Darlington District, S. C., c. h. at Darlington.
Bounded N. E. by the Great Pedee River, sepa-
rating it from Marlboro' co., S. E. by Marion co.,
S.W. by Lynches Creek, separating it from Sump-
ter co., and N. W. by Chesterfield co. Surface
slightly uneven; soil rather poor, except 011 the
borders of the streams, where it is very productive.
Darlington, S. C., c. h. Darlington district. Sit-
uated a little W. of Black Creek, a branch of Great
Pedee Eiver, and 129 miles E. S. E. from Co-
Darrtown, 0., Butler co. 109 miles S. W. by
W. from Columbia. In the neighborhood of this
place is a mineral spring of some note.
Dartmouth, Ms., Bristol co. Dartmouth lies
on Buzzard's Bay, near its mouth, and has a
number of small inlets from the bay and some
good harbors. It has some small streams, the
principal of which is the Pamansat. Its Indian
name was Apeniganset. The surface is uneven,
but the soil is good for agricultural purposes.
There are three villages in the town — Smith's
Mills, North Dartmouth, and South Dartmouth ;
the latter is called Padan Aram, and is situated
at the head of Apeniganset Bay. Vast quanti-
ties of fish, principally menhaden, are taken in
Buzzard's Bay, and brought to this town, for the
purpose of manuring the land. 5 miles S. W.
from New Bedford, and 60 from Boston.
Dauphin County, Pa., c. h. at Harrisburg.
Bounded N. by Northumberland and Schuyler
counties, E. by Lebanon, S. by York, and W. by
the Susquehanna River, separating it from Perry
co. Drained by Mahantango, Powell's, and
Swatara Creeks. Surface hilly and mountainous ;
soil fertile. The Pennsylvania Canal and the
Union Canal traverse this county.
Davenport, Io., c. h. Scott co. On the W. jside
of the Mississippi River, at the foot of the Lower
Rapids, opposite the flourishing village of Rock
Island, in Is. Important as the only feasible
point to bridge the Mississippi. It is the seat of
Davenport, N. Y., Delaware co. Charlotte
River, and some of its tributaries, water this town.
The surface is hilly ; soil argillaceous loam. 14
miles N. from Delhi, and 63 W. from Albany.
Davidson County, N. C., c. h. at Lexington.
Bounded N. by Stokes county, E. by Guilford
and Randolph, S. by Montgomery and Rowan,
and W. by Rowan and Davie counties. Drained
by several small streams flowing into the Yadkin
River, which traverses the "YV. part of this county.
Surface undulating; soil productive.
Davidson College, N. C., Mecklenburg co. The
seat of Davidson College. 150 miles W. by'S.
from Raleigh. See Colleges.
Davidson County, Te., c. h. at Nashville.
Bounded N. by Robertson co., E. by Sumner and
Wilson, S. by Rutherford and Williamson, and
W. by Dickson co. Watered by Cumberland
River, which passes through the county from E.
to W., and by Harpeth, White's, Stone's, and
Poplar Creeks. Surface slightly uneven; soil
of good quality.
Davie County, N. C., c. h. at Mocksville. Bound-
ed N. by Surry co., E. by the Yadkin River, sepa-
rating it from Davidson co., S. by Rowan co., and
W. by Iredell co. Surface undulating, and drained
by the branches of the Yadkin River; soil ex-
Davies County, la. c. h. at Washington. In-
corporated in 1816. Bounded N. by Green co.,
E. by Martin, and S. and W. by the two forks of
White River, separating it from Dubois, Pike,
and Knox counties. Drained by the tributaries
of White River. Surface level or undulating,
consisting partly of prairies; soil mostly fertile.
Daviess County, Ky., c. h. at Owenboro'. Bound-
ed N. by the Ohio River, separating it from la.,
E. by Hancock and Ohio counties, and S. and
W. by Green River, separating it from Muhlen-
burg, Madison, and Henderson counties. Drained
by small branches of Ohio and Greene Rivers.
Daviess County, Mo., c. h. at Gallatin. Bounded
N. by Harrison co., E. by Grundy and Livings-
ton, S. by Caldwell, and W. by De Kalb and
Gentry counties. Surface undulating, and wa-
tered by the W. fork of Grand River; soil fertile.
Davis County, Io., c. h. at Bloomfield. On
the southern border, E.
Day, N. Y., Saratoga co. Sacandaga River
passes through this town. The surface is moun-
tainous, the Ivayaderasseras range extending
across it. The valley of the Sacandaga contains
the most fertile soil. 55 miles N. from Albany,
and 25 N. W. from Ballston Spa.
Dayton, N. Y., Cattaraugus co. Watered by
Connewango Creek and some of its tributaries.
The surface is undulating; the soil favorable to
the growth of grass and grain. 302 miles W.
from Albany, and 20 N. W. from Ellicottville.
Dayton, 0. City and seat of justice of Mont-
gomery co. On the Great Miami River, at the
mouth of Mad River, 50 miles N. from Cincin-
nati, and 68 W. by S. from Columbus. The
Miami Canal from Cincinnati to Lake Erie passes
through this place. Population in 1810, 383;
1820,1139; 1830,2954; 1840,6067; 1850,10,996.
Dayton is one of the largest places in the interior
of the state. There is a large water power with-
in its corporate limits, and a still greater within
the immediate vicinity. The principal manu-
factories in operation here are cotton and woollen
factories, flouring mills, saw mills, oil mills, paper
mills, iron founderies, and machine shops, and
shops for the manufacture of clocks, scythes,
gun barrels, flooring machines, &e. The amount
of capital invested in these various operations is
large. By the assessment of 1846, Dayton was
the second city in the state in the amount of tax-
able property. Its progress was very gradual
from its settlement in 1796 to 1812, when the war
with Great Britain, making it a thoroughfare for
troops and military stores on their way to the
frontier, gave a great impulse to its prosperity.
The construction of the Miami Canal has se-
cured to it, of late years, a rapid and healthful
The court house in Dayton is the most costly
and elegant in Ohio, being constructed of cut
stone, upon a beautiful Grecian model, sur-
mounted by a handsome cupola. It cost between
$60,000 and $70,000. The other public build-
ings are a jail, of stone, a city hall, two acade-
mies, several banks, and a number of church
edifices, which are elegant specimens of archi-
tecture. Many of the private residences are
tasteful, and beautifully situated. The Cooper
Female Academy has a spacious edifice, three
stories high, for its accommodation. There are
nine turnpike roads centring at Dayton, and
connecting it with different parts of the country.
Deanfield, Me., Hancock co. Between Passa-
dumkeag River and Olammon Stream.
Dearborn County, la., c. h. at Lawrenceville.