Hayward’s United States Gazetteer (1853) page 316

Click on the image for a larger version suitable for printing.


Page 315 ...Page 317

Note: Ctrl and + increases the font size of the text below, Ctrl and - decreases it, and Ctrl and 0 resets it to default size.


of the town, upon a swell of land so elevated, that
at a distance it presents the appearance of a sheet
of water on a hill. It is 400 rods in length, and
200 in width, and is surrounded by a ridge or
mound. It is from 4 to 5 feet high, and is found
to have been produced by the drifting of the
ice, when breaking up in the spring. Besides
this, there are Goose, Clarks', Mud, and Bear
Ponds. The soil is fertile, and the land capable of
cultivation. It derives its name from Canaan in
Connecticut. First settlers, 1776, George Harris,
Thomas Miner, Joshua Harris, Samuel Jones, and
Samuel Meacham. 16 miles E. from Dartmouth
College, and 52 N. W. from Concord by railroad.

Canaan, N. Y., Columbia co. Some of the
branches of Kinderhook Creek water this town.
Surface hilly and mountainous. 20 miles N. E.
from Hudson, and 24 S. E. from Albany.

Canaan, Pa., Wayne co. Some branches of
the Lackawaxen water this town, and the Car-
bondale and Ilonesdale Railroad traverses it.
Surface somewhat mountainous; soil loam and
gravel. N. E. from Harrisburg 159 miles.

Canaan, Yt., Essex co. Canaan lies opposite
Stewart-sown, N. H. The north-east corner of the
town is, the most easterly land in Vermont. Feb-
ruary 26, 1782, it received a new charter, and Oc-
tober 23, 1801, the town of Norfolk was annexed
to it. The Connecticut River bounds it on the E.
Willard's Brook, &c., afford good mill privileges.
There is some fine intervale on the Connecticut,
and much good land in other parts. 35 miles N.
from Guildhall, and 103 N. E. from Montpelier.

Canadice, N. Y., Ontario co. Watered by
Honeoye, Canadice, and Hemlock Lakes. The
surface is quite hilly; the soil fertile in some por-
tions. 18 miles
S. W. from Canandaigua, and 216
W. from Albany.

Canajoharie, N. Y., Montgomery co. On the
S. side of the Mohawk River, and watered by
Bowman's and Otsquake Creeks. Surface hilly;
soil strong sandy loam. 10 miles W. from Fonda,
and 55 N. of W. from Albany.

Canandaigua, N. Y. Shire town of Ontario co.
This township contains a considerable portion of
Canandaigua Lake. Its surface is diversified with
hills and plains; the soil is fertile, and generally
under high cultivation.

The village of Canandaigua, incorporated in
1815, is pleasantly situated at the outlet of the
lake, 224 miles by railroad W. from Albany, and
104 E. from Buffalo. The ground on which it is
built descends gently towards the lake, presenting
a fine view of the water from the village. Two
parallel streets, which run N. and S., and are
crossed at right angles by several others, constitute
tire principal streets; having a fine public square
at the centre, on which are located the court
house and other public buildings.

There is a classical academy at Canandaigua, in
which a very thorough course of studies is pur-
sued ; also the Ontario Female Seminary, founded
in 1825, which enjoys a high reputation. There
are churches of the Presbyterian, Episcopal, Meth-
odist, and Baptist denominations. A state ar-
senal is located here. Many of the mansions of
the citizens are large and elegant, and are sur-
rounded by beautiful trees and gardens, giving an
air of superior wealth and refinement to the place.

The first land office in Western New York for
the sale of lands to settlers was opened at Canan-
daigua, in 1789, by Oliver Phelps, who, with Na-
thaniel Gorham, was a leading pioneer in the pur-
chase, survey, and settlement of this part of West-
ern New York. The system which he conceived,
of surveying lands by
townships, and numbering
them in
ranges, from a given line, became the
model for surveying all the public lands of the
United States. Canandaigua, for example, was
township number ten in the third range. Canan-
daigua village also was laid out by Messrs. Phelps
and Gorham, who lived and died here, and by their
liberal benefactions in founding the classical acad-
emy above mentioned, have left behind them
an honorable memorial to all succeeding gener-

Candia, N. H., Rockingham co. 15 miles from
Concord, on the height of land between the Mer-
rimac and the ocean. Site elevated; soil hard.

Candor, N. Y., Tioga co. Watered by Catto-
tong and West Owego Creeks. Hilly; soil mostly
rich loam. 8 miles N. from Owego, and 177 S.
W. from Albany.

Caneadea, N. Y., Alleghany co. On each side
of Genesee River, and watered by several of its
small tributaries. The E. and W. parts of the
town are hilly, becoming more level on the bor-
ders of the river. Soil clay and sandy loam.
267 miles W. from Albany.

Canisteo, N. Y., Steuben co. Watered by Can-
isteo River and some of its tributaries. The
surface is very uneven; soil good, the valley of
the Canisteo consisting of rich alluvial flats. 241
miles S. W. from Albany.

Cannon County, Te., c. h. at Woodbury. Cen-
tral. Surface hilly, and watered by some tributa-
ries of Cumberland River; soil fertile.

Canterbury, Ct., Windham co. The first set-
tlers of this town were principally from Dor-
chester, Ms., and its neighborhood. They came
here about the year 1690. The soil of the town
is a gravelly loam, generally fertile and produc-
tive. The Quinnebaug is here a large and beau-
tiful stream. It annually overflows its banks, and
fertilizes a large tract upon its borders. There is
fine fishing in Bates's Pond.

Canterbury, N. H., Merrimac co. On Merrimac
River. Uneven. Soil generally good. In the
S. E. part is a village of Shakers.

Canton, Ct., Hartford co. First settled 1740;
incorporated 1806; taken from Simsbury. Col-
linsville is the principal village in the town. This
village presents a beautiful appearance, and is a
noble specimen of individual enterprise. The soil
of Canton is coarse and stony, and the surface
hilly. Farmington River passes through its S.
W. corner. In Collinsville is an extensive axe
manufactory, with machinery of unsurpassed ex-

Canton, Me., Oxford co. Incorporated 1821. It
lies on both sides of the Androscoggin River, 32
miles W. N. W. from Augusta, and 24 N. E. from

Canton, Ms., Norfolk co. This town was for-
merly the first parish in the old town of Stough-
ton. The Indian name was Punkapog. The
natural scenery of this town is beatifully diversi-
fied and picturesque. Punkapog Pond is a beau-
tiful little lake, and affords fine fishing. Blue
Hill, 630 feet above the level of the sea, and
the highest land near the sea-coast of Ms., is partly
in this town and partly in Milton. From its
summit there is a magnificent view of the me-
tropolis and its harbor, of the ocean and the sur-
rounding country. The E. branch of Neponset
River, and several large ponds and reservoirs,

This page is written in HTML using a program written in Python 3.2, and image-to-HTML-text by ABBYY FineReader 11 Professional Edition.