is a railroad from this place to Bridgeport, on
the Ohio River.
Freeport, Pa., Armstrong co. At the junction
of Buffalo Creek with Alleghany River. 196
miles W. N. W. from Harrisburg. The Penn-
sylvania Canal here crosses the creek by an
Freestone County, Ts. New.
Freetown, Ms., Bristol co. Its Indian name
was Assonet, and it was first settled in 1659.
This town lies on the E. side of Taunton River.
The New Bedford and Taunton Railroad passes
about 3 miles N. E. from Assonet village, at the
head of a small bay of tt»t name, and the prin-
cipal place of business in the town. Assonet
River falls into the bay at the village, which,
with the bay and Taunton River, affords the vil-
lage good mill seats and navigable facilities.
The soil is light. It is the seat of various man-
ufactures in iron, leather, and cabinet furniture.
12 miles N. N. W. from New Bedford, and 43
S. from Boston.
Fremont, Ca., c. h. Yolo co. On the W. bank
of the Sacramento, opposite the mouth of Feather
Fremont, Io., c. h. Benton co.
Freemont County, Io., c. h. at Sidney. In the
S. W. corner of the state.
Freemont, 0., c. h. Sandusky co. Connected by
railroad with Sandusky City.
French Creek, N. Y., Chautauque co. Watered
by a creek of the same name. The surface is
hilly; soil favorable to the growth of grass. 18
miles S. W. from Mayville, and 355 W. by S.
French Creek, Pa., Mercer co. French and
Sandy Creeks drain this town, the surface of
which is level, and the soil clay and loam of in-
different quality. 223 miles W. N. W. from
Friendship, Me., Lincoln co. On the coast, at
the head of Muscongus Bay. 48 miles S. E. from
Friendship, N. Y., Alleghany co. Drained by
Campan's Creek, a branch of the Genesee River.
Surface undulating; soil argillaceous mould,
yielding large crops of grass. 101 miles S. W.
from Angelica, and 266 W. from Albany.
Frostburg, Md., Alleghany co. 176 miles N.
W. from Annapolis. Hereabouts are extensive
beds of semi-bituminous coal, largely wrought,
and connected by railroad with the Chesapeake
and Ohio Canal, and Baltimore and Ohio Rail-
road at Cumberland.
Fryeburg. Me., Oxford co. On both sides of the
Saco, which, from its very winding course, runs
between 30 and 40 miles in its limits. The
principal village is in a plain, surrounded by
lofty hills. Lovewell's Pond, famous in the
history of the Indian wars, lies a short distance
from the village. 75 miles W. N. W. from
Fulton County, As., c. h. at Pilot Hill.
Fulton County, Is., c. h. at Lewiston. Bounded
N. by Knox co., E. by Peoria co., S. E. and S. by
the Illinois River, separating it from Mason co.,
and W. by Schuyler, McDonough, and Warren
counties. Drained by Spoon River and Copperas
Creek. Surface undulating, consisting partly of
prairies; soil very fertile.
Fulton County, la., c. h. at Rochester, shire
town. Bounded N. by Marshal co., E. by Kos-
ciusko and Miami, S. by Cass, and W. by Pulas-
ki co. Surface level, and watered by the Tip-
Fulton County, Ky., c. h. at Hickman. In the
S. W. corner of the state. Level.
Fulton, Mi., c. h. Itawamba co. On the E. fork of
Tombigbee River. 210 miles N. E. from Jackson.
Fulton County, N. Y., c. h. at Johnstown. This
county is bounded on the N. by Hamilton co.,
E. by Saratoga, S. by Montgomery, and W. by
Herkimer co. It was incorporated from Mont-
gomery co. in 1838. The surface is hilly and
mountainous, being crossed by the Klips," or
Mayfield Mountains, a branch of the Clinton or
Adirondack range. It is drained by the Sacan-
daga River, and numerous tributaries of the Mo-
hawk and West Canada Creek. The soil is
generally strong and productive.
Fulton, N. Y., Oswego co. On the E. side of
Oswego River. 190 miles W. N. W. from Al-
bany. The river here has a fall of about 20 feet,
producing a good water power.
Fulton, N. Y., Schoharie co. Watered by
Schoharie Creek and some of its branches, on
one of which there is a fall of 100 feet. The sur-
face is rather hilly; the soil fertile in the valleys.
9 miles S. W. from Schoharie, and 42 W. from
Fulton, 0., Hamilton co. Situated on the
Ohio River, above and adjoining Cincinnati.
The township lies in the form of a crescent, fol-
lowing the bend of the river about two miles and
a half, and extending inland only about half a
mile to the top of the river hill. The town is
built principally on one street, being separated
only by an interval of about a mile between its
western limits and the suburbs of Cincinnati
There are extensive lumber yards in Fulton, and
several steam saw mills, by which a profitable
business is done. But the greatest business of
the place is that of steamboat building. A large
proportion of the Cincinnati built boats are the
product of the yards in this industrious village.
The turnpike through this town is a great
thoroughfare of travel, and of transportation by
wagons, to and from the city. The Little Miami
Railroad, and the Cincinnati, Columbus, and San-
dusky Railroad, both enter Cincinnati through
this town. Population in 1840, 1506; in 1850,
Fulton County, 0. New. Taken from the W.
part of Lucas. On the N. W. border of the state
Noble County, O. New.
Fulton County, Pa. New. Taken from Bed-
ford, E. part. On the S. line of the state, in
a valley between two ranges of the Alleghanies.
Watered by tributaries of the Potomac.
Fultonville, N. Y., Montgomery co. On the S.
side of the Mohawk River, on the Erie Canal.
43 miles W. N. W. from Albany.
Gadsden County, Fa., c. h. Quincy. Georgia
bounds this county on the N., the Ocklockony
River separating it from Leon and Wakulla
counties on the E., the Gulf of Mexico and
Franklin co. on the S., and the Appalachicola
River, separating it from Washington and Jack-
son counties, on the W. Surface mostly low,
and in parts marshy; the soil bordering on
some of the streams is of good quality. Dog
Island, lying off the coast, belongs to this county.
Gaines, N. Y., Orleans co. Drained by some
small tributaries of Oak Orchard Creek. The
surface is chiefly level; the soil of good quality