Incorporated in 1802. Bounded N. by Eranklin
co., E. by Ohio., S. by Ohio co., and W. by Rip-
ley county. It is watered by Great Miami and
Whitewater Rivers, and several small creeks.
Surface rough and hilly, with fertile bottom lands
on the borders of the streams.
Dearbornville, Mn., Dearborn, Wayne co. On
the S. branch of Rouge River. 10 miles W. from
Detroit. A United States arsenal is located here.
Deblnis, Me., Washington co. On the upper
waters of the Narraguagus. 50 miles S. E. from
Decatur County, Ga., c. h. at Bainbridge. Wa-
tered by the Chattahoochee River, separating it
from Fa. and Aa., on the W. Surface somewhat
uneven; soil rather barren.
Decatur, Ga., c. h. De Kalb co. 90 miles N.
W. from Milledgeville. Situation elevated and
healthy. It is the point of junction of the lines
of railroad from Augusta, and from Savannah,
via Macon, and the united line which runs across
the northern boundary of the state by Chitta-
nooga to Nashville, in Te.
Decatur County, la., c. h. at Greensburg. In-
corporated 1821. Bounded N. by Rush co., E.
by Franklin, S. by Ripley and Jennings, and W.
by Bartholomew and Shelby counties. It is wa-
tered by Flat Rock, Clifty, and Sand Creeks, all
mill streams. Surface slightly undulating; soil
Decatur, la., c. h. Adams co. On the S. W.
•ide of Wabash River. 132 miles N. E. from In-
Decatur County, Io., c. h. at Decatur. On the
southern border, middle.
Decatur, Mi., c. h. Newton co. At the head of
Chickasawha River. 76 miles from Jackson.
Decatur, N. Y., Otsego co. Elk Creek and some
other small streams water this town. The sur-
face is elevated and hilly; soil sandy loam. 64
miles W. from Albany, and 12 S. E. from Coo-
Decatur, Pa., Mifflin co. Watered by Jack's
Creek, a tributary of the Juniata River. Surface
mountainous; soil gravel and slate. 14 miles
N. E. from Lewistown.
Decatur County, Te. New. Western part of
Dedham, Me., Hancock co., adjoins Ellsworth.
Union River passes through its N. W. corner.
Dedham, Ms., Norfolk co. This is the shire
town of the county, and has a varied surface and
good soil. The court house in this town is a
beautiful building. It has a Doric portico, with
four granite columns on each front. This town
is finely watered by Charles River, on its western
border, by Neponset River on the E., and by
Mother Brook, so called — a canal or raceway
for a mill of about 3 miles in length, passing
from the Charles to the Neponset. This was the
first canal made in the United States. It was
commenced and accomplished within ten years
after the first settlement of Boston. Dedham
is noted for its good hydraulic power. Dedham
village is very pleasant. A branch railroad from
the village meets the Boston and Providence
Railroad. 10 miles S. W. from Boston, and 35
N. W. from Plymouth.
Deep River, Ct.. Middlesex co. A village of
Saybrook, on Connecticut River, at the mouth of
Deep River. 33 miles S. by E. from Hartford.
Deerfield, Ms., Franklin co., lies on the W.
bank of Connecticut River. Deerfield River meets
the Connecticut at this place, and spreads out
a large body of fine alluvial land, in the centre
of the town, encircling a village of great beauty.
This is said to be the oldest town in the county,
and was called by the Indians Pocumtuck. It
was granted by the General Court to a company
at Dedham, in 1669; and a settlement was com-
menced in P670. From the mountains in this
vicinity delightful views are obtained. Deerfield
Mountain, which separates the Connecticut River
from the Deerfield Meadows, is 700 feet above
the plain. Sugar Loaf Mountain, which forms
the southern termination of the Deerfield Moun-
tain. rears its conical peak of red sandstone 500
feet above the river. Just at the foot of the
Sugar Loaf, at Bloody Brook, a company of
young men, from the county of Essex, were
slain by an ambush of Indians, during Philip's
war, in 1675. A monument has been erected to
their memory. Deerfield extends for several
miles along the banks of the Connecticut, and
is traversed through its entire length by the
Connecticut River Railroad, which crosses the
Deerfield River by a remarkable viaduct. South
Deerfield, or Bloody Brook, is a thriving village,
in which are a variety of miscellaneous manu-
factures. In the village of Cheapside, north of
Deerfield River and adjoining Greenfield, is
a manufactory of cutlery. The railroad from
Greenfield to Boston passes through this vil-
lage. 90 miles W. by N. from Boston, and 4 S.
Deerfield, N. H., Rockingham co. This town
has a number of ponds which afford fish. Moul-
ton's is noted for having no visible inlet; also on
account of having been sounded without discov-
ering any bottom. A branch of Lamprey River
passes through Deerfield. The surface is uneven;
soil durable and fertile, though hard to cultivate.
The Luekaway, Saddleback, and Fort Mountains,
are the principal elevations. In the W. part of the
town is a natural formation in a ridge of rocks,
designated Indian Camp." On the E. side of
this camp is a natural flight of steps. Deerfield
was once a place of resort for deer. While the
petition for the town was pending, a Mr. Batch-
elder killed a deer, and, presenting it to Govern-
or Wentworth, obtained the act under the name
of Deer-field. First settlers, John Robertson, Ja-
cob Smith, Isaac Shephard, Benjamin Batchelder,
and others, in 1756. Distances, 18 miles E. S.
E. from Concord, and 30 W. by N. from Ports-
Deerfiield, N. J., Cumberland co. Cohansey
Creek, and Muddy Run, a branch of Maurice Riv-
er, water this town. Surface level; soil chiefly
clay and gravel.
Deerfield, N. Y., Oneida co. Watered by the
Mohawk, and a few small streams. The surface
is rather hilly; the soil very productive in the val-
ley of the Mohawk. 4 miles N. from Utica, and
94 N. W. from Albany.
Deerfield, Pa., Tioga co. Watered by Cowa-
nesque Creek and Marsh, a branch of Crooked
Creek. Surface hilly; soil gravelly loam.
Deer Isle, Me., Hancock co., comprises three
principal islands, Deer, Little Deer, and Isle of
Haut, containing 17,000 acres. They have good
harbors, and are well located for the shore fishing.
75 miles E. by S. from Augusta.
Deering, N. H., Hillsboro' co. This town
is diversified, well watered, and its soil is favora-
ble for agriculture. There are three ponds, Dud-