umet counties, E. by Sheboygan, S. by Washing-
ton and Dodge, and W. by Marquette co. Wa-
tered on the N. E. by Lake Winnebago, and
drained by Rock and Milwaukee Rivers, and
Crocodile and Martin's Creeks. Surface mostly
level, and in parts swampy.
Fond du Lac, Wn., Fond du Lac co. At the
head of Winnebago Lake. 98 miles N. E. from
Fordham, N. Y., Westchester co. On the line
of the Haerlem Railroad, 12^ miles from New
York City Hall. The site of St. John's College.
Forest County, Pa. New. Had but 561 in-
habitants by the census of 1850.
Forestburg, N. Y., Sullivan co. Drained by
Neversink River and some other streams. The
surface is hilly; soil sandy loam. 8 miles S. from
Monticello, and 127 S. S. W. from Albany.
Forks, Pa., Northampton co. Located near the
junction of the Delaware and Lehigh Rivers, and
drained by Bushkill Creek and its branches. Sur-
face level; soil loam.
Forsyth, Ga., c. h. Monroe co. A little S. from
the Towelagge, a branch of Ockmulgee River, and
55 miles W. from Milledgeville. Connected with
Macon by railroad, 45 miles distant.
Forsyth County, Ga., c. h. at Cumming. Bound-
ed N. by Lumpkin co., E. and S. by the Chat-
tahoochee River, separating it from Hall and
Gwinnett counties, and W. by Cherokee co.
Drained by Chattahoochee and Etowah Rivers
Forsyth, Mo., c. h. Taney co. On the E. side
of White River, at the mouth of Swan Creek,
and 201 miles S. from Jefferson City.
Forsyth County, N. C. New.
Fort Ann, N. Y., Washington co. Bounded
by Lake George on the N. W., and is watered by
Wood Creek; the Champlain Canal also passes
through this town. Surface diversified with hills,
mountains, valleys, and plains ; soil varied as
the surface. 12 miles N. from Sandy Hill, and
60 N. N. E. from Albany.
Fort Bend County, Ts., c. h. at Richmond. In
the S. middle part of the state, on both banks
of the Brazos.
Fort Covington, N. Y., Franklin co. Salmon
and Little Salmon Rivers water this town, the
surface of which is level, and the soil of good
quality. The Canada line bounds it on the N.
14 miles N. W. from Malone, and 223 N. N. W.
Fort Des Moines, Io., c. h. Polk co. At the
junction of Racoon and Des Moines. It is a
beautiful place, at the head of navigation of the
Des Moines River, within 30 miles of the geo-
graphical centre of the state, of which it will
probably be the capital at no distant day. The
valley of the Des Moines is unsurpassed in fer-
tility, and Fort Des Moines is already the seat of
a large inland trade. 120 miles W. from Iowa
Fort Edward, N. Y., Washington co. On the
E. bank of the Hudson. Drained by the Moose-
kill and some other small streams. The surface
is somewhat undulating; soil of good quality.
4 miles S. from Sandy Hill, and 47 N. N. E.
Fort Hamilton, N. Y., King's co. Situated
at the western extremity of Long Island, on
the E. side of the Narrows, through which is the
main entrance into New York Harbor. There is
a small village here connected with the Fort,
which enjoys a fine view of the lower bay and of
the ocean, and is one of the many places of re-
sort for the people of New York in the summer
season. See New York.
Fort Madison, Io., Lee co., on the W. bank
of the Mississippi River, contains the ruins of a
fortification, now hardly visible, erected in 1808,
as a defence against the Indians, who compelled
the garrison to bum the fort in 1813.
Fort Miller, N. Y., Washington co. On the
E. side of the Hudson River, where is a descent
of about 20 feet, also a dam for feeding the
Fort Plain, N. Y., Montgomery co. On the S.
bank of the Mohawk River, on the Erie Canal.
Fort Smith, As., Crawford co. 165 miles W.
N. W. from Little Rock, and 66 miles S. E. from
Fort Gibson. This place is situated on the S.
side of the Arkansas River, at the entrance of the
Poiteau, a small river from the S., on the ex-
treme W. border of the state. It is the site of an
extensive fortification, erected by the govern-
ment for the protection of their western frontier
Fort Wayne, la., c. h. Allen co. In a fertile
region, on the S. side of Maumee River, and on
the Wabash and Erie Canal. 131 miles N. N.
E. from Indianapolis.
Foster, R. I., Providence co. This is a large ag-
ricultural and manufacturing town, finely watered
by Hemlock Brook, Ponongansett and Moosup
Rivers. The surface of the town, in many parts,
is rough and uneven, but the soil is well calculated
for the productions of the dairy. In the western
part are extensive forests of valuable timber.
There are a number of pleasant villages on the
borders of the numerous streams. First settled
in 1717; incorporated in 1781. Foster was named
in compliment to the Hon. Theodore Foster,
formerly a senator of the United States. 15
miles S. W. from Providence.
Fountain County, la., c. h. at Covington. In-
corporated in 1825. Bounded E. by Tippecanoe
and Montgomery counties, S. by Park co., and
W. and N. by the Wabash River, separating it
from Vermilion and Warren counties. Drained
by Coal and Shawnee Creeks, branches of the
Wabash River, and good mill streams. Surface
slightly uneven; soil of excellent quality. The
Wabash and Erie Canal traverses this county.
Fowler, N. Y., St. Lawrence co. Drained by the
Oswegatchie River and some of its tributaries.
The surface is slightly uneven; soil mostly good.
22 miles S. from Canton, and 186 N. W. from
Foxbord1, Ms., Norfolk co. In this town are a
number of pleasant ponds, and several small
streams which empty into Taunton River. These
all produce considerable water power. The Bos-
ton and Providence Railroad passes through the
town. The depot is 2l£ miles S. S. W. from
Boston, and 19| N. by E. from Providence.
Foxcroft, Me., Piscataquis co. On the N. side
of Piscataquis River, opposite Dover. 77 miles
N. N. E. from Augusta.
Foxville, Va., Fauquier co. On the Rappahan-
nock River. 30 miles above Fredericksburg, and
116 miles N. by W. from Richmond. Here is a
white sulphur spring, and a quarry of slate. The
manufactures are considerable.
Framingham, Ms., Middlesex co. This beau-
tiful town is distinguished for its agricultural,