River. 42 miles N. W. by W. from Augusta,
and 25 N. by E. from Paris. Incorporated 1803.
Dixmont, Me., Penobscot co. On the height
of land between the Kennebec and Penobscot.
44 miles N. E. from Augusta.
Dixville, N. H., Coos co., comprises 31,023
acres of uneven land. Numerous streams me-
ander through it. In this town is the celebrated
Dixville Notch, which may be regarded as one
of the most remarkable exhibitions of natural
scenery in the state. Near this Notch is a curi-
ous ravine, called the Plume. Pirst settler,
Colonel Timothy Dix, Jr. 40 miles N. N. E.
from Lancaster, and 146 N. N. E. from Concord.
Dodge County, Mi. On the N. border, middle.
On head waters of Charitan River and Loenst
and Maritime Creeks.
Dodge County, Wn., c. h. at Hustis. Bounded
N. by Marquette and Fond Du Lac counties, E.
by Fond Du Lac and Washington, S. by Wau-
kesha and Jefferson, and W. by Dane and Por-
tage counties. Watered by Rock and Beaverdam
Rivers, and Rubicon Creek. Surface level, and
in parts swampy.
Doddridge County, Va., c. h. at West Union.
N. W. part. On the height of land between the
Monongahela and Ohio. Watered by tributaries
of the latter. Hilly and rough.
Donaldsonville, La., Ascension parish. On the
S. side of the Mississippi River, just below La
Fourche Outlet, and 73 miles W. by N. from
New Orleans. Formerly the state capital.
Donegal, Pa., Butler co. Bear Creek and some
branches of Conequenessing Creek water this
town. Surface hilly and uneven, containing iron
ore and anthracite coal; soil sand, gravel, and
Donegal,, Pa., Washington co. Bush and Cas-
tleman's Runs and the Dutch Fork of Buffalo
Creek water this town. Surface hilly; soil loam.
Coal abounds here.
Donegal, Pa., Westmoreland co. 160 miles W.
Donephan, Mo., c. h. Ripley co.
Dooley County, Ga., c. h. at Vienna. Bounded
N. by Macon and Houston counties, E.by Pulaski
and Irwin, S. by Irwin and Lee counties, and W.
by Flint River, separating it from Sumpter co.
Surface elevated, and drained by branches of
Ockmulgee and Flint Rivers.
Dorchester County, Md., c. h. at Cambridge.
Bounded N. by Talbot and Caroline counties,
E. by De., S. E. and S. by Nanticoke River and
Chesapeake Bay, and W. by Chesapeake Bay.
Choptank River waters it on the N. and N. W.
Surface level; soil productive.
Dorchester, Ms., Norfolk co. This ancient and
respectable town lies on Dorchester Bay, in Bos-
ton Harbor, 5 miles S. from Boston. It was
first settled by a company of Puritans from Eng-
land. These Pilgrims landed from the ship Mary
and John, at Nantasket, on the 11th June, 1630 ;
and on the 17th day of that month they located
themselves at the Indian Mattapan, and called it
Dorchester, in honor of their pious and learned
friend, the Rev. John White, of Dorchester, in
The town included most of the territory of the
towns of Milton, Canton, Stoughton, Sharon, and
that part of Boston on which stand the celebrated
Dorchester has furnished pioneers for the set-
tlement of several important places, in different
parts of the United States. A party from this
town, in 1635, crossed the trackless wilderness by
a journey of fourteen days, and settled Hartford,
on Connecticut River. In 1695, another party
emigrated from this place, and settled Dorches-
ter, in South Carolina, and afterwards Midway,
The soil of Dorchester is encumbered with
rocks, but is very fertile, and under a high state
of cultivation. It is exceedingly productive, par-
ticularly of vegetables, fruits, and flowers. Its
surface is greatly variegated, presenting a con-
tinual succession of picturesque and delightful
views of the country, city, and sea. Its hill tops
and valleys are decked with farm houses and
tasteful villas, and nowhere can be found the
union of town and country enjoyments more
Dorchester is literally a town of villages.
Travel its fine roads which way you will, villages,
villas, and country seats, ever changing, ever
beautiful, are presented to view. A part of the
town has already been annexed to Boston, and
should fire and water continue to make steam, old
Shawmut, now crowded almost to suffocation,
will, ere the lapse of many years, sue for another
bit of Mattapan.
The beautiful Neponset washes the whole of
the southern border of the town, and besides its
navigable privileges, affords a large and valuable
water power. The first water mill in America
was erected in this town, in 1633 ; and here, about
the same time, the cod fishery, the boast of New
England, was first commenced. The manufac-
tures of Dorchester consist of cotton goods, boots,
shoes, hats, paper, cabinet, block tin, and tin
wares, leather, wearing apparel, soap, candles,
chocolate, and playing cards, the aggregate
amount of which, in one year, was about half a
million of dollars.
The most important villages for trade in Dor-
chester are those connected with the tide water.
Milton Mills, a handsome village, partly in Dor-
chester and partly in Milton, 6 miles S. by W.
from Boston, at the head of navigation on the
Neponset, and at the lower falls of that river,
contains many manufacturing establishments,
and commodious wharves for lumber, coal, &c.
Neponset village is very pleasantly situated on
the margin of Dorchester Bay, and near the
mouth of Neponset River, on the great road lead-
ing to Quincy and Plymouth. It is a place of
considerable trade, and some navigation. It ha3
steadily increased in business, population, and
wealth; and being located on good navigable
waters, within 5 miles of the city, it must soon
become an important outport of the crowded
metropolis. This village includes a beautiful
peninsula, or neck of land, called Pine Neck. In
consequence of the Old Colony Railroad passing
over it, a flourishing settlement has commenced
on this neck of land, which, by the enterprise of
its occupants, promises to become an important
place of business. Already a number of wharves
and storehouses have been erected here; also a
meeting house, a public hall, and several large
establishments for mechanical operations. Ne-
ponset, as well as Commercial Point, and other
harbors in Norfolk co., has become a port of
delivery, dependent upon the principal harbor of
Boston. By extending the Dorchester and Mil-
ton Railroad a mile and a half to the Providence
Railroad, Neponset soon will become a large de-