W. from Mont-
pelier, and 18 N. by W. from Burlington.
Grant County, la., c. h. at Marion. Incorpo-
rated in 1831, and is bounded N. by Wabash and
Huntington counties, E. by Wells and Blackford,
S. by Delaware and Madison, and W. by Rich
ardville and Miami counties. The surface is