; — The proximity of Belfast to the sea, its site
in relation to Penobscot River, and its excellent
harbor, which was never known to have been ob-
! structed by ice but twice, (1780, 1815,) give it
! peculiar advantages for foreign commerce, the
coasting trade, and the fisheries. Considerable
! ship building is carried on at this place. The
| tonnage of the district of Belfast in 1850 was
44,335 tons. The principal e^Gports are lumber
t and fish. Population, 1810, i259; 1820,2026;
1,830, 3077: 1840, 4186; 1850, 5052. Belfast,
although irregularly built, is a pleasant town, and
on account of its fine open harbor is an impor-
i tant winter mart of the trade of Penobscot River.
Belfast, N. Y., Alleghany co. Watered by the
Genesee River, and some of its tributaries. The
Genesee Valley Canal leaves the river at this
place. Surface uneven; soil, sandy loam. 262
'miles W. from Albany.
Belfast, Pa. An eastern township of Bedford
Belknap County, N. H., c. h. at Gilford. Cen-
| tral. On the south side of Lake Winnipiseogee.
! It has many other beautiful lakes and ponds
within its limits. Some of the lands are high,
I and present a great variety of picturesque scenery.
; Though rough and uneven, and in some parts
rocky, the soil is generally productive. The
streams are numerous, rapid, and durable, and
have a great hydraulic power.
Bell County, Ts., c. h. at Bellton.
Bellefontaine, O., c. h. Logan co. On the rail-
road from Cincinnati to Sandusky city, and 69
miles N. W. from Columbus.
Beliefonte,. Aa., c. h. Jackson co. On Paint
Rock River, about 2 miles W. from Tennessee
River, and 166 miles N. E. from Tuscaloosa.
Bellefonte, Pa., c. h. Centre co. On Spring
Creek, a branch of Bald Eagle River. 85 miles W.
from Harrisburg. A place of extensive trade in
the iron business. Connected with West Branch
Canal by Bald Eagle and Spring Creek Canal.
Belleville, Is., c. h. St. Clair co. 13 miles E. S.
E. from St. Louis, and 100 S. by W. from Spring-
field. Steam power is employed in some large
flouring mills, and there are various other manu-
Belleville, N. J., Essex co. On the W. side of
Passaic River. It has fine water' power, and cot-
ton and woollen, paper, dyeing and printing, and
Belleville, Ts., c. h. Austin co.
Bellingham, Ms., Norfolk co. Soil light and
sandy. It is watered by Charles River, and has
a good hydraulic power. The factory villages
lie at the N. part of the town, 4 miles from the
centre village. 28 miles S. W.from Boston, and
18 S. W. from Dedham, with which it is con-
nected by the Norfolk County Railroad.
Belmont, Me., Waldo co. Watered by the
Paasaggassawakeag, which rises in a pond of that
name, and empties at Belfast, about 6 miles N.
It is 34 miles E. from Augusta.
Belmont, N. Y., Pranklin co. Chateaugay and
Trout Rivers flow through this town, and it con-
tains several small lakes. The surface is hilly,
and in some parts mountainous. 10 miles S. E.
from Malone, and 202 from Albany.
Belmont County, O., in the eastern part of the
state, having the Ohio River on its eastern boun-
dary, separating it from Ohio co. in Virginia. On
the W., on the N. W., and on the N. E., it is
bounded by the counties of Guernsey, Harrison,
and Jefferson, and by Munroe on the S. Its
greatest length, on the northern line, is 30 miles,
and its breadth 20, having an area of 520 square
miles. The high table land between the valleys
of the Ohio and the Muskingum Rivers divides this
county into two nearly equal sections. Small
creeks flow eastward into the Ohio, and westward
the Will's and Stillwater branches of the Mus-
kingum flow into that river. The whole surface .
of this county is uneven, consisting of a series of
hills, with deep, narrow intervening valleys. Yet
the soil is almost uniformly productive; suitable
for grazing and for the culture of wheat and corn.
St. Clairville is the chief town.
Bellvue, Is., c. h. Jackson co.
Belvidere, Is., c. h. Boone co. On the E. head
waters of Rock River.
Belvidere, N. J., c. h. Warren co. At the junc-
tion of Pequest River with the Delawane. 57 m.
N. N. W. from Trenton. The Pequest has a fall
here of about 50 ft. within a mile from its mouth,
affording a heavy water power. There is also a
fall of about 22 feet in the Delaware, and these
two privileges together are greater than any
others in the state. A fine bridge here crosses
Belvidere, Vt., Lamoille co. A considerable
paid is mountainous, and unfit for cultivation.
Watered by two branches of the River Lamoille.
18 miles N. W. from Hyde Park, and 45 N. W.
from Montpelier. •
Bellows1 Falls, Vt., Windham co., lies 98 miles
S. by E. from Montpelier. See Rockingham, Vt.
Benicia, Ca., Salano co. On the strait be-
tween San Pablo and Suisum Bays, about 40 m.
N. E. from San Francisco. Ships of the largest
size can lie here close to the town, which is laid
out on a handsome slope towards the hills. It
is a port of entry, with an arsenal, navy station,
and docks of the Pacific Steam Packet Co. for
refitting their steamers.
Bennington, N. H., Hillsboro' co. Taken from
Greenfield, Francestown, Deering, and Hancock,
Bennington, N. Y., Wyoming co. Drained by
the Cayuga and Tonawanda Creeks. The sur-
face is rolling, the soil fertile, consisting of a
moist clay. 256 miles W. from Albany.
Bennington County, Vt. Bennington and Man-
chester, shire towns. In the S. W. the low
lands are excellent, but the largest portion
of the county is mountainous, and fit only for
grazing. Many streams rise in the mountains,
and descend to the ocean, some by the Hudson
and some by the Connecticut, affording a great
hydraulic power. Iron ores of good quality are
found in this county, and large quantities of beau-
tiful white marble.
Bennington, Vt. Half shire town of Benning-
ton co. The other is Manchester, 25 rn. distant.
Of good alluvial soil, delightfully enriched by
evergreen mountains. It abounds in iron ore,
manganese, ochre, and marble. The streams
are numerous, and afford excellent mill sites.
120 miles S. W. by S. from Montpelier. The man-
ufacture of a new species of earthen ware, or
rather stone ware, of a fine quality, has recently
been commenced here. It is from a mixture
of flint, quartz, and feldspar, which unites, with
much lightness and beauty, the advantages of
great general strength, and especially the ability
to stand fire, which is an important recommenda-
tion. The patent of the manufacturers is for the