Concord, and 20 S. E. from Windsor, Vt. A
railroad from Boston to Burlington, Vt., now
passes through this delightful town.
Charlestown, Pa.. Chester co. A township on
» the Susquehanna River. 82 miles E. from Har-
Charlestown, R. I., Washington co., lies on the
sea, opposite to Block Island. It has five large
ponds, which cover an area of seven square miles.
Charlestown and Conaquetogue Ponds are salt
water, and Fosquissett, Watchaug, and Cochum-
paug are fresh water. These waters afford a
great variety of fish. Near the sea, the land is
arable, but the interior of the town is more fit
for the growth of wood. This town contains the
graves of the remnant of the tribe of the once
powerful and dreaded Narraganset Indians. They
possessed a considerable tract of land in this
town, but owing to a dislike to agricultural pur-
suits, and by intermarriages with the whites and
negroes, their race as a distinct people has long
since become extinct. Charles River passes
through the to.wn, and gives it mill privileges.
Charlestown lies about 8 miles W. S. W. from
Sondi Kingston, and 40 S. W. from Providence.
Charloe, O., c. h. Paulding co. 137 miles N. W.
Charlotte, Me., Washington co. Incorporated
1825. About 25 miles N. W. from Machias, and
184 E. by N. from Augusta.
Charlotte, N. C., c. h. Mecklenburg co. On
the E. side of Sugar Creek, a branch of Catawba
River, and 158 miles S. W. from Raleigh. Near
this place are rich gold mines, and a branch mint
is established here.
Charlotte, N. Y., Chautauque co. Drained by
Cassadaga Creek and its tributaries. Surface
undulating; soil adapted to the growth of grass
and grain. 13 miles E. from Mayville, and 320
S. of W. from Albany.
Charlotte, N. Y., Monroe co. At the mouth of
Genesee River, 7 miles below Rochester, some-
times called Port Genesee. W. N. W. from
Albany 224 miles. The steamboats between
Lewiston and Oswego stop here.
Charlotte, Te., c. h. Dickson co. 35 miles W.
Charlotte, Vt., Chittenden co. This township
is pleasantly situated on the lake shore, and is
watered by the River Laplott and Lewis Creek.
In the western part of the town the soil is excel-
lent. There are no elevations which deserve the
name of mountain, but a range of considerable
hills runs through the centre of the town. 49
miles W. from Montpelier, and 11 S. from Bur-
lington. The Burlington and Rutland Railroad
passes through it. In August, 1849, nearly the
entire skeleton of a whale was found in this
town, embedded in blue clay, 8 feet below the
surface. The locality is 60 feet above Lake
Champlain, 150 feet above the sea, and more than
150 miles from the nearest part of the present
ocean. The animal was 13 feet long, and was
ascertained to belong to the living genus beluga.
Charlotte County, Va., c. h. at Charlotte. S. E.
central. Watered by Little Roanoke River. Soil
rich, yielding large quantities of grain, tobacco,
Charlotte, Va., c. h. Charlotte co., (formerly
called Marysville,) lies 3 miles from Little
Roanoke River, and one and a half miles from
Ward's Fork. W. S. W. from Richmond 98 miles.
Charlottesville, Va., c. k. Albemarle co. On
Moore's Creek, 2 miles from its junction with
Rivanna River, and 85 N. W. from Richmond.
This is the seat of the University of Virginia.
(See Colleges.) The place has a considerable water
power, on which there are flour and other mills
Connected with Richmond by the Central Rail-
Charlton, Ms., Worcester co. The lands in
this town are elevated and rough, but the soil is
strong and rich, and well adapted for agricultural
purposes. Many small streams rise in the high-
lands, and form the head branches of the Quin-
nebaug, by which the south-western part of the
town is watered. The water power is good.
Charlton was taken from Oxford in 1754. 13
miles S. W. from Worcester, and 57 W. S. W.
from Boston, by the Western Railroad.
Charlton, N. Y., Saratoga co. Watered by
Aelplass Creek, a tributary of the Mohawk Riv-
er. Surface undulating; soil mostly productive.
8 miles W. from Ballston Spa, and 24 miles
N. W. from Albany.
Chartiers, Pa., Washington co., situated on
the N. side of Chartier's Creek, is a hilly town,
with a loamy soil. Coal is found here in large
Chateaugay, N. Y., Franklin co. Chateaugay
River and its tributaries water this town, which
is bounded on the N. by Canada. The surface
is hilly; soil clay and sandy loam. 200 miles N.
Chatham, Ct., Middlesex co. The township
of Chatham embraces the greater part of Middle
Haddam parish, the parish of East Hampton, and
a part of the parish of West Chester. It lies
opposite to Middletown, from which it was taken
in 1767. Chatham is watered by Salmon and
Pine Brooks, and several ponds.
Chatham County, Ga., c. h. at Savannah. In
the southern angle, between the Savannah River
and the Atlantic. Surface low and level. Rice,
sugar, and cotton are the chief productions.
Chatham, Ms., Barnstable co. The soil is
rather better than is generally found on this part
of Cape Cod. Its surface consists of sand hills,
with narrow valleys between them, ponds, and
swamps. The harbor of Chatham, after being
closed by a beach 25 feet high, covered with beach
grass, and a mile in length, has lately been
opened again, in consequence of a violent storm.
30 handsome ponds supply this town with soft
and pure water. The village is elevated and
pleasant. In a fair day, Nantucket can be seen
without a glass, 20 miles. Its Indian name was
Manamoyit. It was first settled about 1665.
Chatham lies on the S. side of the cape, 20 miles
E. from Barnstable.
Chatham County, N. C., c. h. at Pittsboro'.
Central. Watered by the Cape Fear River, and
by the Haw and Deep, its head branches. Sur-
face undulating; soil fertile, yielding good crops
of wheat, cotton, and tobacco.
Chatham, N. H., Carroll co. On the E. side
of the White Mountains, and adjoining the line
which divides this state from Maine. There
are several ponds here, and some considerable
streams. The surface is mountainous and rocky.
Between Chatham and Jackson, Carter's Moun-
tain rises so high as to prevent the opening of a
road; so that to have intercourse with the rest
of the county, the inhabitants are obliged to pass
through part of the state of Maine. Chatham
was granted to Peter Livius and others, February