Surface uneven, and drained by Cadron and Point
Conway, Ms., Franklin co. South and Bear
Itivers, tributaries of Deerfield River, give to
Conway an excellent water power. The surface
is uneven, and in some parts quite elevated; the
soil is strong. The village, in the centre of the
town, is located in a small valley, between Beal's
and Billing's Hills; it is very neat and picturesque.
8 miles S. W. from Greenfield, and 98 W. N.
W. from Boston.
Conway, N. H., Carroll co. Swift, Pequaukett
Rivers, and another stream, discharge themselves
into Saco River, in this town. Saco River here
is from 10 to 12 rods wide, and about 2 feet
deep; its current rapid, and broken by falls.
Walker's, and Little Pequaukett Ponds are in this
town. There is a detached block of granite on
the southern side of Pine Hill, the largest per-
haps in the state. There is a sulphur spring on
the bank of Cold Brook. The land, when well
cultivated, produces large crops of corn and rye.
Daniel Foster, in 1765, obtained a grant of this
township, on condition that each grantee should
pay a rent of one ear of Indian corn annually,
for the' space of ten years, if demanded. Con-
way is a great resort for travellers from the S. E.
to the White Mountains, for whom there are
good accommodations. See Fashionable Resorts.
Settled in 1764, '8 and '9. 76 miles N. N. E. from
Conwayboro', S. C., c. h. Horry district. On
the W. bank of Waccamaw River, at the head of
steamboat navigation, and 196 miles E. by S.
Cook County, Is., c. h. Chicago. In the N. E.
corner of the state, on Lake Michigan. Calu-
met, Chicago, and Des Plaines Rivers water this
county. Surface undulating, and in parts marshy.
Cook County, Ts. New.
Coolbaughls, Pa., Monroe co. 138 miles N. E.
Cool Spring, Pa., Mercer co. Watered by Cool
Spring and Otter Creeks, branches of Neshanock
River. W. N. W. from Harrisburg 175 miles.
Cooper County, Mo., c. h. at Booneville. Central.
On the S. bank of the Missouri. Watered by La
Mine and Little Saline Rivers and Manitou Creek.
Surface undulating; soil of excellent quality.
Cooper, Me., Washington co. Denny's River,
emptying into Meddybemps Lake, and both dis-
charging into the River St. Croix at Baring, water
the N. part of this town. It lies 164 miles E. N. E.
from Augusta, and about 36 miles N. from Machias.
Cooperstown, N. Y., c. h. Otsego co. Beautifully
located on a plain at the outlet of Otsego Lake.
69 miles W. from Albany. There is here a very
fine water power.
Coos County, N. H., c. h. at Lancaster. N. part
of the state! Coos is the largest county in N. H.,
and within its limits are situated most of the un-
granted lands. Large portions are mountainous
and cannot be cultivated. It is 76 miles in length,
and about 20 in width. Besides the stupendous
pile of the White Mountains, in this county, there
are several other mountains of no inconsider-
able height. Three of the principal rivers in New
England, the Connecticut, Androscoggin, and
Saco, take their rise in this county. Umbagog
Lake, the source of the Androscoggin, lies partly
in this county, though most of it is in Maine. Lake
Connecticut is situated N. of lat. 45°, and is one
of the sources of Connecticut River.
Coosa County, Aa., c. h. at Rockford. E. cen-
tral, between the Tallapoosa and Coosa. Drained
by Hatchet, Paint, and Wawakee Creeks, branches
of the Coosa. Surface varied; soil productive.
Copake, N. Y., Columbia co. Drained by An-
cram Creek, which flows through several small
lakes. The E. part of the town is hilly, and on
the W. is a broad valley, the soil of which is very
fertile. 17 miles S. E. from Hudson, and 47 S.
S. E. from Albany.
Copenhagen, N. Y., Lewis co. On Deer River,
which, half a mile below this place, has a nearly
perpendicular descent of 175 feet. 149 miles N.
W. from Albany.
Copiah County, Mi., c. h. at Gallatin. In the S.
W. part of the state, on the W. side of Pearl
River. Bayou Pierre and the head branches
of Homochito River traverse this county.
Copper Harbor, Mn., Houghton co. In lat. 47°
28' and Ion. 88° 45', near the extremity of Kee-
waiwona Point, which projects nearly into the
middle of Lake Superior from its southern shore.
It is a tolerably safe retreat for small vessels and
steamboats, and is of importance on that account,
but it is not sufficiently near to the working mines
to be supported by any business population. A
post office, and a tavern, with a few humble
dwellings, is all that this place can boast of.
This harbor was well known to the French mis-
sionaries 230 years ago, and the green silicate of
copper or chrvsocolla, which formed the outcrop
of the black oxide of copper vein, was described
by those missionaries in a work published in
Paris, in 1626. In 1845, this mine was opened by
the Boston and Pittsburg Mining Company, but
it was soon exhausted of its ore, the lode having
been cut off by a bed of fine-grained red sand-
stone, as had been predicted it would be by the
geologist who first surveyed the mining regions
of Keewaiwona Point. The mine was therefore
soon after abandoned, and no more black oxide
of copper has been found there.
The rocks at Copper Harbor are a coarse con-
glomerate, a pudding stone, fine red sandstone,
and trap rocks, mostly of an amygdaloidal struc-
ture, the latter skirting the coast, and forming
the capes and headlands. Copper Harbor is now
distinguished from other places on Keewaiwo-
na Point for the absence of copper, which is so
abundant at Eagle River, and Eagle Harbor, 18
or 20 miles to the westward of it.
Corinna, Me., Somerset co. Situated 53 miles
W. N. W. from Augusta, and about 35 N. W.
from Norridgewock. Incorporated 1816.
Corinth, Me., Penobscot co. 81 miles N. by W.
from Augusta. Watered by the Kenduskeag. A
Corinth, N. Y., Saratoga co. Situated on the
W. side of the Hudson River. The surface is roll-
ing ; soil sandy. 16 miles N.from Ballston Spa,
and 49 N. from Albany.
Corinth, Yt., Orange co. The surface is gen-
erally very uneven and broken, and the elevations
abrupt; yet the land is, in almost every part, sus-
ceptible of cultivation. The soil consists of a
dark loam, mixed with some sand. Some miner-
als are found here. This township is well wa-
tered by Wait's River and several of its branches.
On North Branch, in the N. E. corner of the
town, is East Village, first settled in 1777, by
Ezekiel Colby and family. 20 miles S. E. from
Montpelier, and 10 N. E. from Chelsea. The
Central and Passumpsic Railroads pass near.