was the road selected by nature's civil engineers,"
the buffalo and the eik, for their western travel.
The Indians followed them in the same trail;
then the traders; next the settlers came. The
estimation in which this route is held may well
be judged by any one who will take the trouble
to look over the volume of recommendations
from emigrants, traders, and Indian agents.
Coventry, Ct., Tolland co. The Wangombog,
a beautiful pond, and the Skungamug, Hop, and
Willimantic Rivers, give Coventry a good water
power. This town was first settled in 1700.
The surface is uneven, and the soil a gravelly
loam. 18 miles E. from Hartford.
Coventry, N. Y., Chenango co. Drained by
Harper's' and Kelsey's Creeks, branches of the
Susquehanna River. The surface is hilly; soil
sandy loam, suitable for the growth of grass. 16
miles S. from Norwich, and 117 S. W.from Albany.
Coventry, Pa., Chester co. On the Tioga River.
Surface hilly, abounding with coal and iron; soil
clay and gravelly loam.
Coventry, R. I., Kent co. This is a very large
township, extending to the N. line of Connecti-
cut, and admirably watered by numerous ponds,
and by Flat River, an important branch of the
Pawtucket, Coventry has long been noted for
the number and variety of its manufactures, par-
ticularly of cotton and wool. The soil of the
town is well adapted to agricultural pursuits.
There are a number of pleasant villages in Cov-
entry, all of which are flourishing, both in manu-
facturing and trade. 10 miles S. W. from Provi-
Coventry, Yt., Orleans co. Barton and Black
Rivers run northerly through this town into
Memphremagog Lake. There are good mill
privileges in this town on Black River, and like-
wise on some of the smaller streams. The other
waters are the S. bay of Lake Memphremagog,
and two small ponds. The soil is generally good.
Its timber is mostly maple and beech. The
western part of the town is somewhat broken, but
not mountainous. The village is situated at the
falls in Black River, in the S. W. part of the
town, and is in a flourishing state. The first
settlement commenced about the year 1800. 4
miles N. from Irasburg, and 46 N. E. from
Covert, N. Y., Seneca co. On the W. side of
Seneca Lake, and watered by several small
streams flowing into the lake. The surface is
high and level; the soil fertile. 177 miles W.
Covington County, Aa., c. h. at Montezuma. On
the S. border. Watered by Conecuh, Yellow
Water, and Pea Rivers. Soil rather sterile.
Covington, Ga., c. h. Newton co. About 3 miles
E. from Yellow River, a branch of Oekmulgee
River, and 61 miles N. W. from Milledgeville.
The site of Emery College. See Colleges.
Covington, la., c. h. Fountain co. On the E.
bank of the Wabash. 74 miles W. N. W. from
Covington, Ky. City, Kenton co. Situated on
the S. bank of the Ohio, at the mouth of Licking
River, directly opposite Cincinnati. 85 miles S.
E. from Frankfort. It is built upon a beautiful
plain, several miles in extent, and the streets are
go laid out as to correspond with those of Cincin-
nati, and appear a continuation of them, with
only the river interposed. Many persons doing
business in Cincinnati are induced, by the facili-
ties of crossing the river by steam ferry boats,
which is here about 600 yards wide, to make their
residence in Covington; and this tendency will
doubtless much increase hereafter with the growth
of Cincinnati, and the greater difficulty and ex-
pense of obtaining residences near the centre of
business. It has, moreover, a large business of
its own, consisting of various manufacturing es-
tablishments, and large operations in pork.
The principal public buildings of Covington
are a spacious City Hall, two female academies,
the Western Baptist Theological Seminary, and
several handsome church edifices. The Metho-
dists and Roman Catholics have each two churches
here; and the Presbyterians, Baptists; Episco-
palians, and the Reformed, or Christian Baptists,
one each. The Theological Seminary is a well-
endowed institution, and is now in a flourishing
condition. It is under the patronage of the West-
ern Baptist Education Society. The buildings
are pleasantly located in the centre of a square
containing 10 acres, upon elevated ground, over-
looking Cincinnati and the surrounding villages.
When the plan of construction is fully carried
out, there will be two theological buildings, like
the'one which is now erected, 120 feet long by 46
feet deep, four stories high, with a large and ele-
gant chapel between them. Covington is rapidly
increasing, and is destined, probably, to be the
largest city in Kentucky. Population in 1840,
2026; in 1850, about 10.000. Newport, with 7000
inhabitants, adjoins it on the opposite side of the
Licking, making in fact one town.
Covington, La., c. h. St. Tammany parish. On
a small river which flows into Lake Pontchar-
train. 45 miles N. from New Orleans.
Covington County, Mi., c. h. at Williamsburg.
S. central. Watered by branches of Leaf, a
tributary of the Pascagoula River. Soil mostly
of indifferent quality.
Covington, N. Y., Wyoming co. Watered by
Allen's Creek. The surface is rolling, the soU
fertile. 241 miles W. from Albany.
Covington, Pa., Luzerne co. The Lehigh River
forms the S. E. and S. boundary of this town.
Covington, Ya., c. h. Alleghany co. Among
the mountains, on Jackson's River, near the
junction of Pott's Creek. 196 miles W. from
Cowdensport, Pa., c. h. Potter co.
Coweta County, Ga., c. h. at Newman. W. cen-
tral. Between the head waters of Flint River
and the Chattahoochee.
Coivpens, S. C., Spartanburg district. This
place, which lies between Pacolet and Broad
Rivers, is famous for the battle of Cowpens,
which was fought in its vicinity, January 11,
1781. 117 miles N. W. from Columbia.
Coxsackie, N. Y., Greene co. On the W. bank
of the Hudson River, and watered by several
small streams. The surface of the E. part is
level, and the W. hilly. 22 miles S. from Albany.
Craftsbury, Vt., Orleans co. This township is
well watered by Black River, which is formed
here, and by its several branches, which afford
numerous mill privileges. The Indian name of
this river was Elligosigo. Wild Branch passes
through the W. part of this township. There
are five natural ponds, viz., Elligo, Great Hosmer,
Little Hosmer, and two smaller ponds. The
geology of this town is in many respects interest-
ing, and, in some, peculiar. Few areas of the
same space, in a region of primary rocks, furnish