are two large ship houses for the protection of
naval vessels of the largest class when building,
together with extensive workshops, and every
requisite for a great naval depot. There is con-
nected with this establishment an important liter-
ary institution, called the United States Naval
Lyceum, formed in 1833 by officers of the service
connected with the port. It contains a miner-
alogical and geological cabinet, and a fine collec-
tion of curiosities of a miscellaneous character.
The government has constructed a dry dock here
similar to that in the United States Navy Yard
at Charlestown, Ms. On the opposite side of the
Wallabout, about half a mile E. of the Navy
Yard, is the Marine Hospital, situated upon a
commanding elevation, and surrounded by about
30 acres of land under high cultivation. In this
bay are always one or more large naval vessels
lying in ordinary. These mark the spot where
lay the Jersey and other British ships, during the
revolutionary war, made use of as prison ships,
for the confinement of those American, soldiers
whom they had taken prisoners in battle, in which
it is said that as many as 11,500 prisoners perished
in the course of the war, from bad air, close con-
finement, and ill treatment. These unhappy men
were buried upon the shore, with little care but to
put their bodies out of sight. In 1808, the bones
of these sufferers were collected, as far as could
then be done, and placed in 13 coffins, correspond-
ing with the old 13 states, and honorably interred
in a commemorative tomb erected for the pur-
pose, not far from the Navy Yard.
The harbor of Brooklyn is extensive, and is
capable of being very largely improved by adding
to the number of its docks and slips. Vessels of
the largest class can come up to its piers, to dis-
charge or receive their cargoes. The Atlantic
Dock is a very extensive basin for the reception
of shipping, about a mile below the South Ferry,
constructed by a company incorporated in 1840,
at a cost of about $1,000,000. The basin within
the piers covers 42% acres, with sufficient depth
of water for the largest ships. The outside pier
extends 3000 feet on Buttermilk Channel. The
piers are furnished with spacious stone ware-
houses. The terminus of the Long Island Rail-
road is located near the landing from the South
Ferry, which connects with New York at the S.
E. corner of the Battery. From the station, the
road is carried, by a long tunnel, under a number
of the most important of the streets of Brooklyn,
which it has to cross in its route.
Greenwood Cemetery, in the S. part of Brook-
lyn, about three miles from Fulton Ferry, is an
extensive and beautiful ground provided by the
cities of New York and Brooklyn for the burial
of their dead. It may be approached either by
this ferry, from which hourly carriages run to the
entrance for a trifling charge, or by another at
the Battery, which passes round and lands its
passengers on the S. side, in the near vicinity.
Greenwood contains 250 acres of ground, one
half or more of which is covered with wood of
the natural forest. The grounds have a varied
surface of hill, and valley, and plain. From some
of the open elevations extensive views are ob-
tained of the ocean, and of the cities of Brooklyn
and New York. The whole cemetery is trav-
ersed by about 15 miles of winding avenues and
paths, leading through each shaded recess, and to
every spot at once hallowed and adorned by the
memorials of the dead. Great improvements
are continually going on, and every year adds
new beauty to this interesting place.
The first settlement of Brooklyn was made at
the Wallabout Bay, by George Jansen Rapelje,
in 1625. The earliest deed for lands on record is
to Thomas Besker, in 1639. October 18, 1667,
Governor Nicholls granted a patent to certain
inhabitants of the town BreuJcelen, for and in be-
half of themselves and their associates, the free-
holders and inhabitants, for all the lands in the
town not taken up in severalty." This patent
was confirmed by Governor Dongan in 1'6S6. In
1670, license was given by Governor Lovelace
to the inhabitants to purchase the Indian title.
With Brooklyn and its immediate neighborhood
is connected the memory of the bloody battle of
August 27, 1776, in which the Americans were
defeated, occasioning the withdrawal of the army
from Long Island into New York.
Brooklyn was incorporated as a village in 1816.
In April, 18-34, the whole territory of the town
was incorporated under the name of the City
of Brooklyn." It is divided into nine wards; and
the powers of the corporation are vested in a-
mayor and a board of aldermen, composed of two
from each ward, all elected by the people.
Brooklyn, Pa. A southern township of Sus-
quehanna co. 171 miles N. N. E. from Harrisburg.
Brooks, Me., Waldo co., 11 miles N. N. W. from
Belfast, and 45 N. E. from Augusta.
Brooksville, Me., Hancock co. On the E. sid s of
Penobscot Bay, opposite to Islesboro' and Castine.
Brookoille, la., c. h. Franklin co. 75 miles S. E.
Brookville, Ky., c. h. Bracken co.
Broome County. N. Y., c. h. at Chenango. On
the S. border. The surface is hilly, the valleys
bordering the streams large and fertile, but the
soil for the most part better adapted to grazing
than the raising of grain. It is watered by the
Susquehanna, Chenango, and Tioughnioga
Rivers, and by Nanticoke Creek. It contains
several sulphur and salt springs. The Chenango
Canal and New York and Erie Railroad pass
through this county.
Broome, N. Y., Schoharie co. Watered by
Schoharie and Catskill Creeks. The surface is
hilly and mountainous; soil indifferent, except
in the valleys, where it is fertile. 38 miles S. W.
Brown County, Is., c. h. at Mount Sterling.
On the W. bank of the Illinois River. Drained by
McKee's and Crooked Creeks. Surface slightly
uneven; soil productive.
Brown County, la., c. h. at Nashville. S. cen-
tral part of the state. Watered by Salt Creek
and its branches. Surface undulating and hilly;
Brown County, O. In the S. W. angle, bor-
dering on the Ohio River. On the N. it is
watered by Eagle, Red Oak, Straight, and White
Oak Creeks, besides the Ohio River and the E.
fork of Little Miami. The soil is fertile and
Brown, Pa., Lycoming co. Pine Cre.ek and its
branches water this town. Surface mountainous;
Brown County, Wn., c. h. Depere. In the E.
part of the state, including Green Bay. Surface
diversified ; soil of good quality.
Brownfield, Me., Oxford co. 81 miles S. E-
Brownstown, la., c. h. Jackson co. On the E.