about 300,000 yards a week. At the woollen
factory, satinets and cassimeres are made in
large quantity. The machine shop employs over
100 hands, and turns out machinery of the best
quality, and of every description, but principally
for the cotton manufactories. But the largest
establishment, and that which excites the most
curiosity here, is one for the manufacture of iron.
These works are operated wholly by steam, and
employ between 400 and 500 hands, working up
into nails, hoops, rods, castings, &c., from 10,000
to 12,000 tons of iron annually. Fall River has
also its full share of shop manufactures. There
is likewise a manufactory of sperm oil and
The interests of navigation at this place are
also considerable. The harbor has a sufficient
depth of water for ships of the largest class, and
is capacious enough almost to accommodate the
ships of the whole world. It is one of the places
which was formerly examined, and received fa-
vorable consideration, by the government, as an
eligible site for a naval depot, especially with a
view of constructing a dry dock under the old
system. A number of vessels from this port are
engaged in the whale fishery. Those owned
here, and engaged in the coasting trade, are nu-
merous : besides a large number, some of them
of a large class, which are employed to bring
lumber, coal, iron, and other articles consumed
by the manufacturers and others in the place.
Fall River is well built. The surface being
elevated and uneven, affords fine situations for
dwellings ; and, for a manufacturing town, the
location is pleasant and healthy. The churches,
10 or 12 in number, are all of them neat, well
situated, and commodious. Several of them are
large and elegant.
This place has within its immediate vicinity
an abundance of fine granite, equal in quality to
any in the country. This granite is extensively
wrought, giving employment to numerous per-
sons. The immense fortifications at Newport
have been mainly constructed with granite ob-
tained at this place. It is also extensively used
for building purposes in the village. Some very
extensive granite buildings, particularly one for
a market and town hall, have been erected of
this material, which would suffer but little in
comparison with buildings for like purposes in
the city of Boston.
Fall River was formerly a part of Freetown,
and was incorporated by its present name about
the year 1802. Soon after, the name was changed
to Troy, and by this name the place was desig-
nated for about 30 years. But the village, which
continues to be called Fall River, becoming at
length the point of chief importance, this name
was again given to the town, by act of the legis-
On Sunday, July 2, 1843, this place was visit-
ed by one of the most destructive fires, in pro-
portion to its size, which has ever occurred in
this country. About 200 buildings, including
1 factory, 1 large hotel, and 3 churches, were
consumed. The energy and resources of the
citizens have been evinced by the rapidity with
which the place rose from its ashes, and attained
an increase even upon its former extent.
Fall River is on one of the great daily routes,
by railroad and steamboat, between Boston and
New York, and is variously connected with that
beautiful network of railroads by which all the
most important points in New England are
brought into easy communication with each
Falls, Pa., Bucks co. On the Delaware River,
opposite Trenton, and drained by Scott's and
Penn's Creeks. Surface undulating; soil loam
Falls, Pa., Wyoming co. Bounded W. by the
Susquehanna River, and drained by Buttermilk
Falls Creek, which has a perpendicular descent
of 30 feet. Surface uneven or mountainous;
soil well adapted to grass and grain. 153 miles
S. E. from Harrisburg.
Falls County, Ts. New.
Fallsburg, N. Y., Sullivan co. Neversink
River and some of the head branches of Rondout
Creek water this town. The surface is hilly;
soil mostly gravelly loam. 8 miles N. from
Monticello, and 108 S. W. from Albany.
Fallston, Pa., Beaver co. Situated on the W.
bank of Beaver River, and has good mill privi-
leges. 229 miles W. by N. from Harrisburg.
Falmouth, Kv., c. h. Pendleton co. At the junc-
tion of the main branch of Licking River with its
S. W. fork. 60 miles N. E. from Frankfort.
Falmouth, Me. See Appendix, No. 4.
Falmouth, Ms., Barnstable co. It is a pleasant
town on Vineyard Sound. Two streams afford
the town water power; also 40 ponds, some of
fresh and some of salt water, which are well
stocked with fish. The scenery around some of
these ponds is delightful; one of them is of
sufficient depth of water for ships of any class.
The Indian name of this place was Saceanesset.
Wood's Hole, in this town, lies about 4 miles S.
W. from Falmouth village. It is a good harbor,
and is much frequented by vessels, and by inva-
lids in search of sea air and bathing. 22 miles S.
W. from Barnstable, and 70 S. S. E.from Boston.
Falmouth, Va., Stafford co. On the N. side of
the Rappahannock River, just below the falls,
and 64 miles N. from Richmond. There are
large flouring establishments here.
Fannet, Pa., Franklin co. Tuscarora Creek
waters this town. Surface mountainous, having
Tuscarora Mountain on its W. border; soil cal-
careous loam and slate. 16 miles N. from Cham-
Fannin County, Ts., c. h. at Bonham. On the
north-eastern border of the state.
Farmersville, La., c. h. Union parish. On the
N. side of Bayou d'Arbonne. 333 miles N. W.
from New Orleans.
Farmersville, N. Y., Cattaraugus co. Drained
by the head waters of Genesee River. Elevated
and hilly. 274 miles W. from Albany.
Farmville, Va., Prince Edward co. On the S.
side of Appomattox River. 70 miles W. S. W.
from Richmond. A large capital and many
hands are employed in the manufacture of to-
bacco. The river is navigable for steamboats to
Farmingdale, Me., Kennebec co. Formed in
1852, from parts of Gardiner, West Gardiner, and
Farmington, Ct., Hartford co. The first set-
tlers of this town were from Hartford, being
emigrants from the neighborhood of Boston,
Ms. They located themselves, in 1640, on the
luxuriant meadows of the Tunxis, or Farming-
ton River, 10 miles W. from Hartford. The
township was purchased of the Tunxis Indians,
a numerous and warlike tribe. At its incorpo