McIntosh co., E. by the Atlantic Ocean, S. by
Scilla Eiver, separating it from Camden co., and
W. by Wayne co. Drained by Turtle Eiver and
Buffalo Creek, its main branch. Surface flat, and
in some parts marshy. St. Simon's and Jykill
Islands belong to this county.
Gnadenhutten, 0., Tuscarawas co. Some Mo-
ravian missionaries first established this town. It
lies on the eastern bank of Tuscarawas Eiver. 50
miles N. E. from Zanesville, and 90 E. by N.from
Columbus. Lock No. 17 of the Ohio and Erie
Canal is one mile above this town, on the W. side
of the river.
Goffstown. N. H. Hillsboro' co. Piscataquog
is the principal river. Large quantities of lum-
ber are floated down this river to the Merrimac.
There are two considerable elevations in the
town, named by the Indians Un-can-nu-nuc. On
the rivers are tracts of valuable intervale. Back
from them are extensive plains, producing abun-
dant crops. The village of Amoskeag is in this
town, on the W. side of Merrimac Eiver, opposite
Manchester, to which it is connected by a bridge.
At this place are the celebrated Amoskeag Falls.
Amoskeag is a place of considerable business,
and must eventually become the mart of large
manufacturing operations. 12 miles N. by E.
from Amherst, and 15 S. from Concord.
Golansville, Ya., Caroline co. 33 miles N. from
Eichmond. In the neighborhood of this place
are two mineral springs.
Golconda, Is., c. h. Pope co. On the S. side of
Lusk Creek. 215 miles S. S. E. from Springfield.
Goldsboro', Me. See Appendix. No. 7.
Goliad County, Ts., c. h. at Goliad. Southern
part. On both sides of the St. Antonio.
Gonzales County, Ts., c. h. at Gonzales. S. cen-
tral. On both sides the Guadalupe.
Gonzales, Ts., c. h. Gonzales co.
Goochland County, Ya., c. h. at Goochland.
Bounded N. by Louisa and Hanover counties, E.
by Henrico, S. by the James Eiver, separating it
from Powhatan and Cumberland counties, and
W. by Fluvanna co. Drained by Tuckahoe, Do-
ver, and Byrd Creeks, and several other small
streams, affording hydraulic power. The surface
is diversified, and much of the soil of good qual-
ity. Coal of superior quality and gold exist here.
Goochland, Ya., c. h. Goochland co. 1 mile N.
from James Eiver, and 30 W. N. W. from Eich-
Goodhope, O., Hocking co. A township in the
northern part of the county.
Gordon County, Ga. New. In the N. W. angle.
Gordonsville, Ya., Orange co. At the E. base of
South-West Mountain, on a head branch of North
Anna Eiver, N. W. from Eichmond 74, and S.
W. by W. from Fredericksburg 50 miles. The
Louisa Eailroad passes through it.
Gorham, Me., Cumberland co. 9 miles W. N.
W. from Portland, and 63 S. W. from Augusta.
The Cumberland and Oxford Canal passes
through it. The soil is superior, and it has man-
ufactures of cottons, woollens, leather, stoves, and
gunpowder. Connected with Portland by railroad.
Gorham, N. H., Coos co., is a rough and unpro-
ductive township, lying on the northerly base of
the White Mountains. Several streams descend
from the mountains through this town into the
Androscoggin. It was formerly called Shelburne
Addition. 96 miles N. E. from Concord, and 20
E. from Lancaster.
Gorham, N. Y., Ontario co. Watered by Flint
Creek, and some small tributaries of Canandai-
gua Lake. The surface is gently undulating;
soil fertile. 8 miles S. E. from Canandaigua, and
187 W. from Albany.
Goshen, Ct., Litchfield co. First settled 1738;
incorporated 1749. Ivy Mountain, in Goshen,
is considered the most elevated point of land in
the state; its summit presents an extensive and
delightful prospect. Goshen is the most ele-
vated township in the state, but not generally
mountainous; the surface being undulating, af-
fording an interesting diversity of hills and vales.
The soil is a gravelly loam, deep, strong, and fer-
tile, admirably adapted for grazing. This is one
of the best towns for the dairy business in the
state. Large quantities of cheese are annually
made, the fame of which is widely and justly
celebrated, and the inhabitants are generally in
prosperous circumstances. In neatness, in and
about their dwellings, and in the appearance of
general comfort and prosperity, they are not ex-
ceeded, if equalled, by any town in the state."
32 miles W. from Hartford.
Goshen, la., c. h. Elkhart co. On the E. side of
Elkhart Eiver. 152 miles N. by E. from Indian-
Goshen, Ms., Hampshire co., is a small moun-
tainous township, from which several branches of
the Westfield Eiver take their rise. There is much
fine timber land in the town. Although the sur-
face is rough, the soil is excellent for grazing. 12
miles N. W.from Northampton, and 102 W. from
Goshen, N. H., Sullivan co. From Sunapee
Mountain, in the E. part of this town, spring many
small streams, which unite in forming Sugar Eiv-
er. Band's Pond is in the N. E. part of the town.
The soil is good for grass. The crops of the first
settlers were sometimes entirely destroyed by ear-
ly frosts. At a certain time of scarcity, Captain
Band went to Walpole after grain, and being de-
tained by a violent snow storm, his family were
obliged to live, without provision, for 6 days, dur-
ing which time Mrs. Band sustained one of his
children, 5 years old, by the milk from her breast,
having a short time before buried her infant child.
First settlers, Captain Benjamin Band, William
Lang, and Daniel Grindle in 1769. From Concord
42 miles W. by N., and about 10 S. E. from New-
Goshen, N. Y., c. h. Orange co. It is watered
by a few small streams, and contains the
Drowned Lands," lying on the banks of the
Wallkill. The surface is hilly in some parts, with
extensive flats in others. The soil is favorable to
the growth of grass, and this vicinity is celebrated
for its fine dairies. 104 miles S. S. W. from Al-
Goshen, Vt., Addison co. Leicester and Phila-
delphia Eivers supply this town with mill privi-
leges. The lands along the rivers are' very good,
but in general they are too mountainous for prof-
itable cultivation. Some minerals are found in
this town. A part of Goshen'was annexed to
Bochester, in 1847. No permanent settlement
was commenced here till 1800. 31 miles S. W.
Gosport, N. H., Eockingham co. See Isle of
Gouverneur, N. Y., St. Lawrence co. Watered
by the Oswegatchie Eiver, which makes a great
bend in this vicinity. The surface is generally
level; soil mostly of a good quality. 18 miles